Any Statistics On Accidents Caused By Tinted Windscreens ?

DavoTheGun

I wonder if a Tinted Windscreen is legal in Thailand, it is NOT in most countries, how many times has the excuse been "I did not see the MotorCycle / Car without lights before I hit it! etc.

All windscreens have a mark at the top which is the level you can come down to with tint, this is an International Design Rule.

Have been driving around with GF for sometime now and at night it is really bad,at night, I took her for a drive in my friends car (Farang) who quite sensibly does not have his screen tinted, as do I, she was amazed! But, being Thai would not remove her tint, car get to hot, what about the possibility you hit somebody said I, no I drive carefully said she.

I pointed out the close calls we have had, only got the blank stare.

I have decided to only go out in my car at night in the future, not a good as the Fortuner, but want to live a little longer.

Her car only tinted 30%, I think, but some are up to 60% absolutely ridiculous!

Maybe not wearing eye glasses because it doesn't look 'suay' like head protection, is a bigger cause for concern. Nobody seems to wear glasses in Thailand. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Many years ago Thailand passed a law putting a limit on how much tint could be used. It was another one of the many laws that were never enforced. It was repealed a few years later.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I wonder if a Tinted Windscreen is legal in Thailand, it is NOT in most countries, how many times has the excuse been "I did not see the MotorCycle / Car without lights before I hit it! etc.

All windscreens have a mark at the top which is the level you can come down to with tint, this is an International Design Rule.

Have been driving around with GF for sometime now and at night it is really bad,at night, I took her for a drive in my friends car (Farang) who quite sensibly does not have his screen tinted, as do I, she was amazed! But, being Thai would not remove her tint, car get to hot, what about the possibility you hit somebody said I, no I drive carefully said she.

I have decided to only go out in my car at night in the future, not a good as the Fortuner, but want to live a little longer.

Maybe not wearing eye glasses because it doesn't look 'suay' like head protection, is a bigger cause for concern. Nobody seems to wear glasses in Thailand. Amazing.

You beat me with your post .Many Thais are driving with very poor eyesight and sun glasses on as well.

• Like 1

You beat me with your post .Many Thais are driving with very poor eyesight and sun glasses on as well.

You have totally missed the point, if you read what i said, NIGHTTIME who wears sunglasses at night? plus why is it illegal in western countries ? is impairs vision, that's why! .

In why do insurance companies accept it here and not elsewhere?

Many years ago Thailand passed a law putting a limit on how much tint could be used. It was another one of the many laws that were never enforced. It was repealed a few years later. Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would seem strange to repeal a law that was never enforced, and not the sort of thing that would happen in Thailand. Next, you'll be saying they're going to legalise prostitution....

SC

You can see the idiots with the too dark screens driving at night at about 20kph, compounded nicely by the motorcycles with no rear lights, still it weeds out the brainless.

The high number of motorcycle riders who curiously don't bother to change their broken rear light bulb combined with the ultra dark windows titing is a recipe for disaster. That should account for at least hundreds or possibly thousands of death per year...

• Like 1

In the UK, you're allowed tinted windows.

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows 70%.

There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.

Particularly in panel vans

The first car i bought in Thailand had a 60% tint on the front screen first trip out at night then next day to the shop to have it removed,

I did the same, almost. I was in the country, and noticed a small percentage of the motobikes and other vehicles had no headlights. It was time to remove the stuff. I was having to roll down the window every time to safely turn at night. This is just, another one of those things that will never be corrected, and nobody here will even know the difference. It is so odd.

I don't even need stats. I know pretty much for a fact it is orders of magnitude more dangerous. I'm just speaking from experience with my vehicle here in Thailand, and the before and after tint. My main problem with sight was with the side windows. The front was fine. I don't know the numbers on the tint.... not very savvy with that sort of thing. When I told the guy to take it off, he looked at me like I was crazy too, little did he know I thought he was (and they are) crazy for putting that dark stuff on.

I was agreeing with post 2 that a bigger problem than tinted windows is Thais with poor eyesight driving instead of sunglasses they should be wearing corrective specs.

I agree with your post as well i try and avoid driving at night because of the tint, my eyes are not as good as they used to be and the poor lighting and road marking and bad layout of roads here puts me off

It seems to me that most agree with my opening comment, but what i do not understand is why the insurance companies do not do something about it! It would save many lives I am sure, another thing they do, the Thais is do not service the car, generally, Only if they get around to it.

No service books are filled in, just a tag on the steering wheel. my GF's kids both have new Hondas, one has done 42000Km, never had an oil change, the other 32000Km same. The modern engines of today it is critical to change oil at least every 15000 with a good detergant oil, I told them this and got no comment. They think they know best, it is only a short time since they were driving Bullock Carts for transport.

^As mentioned, the reason the insurance companies don't put up a fuss about this, is there is no way to enforce it. I guess they could visually inspect each vehicle, but then they would lose customers. The way they do it in the US is the insurance would lobby for the law, and they would get it, which was done with seat-belts. There is just no way for them to effectively do any of that here though.

It seems to me that most agree with my opening comment, but what i do not understand is why the insurance companies do not do something about it! It would save many lives I am sure, another thing they do, the Thais is do not service the car, generally, Only if they get around to it.

No service books are filled in, just a tag on the steering wheel. my GF's kids both have new Hondas, one has done 42000Km, never had an oil change, the other 32000Km same. The modern engines of today it is critical to change oil at least every 15000 with a good detergant oil, I told them this and got no comment. They think they know best, it is only a short time since they were driving Bullock Carts for transport.

No, your premise is wrong: tinting is allowed in the West!!!

Only 75% in the UK, No in Australia, The US, New Zealand, All of Europe with the exception of Russia, Africa, but ignored by most, do your homework! I am talking about Laws not compliance of them.

Only 75% in the UK, No in Australia, The US, New Zealand, All of Europe with the exception of Russia, Africa, but ignored by most, do your homework! I am talking about Laws not compliance of them.

Do your research yourself. The US, NZ, Russia, Italy, Australia etc etc all have provisions for tinting.

Do your research yourself. The US, NZ, Russia, Italy, Australia etc etc all have provisions for tinting.

I am talking about the Windsreen! why do you think all manufacturers windscreens have a "Plimsoll" Line on them, this is Design Rules, this is a subject I do know something about! To know it all Pom, be told.

• Like 1

I was "volunteered" to drive a car down to Naratiwat for someone who had bought it up in Bangkok. When I drive south, I generally leave at around 3:00 AM so as to arrive in Naratiwat before dark.

I saw the car as it was bought, and it was OK. When the car was delivered to me, heavily tinted film had been put on because no one wants anyone down there to see who is driving.

It was so dark that I could barely see. I drove along Rama 2 out to the intersection where it turns south, and the street lights made it possible to drive. Once I left the lights, I had to stop and park alongside the edge of the road until daylight. Driving in the dark with those tinted windows would have been just too dangerous.

• Like 1

Had a too dark tint too.. went back one tint and it was good again even at night. I really hated it when it was too dark, I told the gf when we bought the car i prefer the tint we had in the other one. But no she wanted darker so I said ok but if its too dark you pay for removal. And she agreed it was too dark.. (that says something)

On our first car we had a 60% Lamina tint all around, and yes, at nighttime on dark roads it was too dark ( we didn't change it ). Now all our cars have 60%, except of the windscreens (40%).

A car dealer told me once more than 40% is illegal. I also know 2 Thais who were fined for their tint and asked to remove it. One had a nice green/metallic film the other had a film reflecting like a mirror; I once drove behind him in daytime - quite annoying.

My SUV is completely tinted, but when I purchased it the Isuzu sales lady asked me what level of tint would I prefer? I requested the minimum for glare reduction. No issues at night time with the low tint windscreen or windows. Tint has the manufacturers markings kept on them. I know some remove them, but I have no issues with the markings being there. :)

It's funny Thais equate dark glass to lessening heat in car. Many of my staff got to roll down their windows driving at night just to have a clearer view. Why suffer? Just get a higher quality but clearer heat shield will be safer, more light and less heat.

Ten or twelve years ago the was a move to ban very dark
tinted windows in Thailand until a prominent politician said “Why do we need such a law, Thai people aresensible enough to know when the tint is too dark”. The move soon lost momentum.

• Like 1