Corrupt Police - Advice Sought

Nikkijah

I am moving home tomorrow and wish to get started early but our 6-wheel driver has told us we need to travel in the evening to avoid the police stopping us and pulling the old trick of 'on the spot fine or the station jobbie'

I can't believe this is happening! I know some of you may say the truck must be un-roadworthy but that is not the answer I need now, can anybody recommend anything to me??

I thought about riding in the cab with the driver to put off the police - this has worked in the past for other situations - but I would like to know if anybody has any other 'bright' ideas??

Thanks in advance

Assuming you are in Bangkok, then 6 wheel trucks are not allowed on the roads in the daytime - I think its from 6 am to either 9 or 10 pm. Any truck caught travelling during this period will indeed have to pay a backhander to any policeman if he wants to continue his journey.

In my opinion and from personal experience, having a farang in the cab will only make matters worse - ie a higher bribe - the cops couldn't give a sh..t about farangs, except as a source for more money.

Why don't you leave around 4.am? The cops are all asleep, no traffic jams and it should be legal. :o

If you're not in Bangkok I still suggest you leave at 4 a.m. You will never stop traffic cops from having a go at truck drivers - its their bread and buutter.