Klm Economy Plus

smokie36

Just wondered if anyone has flown with them in this class recently?

I paid a supplement for this as the airline had stuck me in the economy seat by the toilets....which I hate.

Wondering if I should upgrade to biz class in Schipol or just give this a try.

Also...on the website they offer a better choice of food for £12 or so.....is it worth buying?

Thanks for replies.

How much for the upgrade to economy plus, and how much for business

I would skip the food upgrade. Will they serve alcohol in economy plus? Cos if they do, you won't care too much about the food anyway

How much for the upgrade to economy plus, and how much for business I would skip the food upgrade. Will they serve alcohol in economy plus? Cos if they do, you won't care too much about the food anyway

Economy Comfort was £120 one way. Not sure how much the upgrade would be to biz class.....maybe someone on here can tell me.

As to the drinks....no migsy....I don't drink that much on the plane....prefer to wait till I get to the Crossbar. tongue.png

Edited by smokie36

Smokie all it really is, is extra leg room see: http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/your_seat_on_board/ici_seat_choice.htm. Not actually an economy plus product. If they have room in Business you may well get an "Offer" when you check-in online see: http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/your_seat_on_board/world_business_class.htm

Edited by RabC

Smokie all it really is, is extra leg room see: http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/your_seat_on_board/ici_seat_choice.htm. Not actually an economy plus product. If they have room in Business you may well get an "Offer" when you check-in online see: http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/your_seat_on_board/world_business_class.htm

I heard about the offer thing....yeah....I am praying they offer it to me! laugh.png

Otherwise I might have to switch airlines on the return trip if its as bad as I'm hearing.

Mind you I survived BA economy once....it can't be any worse. blink.png Can it?

I heard about the offer thing....yeah....I am praying they offer it to me! laugh.png

Otherwise I might have to switch airlines on the return trip if its as bad as I'm hearing.

Mind you I survived BA economy once....it can't be any worse. blink.png Can it?

Smokie

I cant comment on their economy or economy extra but their Business product has got better IF you get the right aircraft.

• Like 1

We flew KLM to/from BKK last month. It is a B777-300 or 200. The 300 is slightly better and had a better vdo system. As RabC said, Economy plus is just more leg space, no more, no less.

The food upgrade isn't bad, it used to be standard Indonesian food on all flights to SE Asia. If i remember right, the food from AMS-BKK was ok, the food from BKK-AMS was pretty bad.

• Like 1

We flew KLM to/from BKK last month. It is a B777-300 or 200. The 300 is slightly better and had a better vdo system. As RabC said, Economy plus is just more leg space, no more, no less.

The food upgrade isn't bad, it used to be standard Indonesian food on all flights to SE Asia. If i remember right, the food from AMS-BKK was ok, the food from BKK-AMS was pretty bad.

I expect that re the food. I've yet to have a decent meal in any class ex BKK.

Might just upgrade the food on the way out and do biz class on the way back if available.

Thanks. smile.png

How much for the upgrade to economy plus, and how much for business I would skip the food upgrade. Will they serve alcohol in economy plus? Cos if they do, you won't care too much about the food anyway

Economy Comfort was £120 one way. Not sure how much the upgrade would be to biz class.....maybe someone on here can tell me.

As to the drinks....no migsy....I don't drink that much on the plane....prefer to wait till I get to the Crossbar. tongue.png

Last year they wanted 1200 euros to upgrade to bus. class (Ams-Bkk) did not take it and when I saw the bus.class section was glad I did not (paid £435 for original ticket BHX-BKK return)

Last year they wanted 1200 euros to upgrade to bus. class (Ams-Bkk) did not take it and when I saw the bus.class section was glad I did not (paid £435 for original ticket BHX-BKK return)

One way or both?

I flew KLM economy BKK AMS BKK last month, I liked the food, good choice of movies.. really nothing to complain about, I guess economy plus is ok if you need the extra leg space

• Like 1

I have about ten hours to wait at Schipol......anyone know if I can buy access into any of the lounges there?

Please don't suggest a trip into Amsterdam.....I will never get on the flight if I do that. tongue.png

I have about ten hours to wait at Schipol......anyone know if I can buy access into any of the lounges there?

Please don't suggest a trip into Amsterdam.....I will never get on the flight if I do that. tongue.png

That's why I don't go via AMS. There's no way I can stop there without heading into town for a wander.. Though I do know a friendly Thai there I can practice my pronunciation on.

On the other hand, it would mean I could fly from London City which is a world away from LHR.

One way or both?

one way!!, AMS-BKK

Please don't suggest a trip into Amsterdam.....I will never get on the flight if I do that.

I recently had a long wait in schipol, I booked a cabin in the yotel, its in the departure lounge and was great, got a few hours sleep and a shower, and the food court is right outside.
  • Like 1

KLM economy plus is not worth the extra £120 in my opinion. You can pay half that for a seat on an exit row and have far more than what is it, four inches extra legroom?

KLM economy plus is not worth the extra £120 in my opinion. You can pay half that for a seat on an exit row and have far more than what is it, four inches extra legroom?

It does state better recline as well.

Please don't suggest a trip into Amsterdam.....I will never get on the flight if I do that.

I recently had a long wait in schipol, I booked a cabin in the yotel, its in the departure lounge and was great, got a few hours sleep and a shower, and the food court is right outside.

I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I smuggled myself into the Crown Lounge. :D

Now I've been told Biz Class is full so no chance of an upgrade unless a no show. :(

To tip it all there appear to be none of those tasty cheese savoury batons today.

I'm off for some champers.....!

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/KLM/fleetinfo.php should answer questions on seats. Their seat pitches are a bit tight for long haul and looks like their premium plus seats are not much more leg room than some economy seats on other airlines. Seem cheap though, friend just came out £450 Birmingham BKK return. As usual BKK- BXH right now way more expensive.

Edited by marstons

Main reason for using AMS is to avoid UK tax on the long haul.

Does that work ?

I'd heard that, unless your stop-over en-route was more than 24 hours, you still got charged the departure-tax to your eventual destination anyway ?sad.png

Flight from Edinburgh was £460 return.

I paid £120 for economy plus....in row 9 with wxception of the middle row have excellent leg room.

The others wouldn't be worth it.

I'll ne ipgrafing to biz on the return.

More comprehensive trip report up soon.

I always considered that KLM's Economy Plus was 'roomier' when they serviced Bangkok with 747's. They do indeed have better seat recline as well. Having tried both flavours of 777 on the new schedule, I reckon there's just a tad more legroom on the starboard side than the port side which I didn't notice until the last flight. Looking across from my window seat on 12K, I could see that the port side seats were skewed with a narrower seat pitch. I am 6'4" so Economy Plus is always my choice if not at the front of the boat. There's a world of difference between 31" and 34" seat pitch when you are tall. I usually tack on the extra when doing the online check-in and was pissed off when their system unusually denied me any seat changes online. However, on arrival in Amsterdam, I went to a self-service kiosk and managed to get a seat change, pay for it and get a new boarding pass. Very efficient!

FYI, the flight to Amsterdam on 9th May was chockers with family groups (last week of Easter holidays?) but the return a week later was deserted and had all 3 seats to myself.... plus the extra legroom. Nice!

Regarding lengthy stopovers, despite the upstairs at Schiphol being nice and quiet, you really can't beat the option to leave your bags (if any) in the secure D-I-Y left luggage bins, pop downstairs and take the train into town. One of the few airports where silly security and traffic does not prevent popping into town for some nice coffee, some body shots at 'Teazers', reaming swats of draft ale with some genever chasers, strangely aromatic ciggies and a bit of window shopping.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1