Any Surfers Here?

ShawnA

Hi,

I have some questions about surfing in Phuket and was hoping someone could help. I live in Phuket Town and am a beginner (I've surfed about 6 times before).

1. Where can I buy a used board from? There are some places with used short boards, but since I'm a beginner, those aren't much use for me. I've checked with about 3 places, but there's only one with a used longboard.

2. Should I say away from used boards that have been broken? The only used longboard I've found has been broken, it looks like in 3 places. One looks like a complete break in half -- the owner said he's fixed it with wood to connect the two broken pieces and that it won't break in this place again. But I'm not sure I should believe him.

3. If I buy a board, where can I keep it? I own a motorbike, and it seems foolish to drive a surf board on a motorbike from Phuket Town to Kata (or whatever beach). There's one shop on the beach that says he'll only store a surf board if I buy it from him, and I asked a couple of beachside stands whether I can pay them to store it, but they said it could easily get stolen.

I'm finding it tough to figure this out and hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Shawn

I suggest you rent a soft foam long board and try it a few times before you decide to buy anything. The shop owners are right, they can't guarantee to keep your board safe. If you like it that much, you'll move closer to the beach or figure out a way to get your board to the beach. The surf here really isn't that good anyway IMO.

First thing is this, you are beginner yes ? First learn about surfing and its history.

Start w/ longboard this will help w/ paddling and getting used to riding. Buy a cheap but somewhat good condition board, learn on that then upgrade later. As you get better then go out and get a new board. Choa fa west road there is a shop that sells surf and paddle boards. They are not cheap here range from 18000 to 30000 for very hi end board. There are some guys in Rawai making custom boards Lane Mead i think is shaping in Nai Harn but run about 19000 bht, but thats for later in your surf career. The last thing you want to do is buy a killer new stick surf it, and have some kook cut you off and break your new ride. Baby steps, it will be better in the long run.

I'm from Maui Hawai'i and have surfed all over the world, Phuket has some fun waves but very inconsistent. Still i have had some great times surfing here and khao lak. Good luck and see you in the water.

Aloha

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Weight and height have nothing to do w/ board size. Volume of board now that can help if over 180 lbs plus. Kelly Slater rides a 5'8" quad and he weighs about 170 lbs. This is the board he rode Pipeline this winter, while most rode 6'10 to 7'0".plus.

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Since for sure riding a bike with a board from Phuket Town is going to be a headache, just rent a long board down at Kata (for now).

Don't ever buy a board thats been completely broken, and buy once you actually know how to surf and can understand the type of board that suits you.

Down past The Boathouse where the point does shelter the beach a little is typically a good beginner wave.

Have to learn how to paddle before you can learn to surf.

• Like 1

you can keep one at my place if you want, i'm in rawai, not that close to the beach but closer than town

i'm actually somewhat interested in learning too although i'm an absolute newbee. i can windsurf however

maybe you could make your own board

Edited by stevehaigh

by the way, where is the best beginner spots? i'm guessing Nai Harn? i see a lot of people there

there some on bahtsold for about 8000. if you are interested, i may be interested in going half shares with you. i probably wouldn't use it that much

and i have a pickup so i can get it to the beach easy

Edited by stevehaigh

by the way, where is the best beginner spots? i'm guessing Nai Harn? i see a lot of people there

there some on bahtsold for about 8000. if you are interested, i may be interested in going half shares with you. i probably wouldn't use it that much

Hi Steve.

I hope all is well with you.

Kata Beach rent a longboard. Walk down past the boathouse and paddle out there. Typically since the point shelters that cove a bit, there are just small slow rollers. Learn to paddle into a wave, learn to get to your feet quickly, in the beginning just ride straight in. Turning comes after you are comfortable with first three. When you fall off always remember to go in feet first.

Nai Harn not a good beginner wave. Saw a guy yesterday doing face plants into shallow waters, good way to break your neck. Cheers mate, GOM

• Like 1

Hi Steve.

Kata Beach rent a longboard. Walk down past the boathouse and paddle out there. Typically since the point shelters that cove a bit, there are just small slow rollers. Learn to paddle into a wave, learn to get to your feet quickly, in the beginning just ride straight in. Turning comes after you are comfortable with first three. When you fall off always remember to go in feet first.

Nai Harn not a good beginner wave. Saw a guy yesterday doing face plants into shallow waters, good way to break your neck. Cheers mate, GOM

thanks, do you happen to know how much for longboard rental?

Hi Steve.

150thb, I think gets you two hours. After seeing me many times over the years, I was able to get it to 100.

Hi Steve.

150thb, I think gets you two hours. After seeing me many times over the years, I was able to get it to 100.

not bad, not worth buying for that

thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go when i'm not dying of flu

you can keep one at my place if you want, i'm in rawai, not that close to the beach but closer than town

i'm actually somewhat interested in learning too although i'm an absolute newbee. i can windsurf however

maybe you could make your own board

Hi Steve, thanks for the offer to keep the board at your place, much appreciated... but yeah, as you mentioned 150 for two hours isn't too bad to start off with. I've been down to Nautilus Surf Shop on the far south end of Kata Beach a couple of times -- the rental price was 500 for a full day, 400 for a half, and I can't remember the hourly prices. There were also people that brought surf boards on their scooters and rented them out (although the ones I spoke to were much more expensive).

If you're interested in heading down to the beach and surfing, let me know. Might be fun with a fellow beginner. My phone is 091 529 2412.

Another option for anyone thinking of doing a long term rental of a board is to go in together and negotiate a deal. My girlfriend and I are looking to rent long term (if we can't find a suitable purchase). If we can get one or two more people, we may be able to get good deal.

Another option for anyone thinking of doing a long term rental of a board is to go in together and negotiate a deal. My girlfriend and I are looking to rent long term (if we can't find a suitable purchase). If we can get one or two more people, we may be able to get good deal.

i'm very interested and as a total beginner would love to go with someone for a few tips.

i'll call you and we can work something out.

• Like 1

I am surfing in Kata at the moment, and the Nautilus prices are 150 baht/ hr, 250/2 hrs, 400 baht/ half day, 500 baht whole day. If, I was you I would just rent, hauling a longboard around is a pain in the @@@. Trust me, as a beginner you will be dead tired after two hrs and very happy not to have to worry about your longboard. If you get bitten by the surf bug, which you probably will, after your first wave.....you will change your whole lifestyle around to suit the sole purpose of being able to surf, as much as possible. Don't buy anything, at these prices rent and invest in a few lessons. Watch and observe the waves and more accomplished surfers. Phuket is not so bad for surfing, I was quite surprised. Enjoy it and remember, baby steps!

I checked the surf at Nai Harn this afternoon. Totally closed out. I didn't see anyone take off. But decent size. Looked pretty dangerous if you don't have a clue... Be safe out there!

I checked the surf at Nai Harn this afternoon. Totally closed out. I didn't see anyone take off. But decent size. Looked pretty dangerous if you don't have a clue... Be safe out there!

Yes, today was harsh in Kata, waves dumped real fast. However tomorrow, is supposed to be more forgiving!

Yes, today was harsh in Kata, waves dumped real fast. However tomorrow, is supposed to be more forgiving!

It depends on the tide, the swell direction as well as the location of the beach... You can check the tide table here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/tides/

You will start out in the foam(whitewash).....the best area is south kata, smaller breaks, shallow water. Take lessons first, at least one...or have someone show you the basics, practice for a few times, then take another lesson and move on to paddling, green waves etc....its' not a race, just have fun....

I am surfing in Kata at the moment, and the Nautilus prices are 150 baht/ hr, 250/2 hrs, 400 baht/ half day, 500 baht whole day. If, I was you I would just rent, hauling a longboard around is a pain in the @@@. Trust me, as a beginner you will be dead tired after two hrs and very happy not to have to worry about your longboard. If you get bitten by the surf bug, which you probably will, after your first wave.....you will change your whole lifestyle around to suit the sole purpose of being able to surf, as much as possible. Don't buy anything, at these prices rent and invest in a few lessons. Watch and observe the waves and more accomplished surfers. Phuket is not so bad for surfing, I was quite surprised. Enjoy it and remember, baby steps!

500 baht a day for a bit of 20 year old foam and fiberglass. You could rent a room and a motorscooter for that price, and people have the hide to complain about tuk tuk drivers prices