Innovation At Airport Plaza Driving Range -Chiang Mai

Thailand

I went to take a look at it today, and they have totally ruined a good driving range, and not a soul was using it..! Quite what they had in mind, I don't know..? All they have now is a 100 yd range with some sort of crap targets to aim at..! It used to be owned by the doctor who built the original Sankampaeng golf course, but he must have sold out..? What with the loss of that place, and the old Sansai driving range being razed to build more houses, the options for practice are severely reduced. I don't particularly like Lanna, and the new range off the Mae Jo road stinks of the pig farm next door..! Star Dome is OK, but I am not going to fight the city traffic to get there, unless I happen to be passing that way. sad.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been since Feb. but if the picture can be believed what were they thinking? It now appears to be completely ruined as a driving range, unless you want to go and practice chipping.

Haven't been since Feb. but if the picture can be believed what were they thinking? It now appears to be completely ruined as a driving range, unless you want to go and practice chipping.

That is exactly what it is for. Not for those who simply want to blast their drivers & woods.

Personally find it a pleasant change that forces me to concentrate on the worst part of my game.

If it's any consolation - Hideki Matsuyama a Japanese pro who has played twice in the US Masters 2011 &2012 learnt the game on a 50yard driving range... So you have 100 yards to play with... I am thinking lock in for Masters 2014?

That is exactly what it is for. Not for those who simply want to blast their drivers & woods.

Personally find it a pleasant change that forces me to concentrate on the worst part of my game.

The reason I enjoyed this range before Thailand is the fact that I could practice with all the clubs in my bag. It still had the low yardage targets for chipping. All aspects of my game are in constant need of tweaking lol.

I went to take a look at it today, and they have totally ruined a good driving range, and not a soul was using it..! Quite what they had in mind, I don't know..? All they have now is a 100 yd range with some sort of crap targets to aim at..! It used to be owned by the doctor who built the original Sankampaeng golf course, but he must have sold out..? What with the loss of that place, and the old Sansai driving range being razed to build more houses, the options for practice are severely reduced. I don't particularly like Lanna, and the new range off the Mae Jo road stinks of the pig farm next door..! Star Dome is OK, but I am not going to fight the city traffic to get there, unless I happen to be passing that way. sad.png

You don't mention where you live, but 2 other ranges that are good options are the New Gassan on the superhighway near 121 and the ProShot(?) range on Canal Road just south of Mae Hia market. As to the short game range, they suffered serious damage during a storm a few months ago. The cost to replace all the supports and netting was too much to justify.

The reason I enjoyed this range before Thailand is the fact that I could practice with all the clubs in my bag. It still had the low yardage targets for chipping. All aspects of my game are in constant need of tweaking lol.

I totally understand. But if you are anything like me and the majority of those I see on the standard driving ranges then a few balls are chipped, a few balls are pitched and then the big guns come out to blast the remaining 80per cent + of the balls.

The short game range forces me to concentrate on what I had previously said is the weakest part of my game. By improving that area perhaps 3 or 4 shots per round could easily be shaved off my score andI could break 100, at least for the first 9!

• Like 1