Thai Police Hard At Work.....

EyesWideOpen

Corruption, is cancer on the society.

Unfortunately, when a population more or less don't give a shit about the law, and choose to pay off Officials and law enforcement personnel whenever they break the law, then the population is part of the problem, and not only the ones taking the bribes.

what a crock of sh1t , corruption is a way of life , get used to it cos it will never go away ..........

I see where you come from.

Yes unfortunately cancer is in our life, but it destroy us slowly.

If you cant see the similarity, well, I believe where the crock really is.

Keep paying your way through your crooked life.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, when a population more or less don't give a shit about the law, and choose to pay off Officials and law enforcement personnel whenever they break the law, then the population is part of the problem, and not only the ones taking the bribes.

Some do give a shit but are too afraid to do anything about it, lets face it thailand needs a revolution!

Problem with a revolution is all the innocent who will suffer.

If chaos starts, all it takes is a strong-man directing the anger towards one particular group, and blame them.

Let's see, what about foreigners? Always a popular target during chaos.

Corruption, is cancer on the society.----Travel2003

Poor old 6636--the only one to be caught on Camera--Well his gone but I do hope they don't ever think of stopping this Cancer---wai2.gif -----I mean the Tea money is usually at the most about 50% of the fine,

Yes I can live with corruption, get pulled over for doing 120Klm, just pay the 200 baht --no points, no loss of License, no hassles, its what I like about Asia, but I suppose we will get numerous correspondence from the Political correct brigade.

It's just a different form of tax. In western countries we pay the police a good wage and expect them to do a good job. But, it all comes out of our tax budget. In Thailand the police are paid a pittance of a wage and are expected to make up the difference in bribery. How many westerners enjoy paying $300 fines for driving 15 km over the speed limit on a wide open highway with little or no traffic? It happens all the time in the west. How many people like paying a $100 fine for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign... even if there is no traffic? It happens all the time in the west. If I come to a traffic line-up in Canada I have to wait in line if I'm on a motorbike. In Thailand I can go between the traffic to the head of the line. There is something to be said for both systems... both good and bad. In many ways I prefer the Thai way to the over regulated methods in the west. In North America we keep trying to make laws to prevent stupidity but it doesn't work.

The difference is that the people who can least afford paying those bribes suffer. Often people are not guilty of a traffic violation, but are extorted. Do you really think that's fair? I could see your point if the police only targeted violators, but they are indiscriminate in who they target.

Do you honestly think, that the collection of the money Thai style benefits anyone in the long run?

It is also counter productive for the control of dangerous drivers. Where you come from, drivers that get fined usually get demerit points too and there is a cost associated with those demerit points when it comes time to renew insurance. Get enough demerit points and a driver loses his/her license. Those demerit points and those fines encourage good driver conduct. When one can bribe his/her way out of an infraction, there is no incentive to behave. So again, I ask you, do you think this behaviour serves Thailand's best interests?

You say often they are not guilty of anything, but I am unsure of that... people break traffic regulations all the time.

All a policeman needs to do is stop some-place, around a corner, where there is a no left turn on red, and pick them off.

So in a way, they do only target violators, and as such, all should be liable to a fine. Then true selection kicks in, the poor pay less, Tourists and foreigners should be levied more as they should have more respect of the rules as guests.

It serves some purpose in that law breakers get punished. I agree there are no penalty points, but if the money only went into the government coffers, where is the incentive for the police to work? biggrin.png

Edited by jacko45k

I believe he is no longer a member of the Thai Police Force

His helmet says that he is attached to Bangna Police Station. They have a monthly target of "spot fines" which comes from his boss I doubt whether he would be fired, Everyone knows what goes on and nothing will be done about it. If you are in the right then refuse to pay and ask to go to the police station. A German friend of mine never pays any on spot fines. They usually give up and let him go because they can't waste valuable time dealing with paperwork when they could be catching a 100 more motorists. In one case he illegally took a right turn on a dual carriageway where there was no right turn allowed. A policeman was waiting and tried to get a fine from him but he refused and was taken to the Police Station. The Chief Inspector at the Station also gave up after half an hour arguing with him, and he was allowed to go, because this is a business to them and time wasted on paperwork is better spent on catching motorists that cough up in the blink of an eye.

It's just a different form of tax. In western countries we pay the police a good wage and expect them to do a good job. But, it all comes out of our tax budget. In Thailand the police are paid a pittance of a wage and are expected to make up the difference in bribery. How many westerners enjoy paying $300 fines for driving 15 km over the speed limit on a wide open highway with little or no traffic? It happens all the time in the west. How many people like paying a $100 fine for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign... even if there is no traffic? It happens all the time in the west. If I come to a traffic line-up in Canada I have to wait in line if I'm on a motorbike. In Thailand I can go between the traffic to the head of the line. There is something to be said for both systems... both good and bad. In many ways I prefer the Thai way to the over regulated methods in the west. In North America we keep trying to make laws to prevent stupidity but it doesn't work.

Neither systems are perfect however, rule of law is an essential part of society. I agree that the poice are paid a pittance and one could argue that this low salary is why they do it but the truth is they do it because they can. For any legal sytem to be effective it requires the enforcement of the law within the judicial system. In Thailand there is zero enforcement and maximum corruption.Being able to Buy your way out of an violation is no way to expect any form of real justice and this country is rife with corruption on all levels. Been stopped many time on both car and bike with the majority of occasions being simple scams to try and extort tea money. I for one will not give a penny to these crooks and if more people followed suit it may force the government to review the whole system of bandits in brown. They are a total disgrace as are those in authority who let this happen. Royal Thai Police Force indeed, more like a cancer.

• Like 1

i for one wouldnt put up with that,luckily i havnt had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting said filth,my wife always asks them for their id ? and films them,dangerous i know,but maybe there simple ,because they havnt had a penny from her yet,i would love to be there when shes stopped,one day maybe one day,,,i love you thailand,,,you gotta admit the entertainment value is priceless,,,or am i a bit dolly

what a crock of sh1t , corruption is a way of life , get used to it cos it will never go away ..........

I can only say... santika, hanging bridge in Ayuttaya and others.. corruption is a cancer as long as its so bad it costs lives because you can make all the safety and traffic laws you want.. as long as there is corruption they won't be enforced.

Only people liking it are people who don't see the big picture.

And then what would that big picture be????

A majority of Thais like a level of corruption.

My friends wish home was a bit more like here (perhaps not as much)

I am here, and I am not complaining.

We prefer it here also.

So...because people die is it?

18,000 people die of hunger everyday in this world...

And just about nobody cares

Taking bribes for minor traffic infringements doesn't seem so bad compared to the other things. I guess it maybe a "gateway" form of corruption after a few of these bribes they will move to heavier, more insidious forms of corruption.

Poor old 6636--the only one to be caught on Camera--Well his gone but I do hope they don't ever think of stopping this Cancer---wai2.gif -----I mean the Tea money is usually at the most about 50% of the fine,

Yes I can live with corruption, get pulled over for doing 120Klm, just pay the 200 baht --no points, no loss of License, no hassles, its what I like about Asia, but I suppose we will get numerous correspondence from the Political correct brigade.

Of course you can live with the corruption when you are corrupt yourself.

You pay your way out of the trouble you got yourself into.

problem is, not all can do that can they?

Incorrect.

The majority of thais who is ok with corruption is not because they claim to be corrupt also.

They think it is ok if they can BENEFIT also from this corruption.

And most people are able to pay their way out.

300 bahts,...but I only have 100.... Ok then.. Drive carefully

Fired? If everyone gets these guys on video doing their normal daily duty, there will be no more cops

You better have a will if they catch you taping them.

Nonsense. I've openly video'd them before

I can only say... santika, hanging bridge in Ayuttaya and others.. corruption is a cancer as long as its so bad it costs lives because you can make all the safety and traffic laws you want.. as long as there is corruption they won't be enforced.

Only people liking it are people who don't see the big picture.

And then what would that big picture be????

A majority of Thais like a level of corruption.

My friends wish home was a bit more like here (perhaps not as much)

I am here, and I am not complaining.

We prefer it here also.

So...because people die is it?

18,000 people die of hunger everyday in this world...

And just about nobody cares

You obviously don't see it but that is quite normal for people who are just here loving the freedom loving that they can break the law and get away cheap.

Usually those guys who like it are not what you call rocket scientists that is why they don't see the big picture.

Its quite simple:

- Traffic is a hell of a lot more dangerous because everyone does what he wants as they can bribe themselves free

- Bridges buildings ect can be stamped safe but collapse because the safety inspector was bribed.

- Just look at the Koreans and the Pattaya boat accident.. nothing will change safetywise because corruption

- You cant trust anything you buy because whatever it says on the label can be fake and wont be enforced

- With too much corruption there is total chaos

It takes a bit to sink in for the .. but i can drive 120 and kill someone and get free.. or i can get stone drunk and buy my way out brigade because they are a selfish lot not really thinking their actions over.

Just wait till someone you know gets killed by lack of safety that is not enforced or an idiot driving through red or doing 120 or stone drunk.

Illegal driving by breaking a posted law and paying a fine is one thing regardless of how you feel about the law, making a payoff for legal driving in Thailand by innocent drivers is another. Many US States allow motorcycles passage between rows of cars, moving or not moving, especially California.

I know the RTP are not well respected by TV members in general and this video gives good reason, but I wanted to say something positive about my recent experience with the RTP. On 26th April I was robbed, the thief getting away with my passport, company and personal bank books, laptop computer, watch, two android mobile phones, company back up drives, 7,000 Baht and a few other items such as MP3 recorder, AIS aircards, office security pass and keys and pens etc. With the help of some Thai friends I was able to file a report with my local police station (Yannawa), the police were very helpful and explained that without knowing identity of the thief or having some way to find out who it was it was very unlikely I would get anything back. The officer made some suggestions to my Thai friends on how we might find out more information. We followed this and within hours we had a call giving us a clue as to who we were looking for. Within 24 hours my passport, bank books, office security pass and keys were all recovered.

This particular officer has worked with me since the 26th of April and with the information he has uncovered we have recovered nearly all of my items stolen. He has taken me around to every shop the thief has off loaded my possessions and asked me to identify them and he has recovered them from the shopkeeper. This was not an easy task and at every shop he faced long discussions with the shopkeeper's and their local police (who were very quickly on the scene with a quick phone call from the shopkeeper). I could see the frustration on his face when his fellow police backed the shopkeeper in keeping my stolen items and argued that if I wanted my items back I would need to pay the value. He never gave up and eventually we left with my belongings. He has worked tirelessly to recover my possessions and I have nothing but gratitude for his efforts. Particularly as the hard drives and the laptop contained all the information for my company which if not recovered I would have been in a very difficult situation. He took the time to pick me up at my apartment in his own car and drop me off after each trip to recover stolen items; on three occasions we went to recover items during his time off.

I also want to say that I spoke with my Thai friends last night (after we recovered my watch and Samsung Tab, last of the major items stolen) and asked if I should give the police officer a tip or gesture of gratitude for all his hard work. They were adamant that I most certainly should give him something; they suggested that 5,000 Baht or more would be a good amount and that it should be a Thai that gave it to him. I decided on the amount and a Thai friend discreetly passed him the money. A short time later he approached me and shook my hand and thanked me very much and returned the money. He has only asked one thing of me and that is when the thief is presented to the judge that I will make sure I am available to be in attendance to give evidence.

He spoke no English and I have virtually no Thai, despite the fact that he had to go through a second person to get my story and details he was always polite, helpful and professional. I have a renewed respect for the RTP. There are definitely some very good police in the RTP.

I find it hard to believe he got fired, they normally transfer them if they been a bad boy.

Only thing he did wrong was getting caught on video, everybody know a police man can't live well on his salary and has to make extra money to support his family.

It's a general believe Thai policeman are underpaid; yet I never see any evidence of this anywhere to substantiate this. Asked my Thai GF and(for what it's worth; just an individual opinion and not able to verify)she told me once a policeman graduates from "police-academy"; he starts with around Baht 10.000 . Granted not a royal salary but then again many common company/office-workers get less. Others?

The difference is that the people who can least afford paying those bribes suffer. Often people are not guilty of a traffic violation, but are extorted. Do you really think that's fair? I could see your point if the police only targeted violators, but they are indiscriminate in who they target.

Do you honestly think, that the collection of the money Thai style benefits anyone in the long run?

It is also counter productive for the control of dangerous drivers. Where you come from, drivers that get fined usually get demerit points too and there is a cost associated with those demerit points when it comes time to renew insurance. Get enough demerit points and a driver loses his/her license. Those demerit points and those fines encourage good driver conduct. When one can bribe his/her way out of an infraction, there is no incentive to behave. So again, I ask you, do you think this behaviour serves Thailand's best interests?

I guess everyone has different experiences here in Thailand. Been living here for quite a few years and have never been pulled over. I have also never witnessed the police pulling over anyone not violating the traffic regulations. I am sure it has happened, but what I witness is usually the police set up with the lanes blocked and pulling over those without proper registration, not wearing helmets or a sobriety check. None of my expat friends who have lived here countless years have ever had a problem either, but again, maybe you just had a run of bad luck. Additionally, when you say, "the people who can least afford paying those bribes suffer", I would then ask you how much they would suffer if they had to pay the actual fine? This is assuming that they did commit a crime. If you think the police are targeting people, then I would venture that they would target those with expensive cars to exact a larger bribe and those who cannot afford to be set up thus do not really suffer; unless of course they actually commited a traffic violation and then it would just be justified.

As to the larger question as to whether this adds to the overall bribery in the country, I would have to agree that this is just part of a much larger endemic problem. My preference would be to keep the traffic payoffs and stop the other bribery, but that would just be wishful thinking and probably impossilbe.

On another note though, there is a form of traffic cop injustice in the US. It occurs when two people get pulled over for the same infraction and only one is ticketed while the other is given a warning. That is not illegal as far as I know, but it certainly is not just.

Post to youtube please, some of us have not given up our rights to privacy by signing up for facebook.

The NSA knows who you are - bank on it :0

HA! You give FAAAAR too much credit on the level of intelligence the average government worker has. ;)

That video is epic, I've never actually seen how police take money like that before. I've been driving in Thailand for six years and never once been stopped so it's fascinating to watch how the police take money without writing anything. I like the way all the drivers know the drill too about how to conceal the money in their hands inside the car. Sneaky stuff!

Edited by aussiebebe

I guess everyone has different experiences here in Thailand. Been living here for quite a few years and have never been pulled over. I have also never witnessed the police pulling over anyone not violating the traffic regulations. I am sure it has happened, but what I witness is usually the police set up with the lanes blocked and pulling over those without proper registration, not wearing helmets or a sobriety check. None of my expat friends who have lived here countless years have ever had a problem either, but again, maybe you just had a run of bad luck. Additionally, when you say, "the people who can least afford paying those bribes suffer", I would then ask you how much they would suffer if they had to pay the actual fine? This is assuming that they did commit a crime. If you think the police are targeting people, then I would venture that they would target those with expensive cars to exact a larger bribe and those who cannot afford to be set up thus do not really suffer; unless of course they actually commited a traffic violation and then it would just be justified.

As to the larger question as to whether this adds to the overall bribery in the country, I would have to agree that this is just part of a much larger endemic problem. My preference would be to keep the traffic payoffs and stop the other bribery, but that would just be wishful thinking and probably impossilbe.

On another note though, there is a form of traffic cop injustice in the US. It occurs when two people get pulled over for the same infraction and only one is ticketed while the other is given a warning. That is not illegal as far as I know, but it certainly is not just.

No they target motorcycles and those with older cars, those with new cars and expensive ones might be connected. If you don't know that I really wonder how long you have lived here.

Incorrect.

The majority of thais who is ok with corruption is not because they claim to be corrupt also.

They think it is ok if they can BENEFIT also from this corruption.

And most people are able to pay their way out.

300 bahts,...but I only have 100.... Ok then.. Drive carefully

In that case you do not see the big picture.

In your book it is probably also correct to shoplift.

Correct?

After all, it is such small petty things we talk about.

When people in the society think they can pay to avoid the law, then they give green lights to richer people to do it as well.

Pay bribes to buy up land (real estate) and remove the poorer people.

Pay bribes to establish particular businesses which will affect the poor.

Pay for votes, then forget about the voters again.

Pay for (put in whatever you like)........................

Same same, but just the bigger picture.