Yingluck Sues Thai Rath Cartoonist For Defamation

webfact

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Win, lose or draw... Abhisit's supporters, will think twice before their next 'comparison'.

Maybe they could join Thai Visa...

You seem to be the person to ask, is this a good sign as to the current health of the Thai democracy?

Edited by OzMick

I must has missed something. Is there a suggestion that the Thai Rath cartoonist Chai Rachawat is an Abhisit supporter? Given the issue, could it even be called relevant that some suggest that supporters of the Opposition Leader Abhisit should be more careful in 'comparing' the current government with what is normal in democracies? Is Thailand gliding down the slippery slope of censorship while having the PM talks about harm done to her family?

I must has missed something. Is there a suggestion that the Thai Rath cartoonist Chai Rachawat is an Abhisit supporter? Given the issue, could it even be called relevant that some suggest that supporters of the Opposition Leader Abhisit should be more careful in 'comparing' the current government with what is normal in democracies? Is Thailand gliding down the slippery slope of censorship while having the PM talks about harm done to her family?

Criticism of the current goverment entitles you to, ABSOLUTELY FREE, a yellow shirt, life-membership of the Democrat party, and a introductory consultation with a defence lawyer. If your criticism has legal validity, you may also get ABSOLUTELY FREE an extended visit from a variable number of red shirt thugs, and publication of your contact details (BONUS includes family members) in the famous red shirt hate mail directory.

What is this? Is this the proposal for the new version of the Thai Elite card membership.....I want one.

""Please understand that prostitutes are not bad women. Prostitutes only sell their bodies, but a bad woman has been wandering around trying to sell the country.""

I don't know what was written in Thai, but in English it looks more a case for the prostitutes as they are thought to be like PM Yingluck whereas it's clear from the text that the prostitutes are NOT bad women

Maybe that is why she is suing she is being referred to as a bad women not a prostitute.

Who knows what goes on in the mind of a clone. Science is still working on that.

Given the governments rate of running up the national debt and proposing an additional 2.2 trillion debt and the fact to get the credit they had to shift the 1997 debt to I believe it was the BOT not sure of the department they transfer it to.

Her supporters rather than say it is OK to do it choose to compare the country to other countries. They do that because they know it is not OK to run the National dept up to line the pockets of personal people with money from the Government Treasury. Now why do you supose they would support that?

Win, lose or draw... Abhisit's supporters, will think twice before their next 'comparison'.

Maybe they could join Thai Visa...

You seem to be the person to ask, is this a good sign as to the current health of the Thai democracy?

I am sure it will play well in the news around the world.

Some people will do and say any thing to draw attention to Thailand.

Lighten up possum. Thailand has the reputation as being the biggest brothel in the world and every establishment needs a madame.thumbsup.gif You applied for the job. Politician worldwide are public property and are going to be the subject of cartoons, it comes with the territory. If a person can't handle this in the public arena then they are in the wrong job.

Geez look at your girlfriend Julia in Aust, she is the subject of this on a daily basis (24/7) but let's it fly and doesn't run to the courts. Take a cup of cement and Harden Up.

If this hits the international media, which I have no doubt it will you will look like a fool amongst your peers.

Will Yingluck try to sue the Australian pres if they repeat the words? Good luck with that and her "credibility". What happens is foreign media call her an "airhead"?

Lighten up possum. Thailand has the reputation as being the biggest brothel in the world and every establishment needs a madame.thumbsup.gif You applied for the job. Politician worldwide are public property and are going to be the subject of cartoons, it comes with the territory. If a person can't handle this in the public arena then they are in the wrong job.

Geez look at your girlfriend Julia in Aust, she is the subject of this on a daily basis (24/7) but let's it fly and doesn't run to the courts. Take a cup of cement and Harden Up.

If this hits the international media, which I have no doubt it will you will look like a fool amongst your peers.

Will Yingluck try to sue the Australian pres if they repeat the words? Good luck with that and her "credibility". What happens is foreign media call her an "airhead"?

After this little trick that is a possibility.

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

I doubt it because the Australian public and courts would laugh so bloody hard that she would shrink away and never be heard of again.

I wonder what will happen to the cartoonist. Hope it's not the same as the journalist in the other paper who (correctly) reported on cracks in the runways at Swampy and was attacked by the pro Thaksin mafia as well as his editor being forced to fire him.

If my memory serves me correctly, some months ago a PTP male MP made sexual jibes at a female opposition member in Parliament. No action from Yingluck or her female MPs.

Welcome to politics Yingluck. First overt brotherly love speech is panned & you react just like a Shinawatra to some petty cartoon.

I wonder what will happen to the cartoonist. Hope it's not the same as the journalist in the other paper who (correctly) reported on cracks in the runways at Swampy and was attacked by the pro Thaksin mafia as well as his editor being forced to fire him.

If my memory serves me correctly, some months ago a PTP male MP made sexual jibes at a female opposition member in Parliament. No action from Yingluck or her female MPs.

Welcome to politics Yingluck. First overt brotherly love speech is panned & you react just like a Shinawatra to some petty cartoon.

Well, cartoons should have some element of humour. She shouldn't sue of course, but this is just a crap insult. Anyone have the graphics.

I wonder how he drew yingluck?

Well, cartoons should have some element of humour. She shouldn't sue of course, but this is just a crap insult. Anyone have the graphics.

The comment was made under a couple of photos - it wasn't a cartoon.

""Please understand that prostitutes are not bad women. Prostitutes only sell their bodies, but a bad woman has been wandering around trying to sell the country.""

I don't know what was written in Thai, but in English it looks more a case for the prostitutes as they are thought to be like PM Yingluck whereas it's clear from the text that the prostitutes are NOT bad women

In your use of the English, you are implying PM Yingluck is a bad women - at least the cartoonist didn't mention the name Yingluck in this context - probably because he is aware of the defamation law, unlike yourself it seems.

Terribly sorry and all that. Excuses all over. Please understand I'm a Dutchman, a Dutch uncle even. I'm blunt by birth, nature, education. I lack a certain level of respect for official figures, even when not mocking them. To English that must be difficult to understand at times rolleyes.gif

BTW I might imply, but certainly I didn't say, now did I?wink.png

Don't tell me, save it for the court. Personally speaking I don't think you'll find that's much of a defence though...............

In your use of the English, you are implying PM Yingluck is a bad women - at least the cartoonist didn't mention the name Yingluck in this context - probably because he is aware of the defamation law, unlike yourself it seems.

Terribly sorry and all that. Excuses all over. Please understand I'm a Dutchman, a Dutch uncle even. I'm blunt by birth, nature, education. I lack a certain level of respect for official figures, even when not mocking them. To English that must be difficult to understand at times rolleyes.gif

Don't tell me, save it for the court. Personally speaking I don't think you'll find that's much of a defence though...............

He could try "politically motivated prosecution".

• Like 1

Yes, but wouldn't want to expand the list of defendants for her legal team to sue.

BTW, editorial cartoons very often don't have elements of humor, but of poignancy.

This editorial cartoon has it.

So the fact the write cartoonist is pretty irrelevant.

Hmmm. Just a crap insult then.

So the fact the write cartoonist is pretty irrelevant.

Hmmm. Just a crap insult then.

I doubt that he was insulted being described by his legitimate occupation, at which he is apparently quite talented. Which is more than we can say for some others.

Yes, but wouldn't want to expand the list of defendants for her legal team to sue.

BTW, editorial cartoons very often don't have elements of humor, but of poignancy.

This editorial cartoon has it.

Yes and no. Most political cartoons have a play on words, or a contrary visual or an absurd visual. A picture and an insult is pretty lame to me.

That doesn't mean it is OK that she sues. A witty put down would be much better.

OK not a cartoon (I was only following the description in the Op, your honour). Crap insult to you, a truthful one to others. Also a lot milder than the many insults thrown at Abhisit by the red shirts.

• Like 1

OK not a cartoon (I was only following the description in the Op, your honour). Crap insult to you, a truthful one to others. Also a lot milder than the many insults thrown at Abhisit by the red shirts.

She should have just let it go. A caricature of yingluck dressed as a ho, would be quite funny, if a bit close to the bone.

I think they dressed Maggie as a dominatrix on spitting image.

Until Thailand abolishes its defamation laws and adopts an alternative and more reasonable set of libel and slander statutes the country will be unable to move forward.

The current situation enables Truth to be hidden, which is not in the Thai peoples' best interest. Far better for the "victim" to have to prove any statement to be untrue before being able to obtain a remedy at law.

These defamation cases are used as a "gagging" method to silence annoying truths, more often than not.

Proving genuine damage should be a requisite

My dear mutt, as you regularly tell me my posts as nonsense, incorrect or just plain wrong and with English my second or third language only, I doubt my scriblings in English can be seen as defaming the character of our PM. By the way, you did explicitly write what you thought I was implying. That makes you about as guilty or even more so. Maybe we can share a cell, in Laksi Prison for political figures? We can have discussions with k. Korkaew as well there smile.png

• Like 1

Why doesn't the government make it easy for everyone and add the name Shinawatra to the other prohibitions under the Lese Majesty law ?

Agreed in practice, but in principle the law is established for those who deserve the rights of protection by the state. Leste Mageste legislation protects (in particular) a person who has contributed most of his life to a country and has asked for little in return. What he has is subject to private discussions. But what he has given is much more than the current, or the previous administration.

My personal opinion is that it is time laws were introduced to ensure those holding portfolios have qualifications and experience relevant to contribute to the area in which they control. There needs to be levels of accountability for wrongdoings bought into place as well. It should not be the place of the PM to sue such people, but the judgement of the Thai Police to establish if such an article breaches any criminal laws. If it does not, would she not be better highlighting the post as an example of how some men would do better with the ladies by treating them a little nicer?

She has hardly earnt her place in the books of the Leste Majeste legislation, nor is it her place to sue the press in an attempt to muzzle free voice on politics. We all know her own red shirt supporters have done far worse, in the distant past, as well as in the very recent past. Get on with your job and start doing it with a little inspiration.

Freedom House just released its annual report on the freedom of the press and for the second year in a row, Thailand was rated "Not Free".

Yingluck suing a newspaper over an editorial cartoon won't help next year's report.

• Like 1