Strong Thai Baht Offers Many Possibilities

webfact

Well when you see car manufacturers announcing the expansion they have been, one can only assume they are all idiots right?

up to them, Any answer re the RICE, or the other points ??? wouldn't have expected you to touch the bigger truths. Thai government charging extra tax example,, honda jazz 14, 000 uk pound and in the u.k. 11,000. good if you can be greedily coining it in. if it all goes into the coffers ?

I can't compare apples to apples. In the US the Honda Jazz is called the Honda Fit. They had to extend the front end and build in US crash test abilities. They had to put in more air bags and side guard door beams. They can't sell the Jazz here. I'm happy to pay for all of that in any car I buy, but the "Jazz" would cost me US$16.299 which is about $300 below dealer invoice. That's about 10,500 GBP. This screen shot is from Kelly Blue Book's site.

Thailand doesn't choose to be competitive, or to build good cars. It's all about the almighty baht into the government pocket.

hjy.jpg

While exporters are claiming closure and redundancy, the nation points out that you can take a holiday.

This is one of the dumbest unconnected, out of touch, articles I have ever read.

There is always an up and downside to a strong currency such as generally good for importers but bad for exporters. That is basically the gist of the OP that their are good and bad. Certainly the way you hear people obsess about the strength of the baht here on TV should make you aware that it has a great impact on people's views of traveling and spending money abroad.

How many % of Thai working people can do just that ????good for the 20% ????

have to think about the RICE and tourism along with all the goods manufactured here.

Just what effect it is having in general, for the good or for the bad, IF the answer is in general bad overall, then it should be acted upon. UNLESS the small % don't give a fig about the country, only Burberry-Blue label- or less expensive holidays for the chosen few.

Well when you see car manufacturers announcing the expansion they have been, one can only assume they are all idiots right?

up to them, Any answer re the RICE, or the other points ??? wouldn't have expected you to touch the bigger truths. Thai government charging extra tax example,, honda jazz 14, 000 uk pound and in the u.k. 11,000. good if you can be greedily coining it in. if it all goes into the coffers ?

The rice was screwed before the currency.

Yes the government puts tax on domestic vehicles here as do many. Obviously the export future for cars looks very strong.

Agree the rice WAS screwed. do you only think re cars. many governments do put tax on cars. So the U.Ks tax is still on the Honda is it not ??........But good future for car exports--better still if the bht was realistic.

But the issues faced by the cars is the same as many exporters. Nearly all the inputs are imported.

Next they should reduce import duty on goods and products to increase the competitiveness of the consumer market.

It's about swings and roundabouts, I mentioned the rice as they said strong bht has possibilities- I forget how many billions are to be lost over this. as Thai WERE the No 1 in rice, a weaker bht would help to sell a bit rather than it rotting --how can they afford to let it rot ???

Now the holiday bit was crazy-compare the Thais abroad to the tourists here, sure help the minority.

Edited by ginjag

Fretting about a 1 or 2% change in the value of the baht to dollar is mostly boring for me. It doesn't affect regular people. It mostly affects speculators and those who buy or sell large value items from abroad. People who are fixated on money matters will care about the relative wobble of the baht's value, but there are far greater issues to ponder, and perhaps do something about.

Some examples: Every day, species go extinct. and many others get closer to that precipice. Every day hundreds of rai of once-forested or meadow land gets scraped for buildings or roads, just in Thailand alone. Every day, massive amounts of toxic garbage gets dumped and watersheds get polluted. Every day, young girls are given to unscrupulous manipulators because the girls' parents can't get enough rice to feed the girls' younger brothers and sisters. Yet, the headlines in the Nation shout about a little wobble in the value of the baht.

Motivation in this article is all about spending on fantasy items. That sums up the mentality of the Thai culture. The only sensible answer was to pay for a doctorate.

Did you read everything in the article? Its easy to bash the Thai culture again but please sum up all the replies in the article before you sump up your opinion smile.png

However, some people were more conservative in their thinking, saying they would spend more carefully.

Poomjit Sirawongprasert said she would spend her baht more carefully as the current economic situation was uncertain. "Remaining careful is the best solution," she said.

Rungnapa Sukhmol, who said she always considered every purchase carefully before going ahead with it, also supported this approach.

Sasiwan Newchantug said she dreamed about shopping abroad but in reality, she would spend more carefully.

I did 'sump' up by expressing my opinion. Bottom line dear is Thai's are obsessed in perception of 'face', the 'image' and buy trinkets, fake hand bags, watches, simply to show a brand and so on which is why there was no surprise here when they survey showed they would travel, spend etc. Having the 'red plate' on the new car for 6 months or more, having the latest and greatest gadgets like iPhones and surround sound flat screens - all accessories people can well do without. Then you have others suggesting they would be buying USD - I think would be a recipe for disaster unless there is any positive proof the dollar will come back and there are indications it will lose its status as the 'reserve' currency. The US can never repay its current debt so the obvious solution is declare bankruptcy and fold. (now wont that get the posts going here...). To buy USD now is nuts when it should be around 22 Baht in the not too distant future. Investing in one's future is a sensible idea such as education and perhaps cashed up purchase of one's own home. Gambling on currencies and simply burning money 'cos people thinks it has strength? When its gone, its gone and nothing to show for it is not very wise at all.

• Like 1

Wow this topic went all over heck and back again! Not sure how this topic caused so many people to get angry and personalunsure.png.

The good is for those who can afford to travel out of Thailand and those purchasing capital goods from abroad. In particular, manufacturers should find it easier to afford re-tooling plants with imported equipment. Or, the government and businesses may find it more affordable to buy new, up-to-date software. In this way they should be able to gain an efficiency advantage when the baht returns to normal rates not to mention the return to low cost exports.

It may not be much of a consolation to each and every individual but in general the national economy and some businesses have a chance to strengthen themselves if proper opportunities are taken.

• Like 2

Motivation in this article is all about spending on fantasy items. That sums up the mentality of the Thai culture. The only sensible answer was to pay for a doctorate.

I trust you are talking about a western university.

The Nation could have got a more real perspective on the situation if they had asked the people who don't have computers and therefore are not on facebook.coffee1.gif

While exporters are claiming closure and redundancy, the nation points out that you can take a holiday.

This is one of the dumbest unconnected, out of touch, articles I have ever read.

There is always an up and downside to a strong currency such as generally good for importers but bad for exporters. That is basically the gist of the OP that their are good and bad. Certainly the way you hear people obsess about the strength of the baht here on TV should make you aware that it has a great impact on people's views of traveling and spending money abroad.

How many % of Thai working people can do just that ????good for the 20% ????

have to think about the RICE and tourism along with all the goods manufactured here.

Just what effect it is having in general, for the good or for the bad, IF the answer is in general bad overall, then it should be acted upon. UNLESS the small % don't give a fig about the country, only Burberry-Blue label- or less expensive holidays for the chosen few.

And of course these expansions don't result in more jobs because the only jobs available to the average Thai are working in rice fields crazy.gif

I'm beginning to see a reason Dr. Thaksin is pumping the Baht and overleveraging the economy. 1) Pump up the Baht 2) He and his cronies buy Dollars, Euros, etc., borrowing as much as they can 3) Collapse the Thai economy/Baht 4)Buy back Baht cheaply and pick up amazing bargains 5)Profit!

What a load of crap. Brand products don't go cheaper when the Dollar looses. . they keep the price up. Exports suffer . . but it's not these consumerists who feel the impact. The comments on how much cheaper travelling abroad is silly, the tourists will be shocked by the prices they find abroad. It is still out of the reach for most Thais.

I am smelling a bubble, a slow inflating one. The 2001 bubble was faster. This one is a vulcano that will start with a series of surprises before it's imapct is fully understood

The rich people in Thailand, PTP and the Government can go abroad having a good time

shopping. How about the people in Isaan whom voted on them? Life has been more expencive for them.......no?

Edited by Skywalker69
  • Like 2

I trust you are talking about a western university.

The Nation could have got a more real perspective on the situation if they had asked the people who don't have computers and therefore are not on facebook.coffee1.gif

Yes Western Uni where a degree is harder to obtain than the Thai bus tickets handed out so ceremoniously with the photo op.

The rich people in Thailand, PTP and the Government can go abroad having a good time

shopping. How about the people in Isaan whom voted on them? Life has been more expencive for them.......no?

poor people in Isaan (and elsewhere) have to stay at home. any other questions?

'The only sensible answer was to pay for a doctorate' - which itself is also a 'fantasy item' in the LOS.

whistling.gif

'The only sensible answer was to pay for a doctorate' - which itself is also a 'fantasy item' in the LOS.

whistling.gif

Having proof read and rewritten one English masters degree in Thailand, it worries me that they even have to pay.

The level appeared somewhere between GCSE and A level English literature.

Off topic posts have been removed. Other posts with messed up quote headers have been removed. Learn to use the Insert quotation feature to highlight parts of posts you wish to respond to. Using the BBCode Mode switch to allow posting when maximum quoted posts just screws the headers up.

Surely not a problem, as they all became 'rich within six months' as promised ... erm ... didn't they ? whistling.gif