How Can I Trim Down My Living Expenses In Chiang Mai.

Ringmybells

Life is actually quite good...but if possible, it doesn't hurt to save for rainy days:-)

Travelling the world... Kids in school... College funds sorted. You don't get to be in a position like that without knowing what money is all about.

There are lots and lots of people on the forum of various ages, various backgrounds and who have various skill sets who are more than happy to share their knowledge. There are also lots who like a more lightsided way which keeps up a somewhat jovial mood on the forum such as the 'ditch the kids' remark. I thought it was quite funny myself and am as certain as I can be it was meant in a funny manner.

Anyway, given you are hooked up to a rental agreement and the electricity bill is inextricably linked to it, you really can't save anything on it (rent) unless you can renegotiate the price which is highly unlikely. You are left with outgoings on the periphery which are small in value and therefore constrained by its value. You can't save 6k on a 3k bill but you can in theory save 3k on a 3k bill.

Long and the short is IMO that you have sod all chance of reducing your outgoings by 30% on the information thus far but you could perhaps get 10% which is not to be sniffed at. Buy bulk dry goods at Makro as you are here 'til next Feb. Buy fruit and veg which is in season so very cheaper and preserve them via freezing or salting etc. Mangos are just falling off the trees where I live so the ants are having them, they could be used to make jam or chutney.. bananas too. Coconuts, which are everywhere on Samui, just ripen and fall to the ground. When they get dark brown someone piles them up and burns them!

Transport can cost a bit but I'm not sure about CM, I pretty much walk everywhere as I'm never in a rush.

To really scrape the barrel on saving but it is more healthy. If you are having rice and use a steamer then steam the vegetables over it or in it if they are small or finely chopped.

Johnno

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Chou Dou <deleted>

I checked with my wife, that seems a Cantonese pronounciation. Chou means "stinky". Dou <deleted> means "bean curd". The first picture looks like it too.

If it's in Mandarin, Chou may mean "deep-fried". The second picture looks it.

The third picture looks fermented bean curd. You take one little cube in your mouth you will be salted to death.

CM makes good bean curd. In fact, inside the talaat (fresh market) next to Rimping has good bean curd for B15 a big block. We buy it all the time to drop them into soups, fry with ground pork and shrimp - similar to what in the States called shrimp with lobster sauce. One time, I thought about making it myself since we can't find any decent bean curd in Bangkok; it always has this smoke taste in it!

"Oil Fried Devils" (bpa tong ko) , sarapao tawt, sankayaa and soya bean milk from 6am along Soi Udompon at the Don Lamy Yi market .

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Chiangmai+District+Court+Si+Phum+Chiang+Mai+Thailand&hl=en&ll=18.789713,99.001182&spn=0.000904,0.003484&sll=-37.860283,145.079616&sspn=1.704393,3.56781&oq=chiangmai,+thailand&t=m&hq=Chiangmai+District+Court&hnear=Si+Phum,+Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.789713,99.001182&panoid=F3uqzPPMmd6OEHD8JciuSw&cbp=11,55.68,,0,0

Ditch the kids - they are very expensive and often not worth the money.

I certainly hope you are not a parent.

I'm certainly glad my parents knew a joke when they saw one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Lots of good advice here. The only thing I could add is to purchase things on sale in bulk. As you are not short of funds and just trying to save as much as you can make large qty purchases of item when they are on sale. The savings will add up over time.

• Like 1

how do you balance your life being a MOM and a WIFE, incredible really. Incorporate going around the world (in 80 days), living in Chiang Mai then moving to Europe. You must be "super woman"

Bit of a childish DH aren't you

• Like 1

So you have about 1,200 baht in disposable income every day but you want to bring that down to 626 -- so essentially half. That's a pretty tight budget if you have a family. I hope your kids are covered for health insurance if you eat street food all the time because the time will come when they get a severe bout of food poisoning. Also, all types of funky rotoviruses are floating around in Thailand and based on my experience and two kids, and my friends that have kids, every child I know here in Thailand has spent at least on one occasion 2 or 3 nights at a hospital due to illness. That's 40,000 at a minimum unless you are going to a government hospital.

It may be infeasible for you to move to smaller crib based on the size of your family and 12,000 is not that much for shelter, although your utility costs seem quite high. Maybe you can run the AC less?

And I agree with many other posters who say cook at home. A lot of that street food is loaded with msg and it's sold ALONG THE STREET, which means all types of grime and crap inevitably lands on the food. All day long cars, motorcycles buzzing by. Think about the health of your kids first, but fresh food at the store and cook it yourself. Big C typically has the cheapest prices on meat and veggies.

• Like 1

I thought Chiang Mai living cost should be lower then Bangkok.Anyway try this,rent a place maybe about 7-8,000 baht per month,it's possible.Buy stock at Tesco budget at 700-800 baht per week= limit at 3,000 baht per month.Transportation for 4 person by bus- 2,000 per month.Total about 13 ,000 per month.Maybe you want to eat something special KFC, McDonald,Italian etc then you adjust minus. I should say you could do something like 14-15,000 max per month.Do you drink?,then drink at home..You need a hard discipline to work this method but pity your kids,they might not have a good childhood like other kids....what about their education.?

all the advice seems a bit silly if you have 2 kids in international school : at least 500.000 baht per year per child, right?

or is there an international company paying for that ?

all the advice seems a bit silly if you have 2 kids in international school : at least 500.000 baht per year per child, right?

They're toddlers. And some international kindergartens aren't all that much. Probably around 120K per kid per year.

However, your implied point does stand IMHO; There are a couple 800 pound gorillas in the room that make the discussion on saving a couple hundred here and there on a different brand of cheese, mixing your muesli or weaving your own yogurt a little silly.

Especially as she will move from buying cheap restaurant food to doing her own cooking; doing that costs more, not less.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

every child I know here in Thailand has spent at least on one occasion 2 or 3 nights at a hospital due to illness. That's 40,000 at a minimum unless you are going to a government hospital.

That must have been a serious illness. 3 nights in a private hospital here in CM for my youngest with blood tests etc for high fever cost 7000 baht. I thought that was excessive.

The 6 Most Common Financial Mistakes

It is indeed a material world. When it comes to
spending, the Western World is a culture of consumption. The result: rising
levels of consumer debt and declining household savings rates. But in 2008, this
culture was hit hard by economic reality. According to the Federal Reserve, U.S.
household debt grew steadily from the time the Fed started tracking it in 1952.
It declined for the first time in the third quarter of 2008. As a result of
the credit
crisis
and ensuing economic recession,
savings rates also rebounded. For those who had been living beyond their means
for years, it suddenly got a lot harder to make ends meet. And, although the
government tends to encourage spending during economic downturn and statistics
may lead us to think that overspending is normal, it is often a risky choice.
Here we'll take a look at seven of the most common financial mistakes that often
lead people to major economic hardship. Even if you're already facing financial
difficulties, steering clear of these mistakes could be the key to
survival.

Mistake No. 1: Excessive/Frivolous
Spending

Great fortunes are often lost one dollar at time. It may not
seem like a big deal when you pick up that double-mocha cappuccino, stop for a
pack of cigarettes, have dinner out or order that pay-per-view movie, but every
little item adds up. Just $25 per week spent on dining out costs you $1,300 per
year, which could go toward an extra mortgage payment or a number of extra car
payments. If you're enduring financial hardship, avoiding this mistake really
matters - after all, if you're only a few dollars away from foreclosure or
bankruptcy, every dollar will count more than ever.

Mistake No. 2: Never-Ending
Payments

Ask yourself if you really need items that keep you paying
for every month, year after year. Things like cable television, subscription
radio and video games, cell phones and pagers can force you to pay
unceasingly but leave you owning nothing. When money is tight, or you just want
to save more, creating a leaner lifestyle can go a long way to fattening your
savings and cushioning your from financial hardship.

Mistake No. 3: Living on Borrowed
Money

Using credit cards
to buy essentials has become somewhat normal. But even if an ever-increasing
number of consumers are willing to pay double-digit interest
rates
on gasoline, groceries and a host of other items that are gone long
before the bill is paid in full, don't be one of them. Credit card interest
rates make the price of the charged items a great deal more expensive. Depending
on credit also makes it more likely that you'll spend more than you earn

Mistake No. 4: Buying a New Car

Millions
of new cars are sold each year, although few buyers can afford to pay for them
in cash. However, the inability to pay cash for a new car means an inability to
afford the car. After all, being able to afford the payment is not the same as
being able to afford the car. Furthermore, by borrowing money to buy a car, the
consumer pays interest on a depreciating
asset, which amplifies the difference between the value of the car and the price
paid for it. Worse yet, many people trade in their cars every two or three
years, and lose money on every trade.

Sometimes a person has no choice
but to take out a loan to buy a car, but how much does any consumer really need
a large SUV? Such vehicles are expensive to buy, insure and fuel. Unless you tow
a boat or trailer, or need an SUV to earn a living, is an eight-cylinder engine
worth the extra cost of taking out a large loan? If you need to buy a car and/or
borrow money to do so, consider buying one that uses less gas and costs less to
insure and maintain. Cars are expensive. You might need one, but if you're
buying more car than you need, you're burning through money that could have
been saved or used to pay off debt.

Mistake No. 5: Buying Too Much
House

When it comes to buying a house, bigger is also not necessarily
better. Unless you have a large family, choosing a 6,000-square-foot home will
only mean more expensive taxes, maintenance and utilities. Do you really want
to put such a significant, long-term dent in your monthly budget?

Mistake No. 6: Treating Your Home Equity Like a
Piggy Bank

Your home is your castle. Refinancing and taking cash out
on it means giving away ownership to someone else. It also costs you thousands
of dollars in interest and fees. Smart homeowners want to build equity, not make
payments in perpetuity. In addition, you'll end up paying way more for your home
than it's worth, which virtually ensures that you won't come out on top when you
decide to sell.
  • Like 1

If you don't want to do your own cooking, or don't know how to cook cheap tasty meals with local food, consider hiring a maebaan to cook several curries and soup stock you can freeze and to wash and chop fruits and vegetables one morning or afternoon per week. 200-300 B plus the cost of ingredients could get you a week or more of healthy meals for the whole family. I would guess, although I haven't done the math and it obviously depends on how cheaply you buy ingredients, that you would be able to eat more cheaply and healthier this way than with street food.

Also, re-read your lease. You may only have to forfeit your deposit if you break the lease. The savings you may be able to find in rent might make that worth it.

Songtaew can be expensive. Are you paying 100 B per ride or 20 B? Where do you need to go and how often? Other transport options may be better and/or cheaper.

If you don't want to do your own cooking, or don't know how to cook cheap tasty meals with local food, consider hiring a maebaan to cook several curries and soup stock you can freeze and to wash and chop fruits and vegetables one morning or afternoon per week. 200-300 B plus the cost of ingredients could get you a week or more of healthy meals for the whole family. I would guess, although I haven't done the math and it obviously depends on how cheaply you buy ingredients, that you would be able to eat more cheaply and healthier this way than with street food.

Cracking idea.

With a family of 4, even though 2 are very young, the OP should certainly be able to recoup the 2-300 Baht as well as being able to learn how certain dishes are prepared to boot.

From another member...

Especially as she will move from buying cheap restaurant food to doing her own cooking; doing that costs more, not less.

On a 30-40 Baht dish from a food stall you are not going to be able to save much but even on a bad day you should break even and you can be certain it will have much less oil, salt and MSG in it.
  • Like 1

They're toddlers. And some international kindergartens aren't all that much. Probably around 120K per kid per year.

However, your implied point does stand IMHO; There are a couple 800 pound gorillas in the room that make the discussion on saving a couple hundred here and there on a different brand of cheese, mixing your muesli or weaving your own yogurt a little silly.

ref my post #71

"if you're stopping by Europe things can't be that bad (thankfully) good luck"

Honestly--I do think it was a joke--hopefully. Although, at times, I could agree.

One large bottle of "Duck" bathroom cleaner in Tops at Airport Plaza @ 106 Bt

Same thing at Makro @ 76 Bt

One heck of a difference.

Normally I'm really lazy at checking prices but after noticing that one I think I should wake up.

I won't mention of course how I cut down on dog food expenditure as some people can't spot the jokes!!!!!

• Like 1

every child I know here in Thailand has spent at least on one occasion 2 or 3 nights at a hospital due to illness. That's 40,000 at a minimum unless you are going to a government hospital.

That must have been a serious illness. 3 nights in a private hospital here in CM for my youngest with blood tests etc for high fever cost 7000 baht. I thought that was excessive.

Wow that's cheap. My kid has been hospitalized several times with high fevers and some viral/bacterial infections which lasted 4 or more days. We've had bills at private hospitals as high as 40,000 easily. But my kid is insured so it never cost me anything more but the monthly payment of around 1K THB.

You need to stay on top of hospitals about everything they use and do, as they do it. Once they print up the bill there is limited wiggle room.

And make sure they don't use imported medications for no other reason than to inflate the bill.

• Like 2

Honestly--I do think it was a joke--hopefully. Although, at times, I could agree.

Of course it's a joke. But regardless, that was a funny comment right there.

There was a time when all Chiang Mai expats had a sense of humor. Now you soccermoms joining in, with the ability to take the craziest little thing far too seriously.

I thought the answer given by the OP to Card's statement was actually quite humorous also! Well, both statements made me laugh.

You need to stay on top of hospitals about everything they use and do, as they do it. Once they print up the bill there is limited wiggle room.

And make sure they don't use imported medications for no other reason than to inflate the bill.

Good advice, Winnie. Hospital is getting very expensive. If you are a foreigner, they tend to use imported medicines without asking or telling you.

Last year, my wife stayed in the hospital for 3 nights due to dengue fever (in Bangkok). The bill was a little bit under 30k. Our former maid was even worse (dengue fever also), one night stay cost her 12k.

I thought the answer given by the OP to Card's statement was actually quite humorous also! Well, both statements made me laugh.

Yes but for different reasons, surely?

One you thought was funny

The other you thought was funny that anyone would take it seriously

Or was that just me? tongue.png

Yes but for different reasons, surely?

One you thought was funny

The other you thought was funny that anyone would take it seriously

Or was that just me? tongue.png

bobl, think if the statement is addressed to you. How are you going to answer? You can ignore it, but that's not quite nice.

Possible answers below?

1. Ha ha ha.

2. yes, I should ditch them

3. yes, they are not worth the money to bring up

4. whatever you say, Mr. Card

Could the answer by the OP also given in a joking manner? It certainly is possible to me.

bobl, think if the statement is addressed to you. How are you going to answer?

The statement wasn't a question, it was a quip. Nothing impolite about ignoring a quip.

bobl, think if the statement is addressed to you. How are you going to answer?

The statement wasn't a question, it was a quip. Nothing impolite about ignoring a quip.

Ok, bobl, you make sense too. But it makes the poster who makes the quip feel better if it's responded somehow; after all, he/she has supported the thread.

We are also making the assumption that the statement made by Mr. Card was a quip. But, could it not be a true statement felt by many? Here, in post 108, by heybilly, "Honestly--I do think it was a joke--hopefully. Although, at times, I could agree."

The OP doesn't look like a bad person, assuming he/she is not trolling, of course. Cut her a slack. No need to be so serious. I don't.

I'm in Manila

Angeles tomorrow

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, but is this the same thread? I mean, the one about somebody trying to live more frugally-where did Manila come from?