Beyond The Limits Of Decency Or Just Bad Taste?: Thai Editorial

webfact

Free speech trumps hurt feelings.

Big mistake taking the cartoonist to court. This creates far more notoriety, and is a bad example. Criticise his comments by criticism, not by legal attacks.

Her brother probably told her to sue. He's the poster boy boy of slapping defamation lawsuits. Oak (Thaksin's son) just came out to publicly say something uninspired about it. It's become a family thing.

Edited by maidu

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought immeadiately of PJ O'Rourke's very funny and scathing book about the Congress of US of A. Name of the book is "Parliament of Whores". Are whores above, below or equal to prostitutes? Or are they entepreneurs just maximizing the use of their assets in a free market enviornment? No government ever jailed a member of the press that agreed with said governments policies.

The word 'whore' seems to have first appeared about 400 years ago. German (Prussians, Hessians, etc.) soldiers would march around Europe a lot, and there were women who accompanied them, carrying things, preparing food, laundry, sex and whatever. They were referred to as whores.

Edited by maidu

NO MATTER who you are and what job you do, NO woman is going to happy as to be compared as more bad than a prostitute, and I challenge any husband, son, daughter who is ok with this being said (PUBLICLY) about your wife, mother

there is a line of DECENCY and this FOOLISH man crossed it... I support freedom of speech but this just insulting for his own 15 mins of fame

If the shoe fits...

The apparent rising tide of dissatisfaction in the country, coupled with the ever increasing reports of what appears to be cronyism and dodgy deals or perhaps blatant corruption reminds me of the atmosphere in 2006. Worrying!

Reminds me of the time when no newspaper in Thailand could print anything bad about Taksin Shinawatra. Are we returning to those dark days?

Probably,and it will be a law brought in on something deemed non political,like the Yingluck Cartoon. which will be the necessary disguise.

Edited by MAJIC

Correct me if i am wrong but didnt the cartoonist say "prostitutes are not bad women". Then goes on to say "this bad women". So basically in those words he is saying she is not a prostitute. Thats how i read it. Anyone else see this?

This is what he wrote on facebook.

"Please understand that prostitutes are not bad women. Prostitutes only sell their bodies, but a bad woman has been wandering around trying to sell the country."

I thought immeadiately of PJ O'Rourke's very funny and scathing book about the Congress of US of A. Name of the book is "Parliament of Whores". Are whores above, below or equal to prostitutes? Or are they entepreneurs just maximizing the use of their assets in a free market enviornment? No government ever jailed a member of the press that agreed with said governments policies.

Technically it's not a free market in Thailand. Foreign participation (other than as buyers is illegal).