Getting To And From Viet Nam From Chiang Mai With Family

jaideeguy

Seems there are no direct flights from CM to Viet Nam and either we go thru BKK or are there any other overland possibilities that are a bit more comfortable than backpacker quality?? I've heard that a comfortable bus goes between Phnom Phen and HCM city. Can anyone confirm or make other suggestions for travel for a family of 4.

I used to travel very regularly between CM and HCMC and taking into account that I'm not a big fan of long bus trips the most comfortable way for me was to fly from CM to BKK in the morning then a flight to HCMC from BKK in the afternoon. If you want minimum hassles (but pay a little more) get your Vietnam visas before getting to Vietnam (so not the Visa on arrival) so that you and your family don't need to wait in the big mess of people waiting for theirs at HCMC airport.

• 2 weeks later...

There are flights from CM to both Luang Prabang and Vientiane.

From Luang Prabang you can get a flight to Hanoi ... or a tourist minibus to Vientiane.

From Vientiane you can get a flight to HCMC or Hanoi.

Also mini buses for tourists or the big cheaper buses depart Vientiane for both Hanoi and HCMC daily.

Since there are thousands of Vietnamese in Cambodia, you can imagine there will be a good bus service from PP to HCMC. Cost, if I remember correctly, is $12 in early 2012. Any travel shop in Phnom Penh will be able to advise you of the various bus services. I've taken every mode of travel between KH and VN, well, except truck.

If you want a little adventure, take the high-speed boat from PP to Chau Doc VN ($25 on Hang Chau or $35 on Blue Cruiser). 5 hours down the Mekong. From Chau Doc, you can take the red Trung Phuong Co. bus to Saigon from the station at the opposite end of town from the boat landings. Blue Cruiser lands at lovely Victoria Hotel. But you will hvae to overnight in Chau Doc. But I guess that sounds like a bit of hassle.

• 1 month later...

I have seen flights from HCMC to Vientiane on Vietnam Airlines, and have flown Vientiane to Chiang Mai so shouldn't be hard to book CM-Vientiane-HCMC or Hanoi. Very nice busses from PPenh to HCMC - we got hassled for 3 hours at the border by the Khmer side, all wanting cigarettes or money - the Vietnamese side was smooth sailing, Customs had an interest in my Bicycle but when I pointed out the scratches and dents they laughed and let it go thru. If you are going to PPenh anyway - take the fast Boat to Chau Doc, Viet immigrations will stamp you ion then take a airconditioned tourist bus to HCMC - or anyther Water Taxi - Google TM Brothers, or Sinh Cafe (Don't believe the first post you see on TM Brothers - I've been using them since 2002, they were the first reputable agency in Vietnam.