Thailand's Boom Is Sustainable, Unlike The One In 1997

webfact

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So the question investors might ask is, is Thailand's rally sustainable, or it is just undergoing another bubble that will eventually burst? I would argue the former."

I myself would argue the later...

The best hope to avoid a bubble is to allow the market to do it's work. 97 was so bad because they fixed the exchange rate.

A bubble is what? A gross overvaluation for an extended period that has no basis in market fundamentals.

If the Thai property market devalued by 20% would Thailand fall apart? I am not sure, but I don't think the scale of the problem is the same as the USA or EU property markets.

Since money is fungible, the domino effect of people not paying their condo payments will cause the banks to have a shortage of money to pay their creditors and so on. The same thing happed in the U.S. the housing market was the cause but every market suffered.

According to TVF the Thai economy is in dire straits, so i am not sure what this article is all about.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well they say the finance system cant go like the Great Depression anymore. THEY SAY TOOthat tge USA will never allow nukes in Nth Korea. They also say those creams on ya face keep you young and beautiful. well they didnt work for me and THEY forgot about corrupt and greedy lending for self gain. THAT is where THEY are going wrong.

As for Thailand being SUSTAINABLE. hmmm... More condos in Bangkok alone than there are people to buy them... And there is the rest of the country too. so lets see how long the balloon can float up before the air gets too cold and it drops back to earth.

A small physics lesson people... What goes up... Must eventually come down

What goes up must come down it is the law of gravity and economics, also I am sure they were saying a similar thing before the crash in 97!

There's no comparison between now and 1997, in 1997 there was no central bank for starters!

Fact: The actions of the BOT (that's the central bank, dude) were one of the main triggers of the East Asian Financial Crisis.

From Wikipedia: The crisis started in Thailand(well known by the Thais as วิกฤตต้มยำกุ้ง, literary Tom Yum Kung crisis) with the financial collapse of the Thai baht after the Thai government was forced to float the baht (due to lack of foreign currency to support its fixed exchange rate), cutting its peg to the US$, after exhaustive efforts to support it in the face of a severe financial overextension that was in part real estate driven. At the time, Thailand had acquired a burden of foreign debt that made the country effectively bankrupt even before the collapse of its currency.

It's different this time.

Really, it is....trust us.

Do we trust anybody? This report is by a western company... your comment is usually reserved for Thai's. Perhaps this starts a new chain of postings on TV (the whole world is against us!)
The 1997 crash was ignited by a western investor.Posted Image

And it could be again..

The markets... No matter what country you are in... Are like roulette. GE for example makes more profit. . YES PROFIT. .. Than the whole of the Thailand GDP. so if a company like that... And tgere are lots of them bigger... Have an investor... Soros comes to mind.. Berkshire Hathaway too... Make a play to PULL INVESTMENTS .. No matter if Thailand.. Australia. USA. then the bubble bursts and wham! we go down

According to TVF the Thai economy is in dire straits, so i am not sure what this article is all about.

Well they say the finance system cant go like the Great Depression anymore. THEY SAY TOOthat tge USA will never allow nukes in Nth Korea. They also say those creams on ya face keep you young and beautiful. well they didnt work for me and THEY forgot about corrupt and greedy lending for self gain. THAT is where THEY are going wrong.

As for Thailand being SUSTAINABLE. hmmm... More condos in Bangkok alone than there are people to buy them... And there is the rest of the country too. so lets see how long the balloon can float up before the air gets too cold and it drops back to earth.

I'm sure you know more than I but when I have a question I ask Bloomberg. I like Bloomberg. When it comes to Thailand's boom.

Economic growth in Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand has stoked consumption in Southeast Asia, attracting investments from companies including phone maker Nokia Oyj (NOK1V) and carmaker Ford Motor Co. (F) Most of Southeast Asia’s 600 million people -- the combined population of the U.S., Germany and Brazil -- will be middle class by 2020, and that will boost demand for food, beverages and other goods, according to Bain & Co. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-27/dhl-to-boost-asean-investment-on-economic-growth-southeast-asia.html

Cadmium Scare Boosts Appeal of North China Rice, Thai Imports.

Thai stocks are still relatively quite attractive given the outlook for the economy and company earnings,” Adithep Vanabriksha, the head of equities for Thailand at Aberdeen, which oversees about $314 billion, said by phone from Bangkok.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-07/thai-bulls-beat-bears-selling-most-in-asia-as-set-hits-1994-high.html

According to TVF the Thai economy is in dire straits, so i am not sure what this article is all about.

I'm sure you know more than I but when I have a question I ask Bloomberg. I like Bloomberg. When it comes to Thailand's boom.

Economic growth in Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand has stoked consumption in Southeast Asia, attracting investments from companies including phone maker Nokia Oyj (NOK1V) and carmaker Ford Motor Co. (F) Most of Southeast Asia’s 600 million people -- the combined population of the U.S., Germany and Brazil -- will be middle class by 2020, and that will boost demand for food, beverages and other goods, according to Bain & Co. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-27/dhl-to-boost-asean-investment-on-economic-growth-southeast-asia.html

Cadmium Scare Boosts Appeal of North China Rice, Thai Imports.

Thai stocks are still relatively quite attractive given the outlook for the economy and company earnings,” Adithep Vanabriksha, the head of equities for Thailand at Aberdeen, which oversees about $314 billion, said by phone from Bangkok.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-07/thai-bulls-beat-bears-selling-most-in-asia-as-set-hits-1994-high.html

Wow your right! This is sarcasm

I cant believe you would use the first article as the only mention of Thailand was the quoted one. DHL to Boost Asean Investment as Growth Bolsters Shipping, the article was about Indonesia and Changi.

The second article is a fluff piece by "Petcharat Powattanasatien, who helps oversee about $30 billion as the head of equity investment at Bangkok-based Kasikorn Asset Management Co., said by phone on March 4." Its basically a spin on why the exodus of foreign investor from the SET is a good thing.

"Never before have Thai stocks rallied so much at a time when foreign investors were heading for the exit. The benchmark SET Index (SET) rose 4.6 percent last month even as international money managers sold a net $583 million of the nation’s shares, the biggest outflow among 10 Asian markets tracked by Bloomberg."

Some real good news there CMK

Edited by waza

Every stat I have seen in domestic and international figures I.e. world bank or economist puts it at 40 to 45%.

There has been no significant increase since the change of the government in ratio terms because growth has been OK.

GDP growth this year is likely to be 5% so that alone means they can borrow 5% more with zero ratio increase.

Google around. I am on my phone so can't copy and paste easily, but currently it is below 50%. If only the USA, EU, or Uk were in the same position.

Go look at the stats, Thailand is in an enviable position relative to many countries.

I have read a lot anecdotal evidence in this thread but very little in the way of facts suggesting the economy is going to have serious problems in the short to medium term.

While there are serious issues regarding the SET index, that could be said for practically every stock market in the developed world. From the FTSE (UK) to ASX (Australia) they are all over valued, there is a huge stock bubble created by successive QE by nearly every developed nation on earth. There is so much practically free money out there for traders they are all throwing it into the share market and getting better yields than they would out of banks or bonds.

That will sort itself out in time like every stock market bubble does, however that doesnt effect the day to day running of a nation if it comes down gradually.

I do however see Thailand getting itself into trouble in the medium to long term with high levels of debt. I don't think it will be government debt that gets Thailand into trouble though, it will be personal debt, which does continue to grow well above GDP growth rates and growth of government debt.

Thailand is going down the same road that the West went down, relying on debt to fuel economic growth, right now its okay because the level of debt is still relatively low at least compared with the West.

In 5-10 years when Thailand's personal debt levels reach roughly 100% of personal disposable income then we could potentially see a US style bust, maybe it will go all the way to 150% before it blows up (which is roughly where the US was when it fell apart) but it will happenj eventually.

TLDR: I am usually quite bearish about bubbles, but right now I just don't see it outside of the worldwide stock market bubble. Yes current personal debt growth rates are unsustainable in the long term, but we are a long way off that being an issue.

• Like 1

Every stat I have seen in domestic and international figures I.e. world bank or economist puts it at 40 to 45%.

There has been no significant increase since the change of the government in ratio terms because growth has been OK.

GDP growth this year is likely to be 5% so that alone means they can borrow 5% more with zero ratio increase.

Google around. I am on my phone so can't copy and paste easily, but currently it is below 50%. If only the USA, EU, or Uk were in the same position.

Go look at the stats, Thailand is in an enviable position relative to many countries.

I have read a lot anecdotal evidence in this thread but very little in the way of facts suggesting the economy is going to have serious problems in the short to medium term.

While there are serious issues regarding the SET index, that could be said for practically every stock market in the developed world. From the FTSE (UK) to ASX (Australia) they are all over valued, there is a huge stock bubble created by successive QE by nearly every developed nation on earth. There is so much practically free money out there for traders they are all throwing it into the share market and getting better yields than they would out of banks or bonds.

That will sort itself out in time like every stock market bubble does, however that doesnt effect the day to day running of a nation if it comes down gradually.

I do however see Thailand getting itself into trouble in the medium to long term with high levels of debt. I don't think it will be government debt that gets Thailand into trouble though, it will be personal debt, which does continue to grow well above GDP growth rates and growth of government debt.

Thailand is going down the same road that the West went down, relying on debt to fuel economic growth, right now its okay because the level of debt is still relatively low at least compared with the West.

In 5-10 years when Thailand's personal debt levels reach roughly 100% of personal disposable income then we could potentially see a US style bust, maybe it will go all the way to 150% before it blows up (which is roughly where the US was when it fell apart) but it will happenj eventually.

TLDR: I am usually quite bearish about bubbles, but right now I just don't see it outside of the worldwide stock market bubble. Yes current personal debt growth rates are unsustainable in the long term, but we are a long way off that being an issue.

Common sense, finally

Common sense, finally

It is common sense, except Thailand is already there, and household debt levels are rising quickly.Thailand is second only to China in corporate and household debt to GDP in developing countries. This is all based on formal lending. How many Thai's owe loan sharks at 3 to 10% a month(36 to 120% a year). So common sense would tell you, we are not far from blowing up.

“More significant than the growth of government debt has been the

expansion in corporate and household debt. The sum of general

government, non-financial corporate and household debt now exceeds 150%

of GDP in Malaysia, Thailand and China,” the World Bank said.

http://wbponline.com/Articles/View/14411/world-bank-cuts-china-indonesia-growth-f-cast

It is common sense, except Thailand is already there, and household debt levels are rising quickly.Thailand is second only to China in corporate and household debt to GDP in developing countries. This is all based on formal lending. How many Thai's owe loan sharks at 3 to 10% a month(36 to 120% a year). So common sense would tell you, we are not far from blowing up.

http://wbponline.com/Articles/View/14411/world-bank-cuts-china-indonesia-growth-f-cast

The village loan sharks have always thrived in Thailand hence the rates you quote are not abnormal for this business, that's the way it's been for years and years. Also, the banks NPL's do not refelct your opinion that household debt is out of control, the level of default is very very low.

Common sense, finally

I don't disagree that shadow banking exists especially in the developing world, however attempting to gauge exactly how much shadow banking is going on and with what level of finance is practically impossible. So gauging its effects on the Thai consumers ability to take on debt is difficult to ascertain.

7144856315_0164dbf58d_o.jpg

In 2009 Thai household debt was around 30% to GDP.

In the 3 years to mid 2012 it rose to 53% to GDP (nearly a third of Malaysia's at 140% of GDP)

Household debt will become a problem and with it growing at roughly 5-6% p.a above GDP (my own rough estimate based on the above numbers) it will reach 100% of GDP in around 10 years time depending on if household debt accelerates beyond current levels of growth.

Thailand is not in the danger zone yet, in time I have little doubt that like nearly every other government on earth they will drive the economy into the ground chasing more debt fuelled growth. However for the time being that is not yet a danger.

@ Terric Quotes got me

Every body has his/her own opinion.

Mine is based on on
reports from the World Bank, Bank of Thailand, IMF, S&P ect. I can
give 20 links that says Thailand and many/most countries in SE Asia are
in trouble with household debt, and a overheated housing/proprty sector.
How many links can you give that says otherwise.? Like I said many
times before on different threads, it does not necessarily have to start in Thailand, but
when the dominoes start falling, Thailand will be one of them.

You seemed to have missed the part of my post /link above that Thailand is at 150% household/corporate (formal) debt to GDP. Informal debt is most likely equal to that .How do you figure it will be 10 years before the shit start hitting the fan?

@ Terric Quotes got me

Every body has his/her own opinion. Mine is based on on reports from the World Bank, Bank of Thailand, IMF, S&P ect. I can

give 20 links that says Thailand ..... (is) in trouble with household debt,.

From an unbiased economic source? 20 links? I'll settle for one.

@ Terric Quotes got me

Every body has his/her own opinion. Mine is based on on reports from the World Bank, Bank of Thailand, IMF, S&P ect. I can

Well go look I have posted them 40 times.

@ Terric Quotes got me

I did. They are not there.

@ Terric Quotes got me

I'd settle for anything on the subject from the World Bank and the BOT, personally I've not seen such as you've mentioned.

• Like 1

To be honest I don't fully understand the statement you highlighted that talks about debt expansion, I've opened the link and it doesn't seem to clarify matters. The statement seems to group together corporate and consumer debt expansion which I find strange, in a bouyant and growing economy such as Thailand I would expect businesses to expand and in doing so, take on debt, the following extract adds context:

"In the meantime, the international lender raised its growth outlook for countries like Malaysia and Thailand for this year".

"The sum of general government, non-financial corporate and household debt now exceeds 150% of GDP in Malaysia, Thailand and China,"

I would like to see the breakdown of what % of debt is attributed to what catergory.

A comparison for example. Of general government, non-financial corporate and household debt.

Italy - 238% to GDP

South Korea - 221% to GDP

UK - 288% to GDP

Total debt to GDP chart of various nations.

Government debt and household debt can definetly be an issue but only when they reach suffecient levels on their own. As the chart shows you can go well over 200% and still have your economy continue to tick over.

"The sum of general government, non-financial corporate and household debt now exceeds 150% of GDP in Malaysia, Thailand and China,"

I would like to see the breakdown of what % of debt is attributed to what catergory.

A comparison for example. Of general government, non-financial corporate and household debt.

Italy - 238% to GDP

UK - 288% to GDP

Government debt and household debt can definetly be an issue but only when they reach suffecient levels on their own. As the chart shows you can go well over 200% and still have your economy continue to tick over.

Never mind about what I said before, or the previous post that counter your and others claims.

You are right, Thailand is "good" for decades to come. Will be forever the economic "Hub" of the world. Will never have a (economic) downturn.

Hope every body is happy now.

Italy - 238% to GDP

UK - 288% to GDP

Never mind about what I said before, or the previous post that counter your and others claims.

You are right, Thailand is "good" for decades to come. Will be forever the economic "Hub" of the world. Will never have a (economic) downturn.

I never made any such claim, I said that Thailand is good for roughly 10 years based on current rates of personal and government debt growth.

Economic downturns are a reality and Thailand is far from the economic hub of the world.

Italy - 238% to GDP

UK - 288% to GDP

I don't get your point. Not all debt is bad, and the way it is measured and calculated is very important. Understanding why the stats are the way they are is the issue.

Your post is nonsensical.

Italy - 238% to GDP

UK - 288% to GDP

I never made any such claim, I said that Thailand is good for roughly 10 years based on current rates of personal and government debt growth.

Economic downturns are a reality and Thailand is far from the economic hub of the world.

OK, Whatever you say. Actually Thailands economy is sustainable forever.

Italy - 238% to GDP

UK - 288% to GDP

OK, Whatever you say. Actually Thailands economy is sustainable forever.

Do you work for the finance Ministry, or do you want a discussion?

• 2 weeks later...

Thai Stocks Drop Most in 2 Years on Fund Outflows:

“Overseas investors want to take money out from Thailand’s stocks and other financial assets at any price,” said Kavee Chukitkasem, an investment strategist at Kasikorn Securities Co. in Bangkok. “The money flow has reversed to outbound from inbound earlier this year even as the country’s overall economic and earnings growth remain sound.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-11/thai-stocks-drop-as-much-as-5-3-on-fund-outflows-bangkok-mover.html

Edited by dcutman

“Overseas investors want to take money out from Thailand’s stocks and other financial assets at any price,” said Kavee Chukitkasem, an investment strategist at Kasikorn Securities Co. in Bangkok. “The money flow has reversed to outbound from inbound earlier this year even as the country’s overall economic and earnings growth remain sound.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-11/thai-stocks-drop-as-much-as-5-3-on-fund-outflows-bangkok-mover.html

I'm gobsmacked! Who would have thought this would happen?

What can they do to reverse this trend?

Are the chickens pecking on the hen house door?

What can they do to reverse this trend?

Are the chickens pecking on the hen house door?

Not with anybody of Chaing Mai in their screen name, thats for sure.