Wine Buffet At River Market

ChiangMai2012

Bashed the restaurant because the food was the major problem, not the wine. Appetizer buffet, buffet, whatever it was advertised as one still expects to eat more than 2 chicken wings.

Maybe that was all the sponsor paid for the rest was Dave's charity.

Like It has been said before it was a wine company putting the affair on maybe they were expecting some connoisseurs of fine wine rather than people looking for a meal with wine,

They might possibly be in the wrong city for an affair like they put on. In all the posts I have read haveI yet to read one about fine wines here in Chiang Mai. I am sure there are many but there is not a lot of people interested in them enough to put on an affair where they are the main attraction.

Hey Dolly,

I think you got it. The sponsors were expecting wine connoisseurs who would not even consider eating a chicken wing but .......

• Like 1

Bashed the restaurant because the food was the major problem, not the wine. Appetizer buffet, buffet, whatever it was advertised as one still expects to eat more than 2 chicken wings.

Like It has been said before it was a wine company putting the affair on maybe they were expecting some connoisseurs of fine wine rather than people looking for a meal with wine,

They might possibly be in the wrong city for an affair like they put on. In all the posts I have read haveI yet to read one about fine wines here in Chiang Mai. I am sure there are many but there is not a lot of people interested in them enough to put on an affair where they are the main attraction.

There have been quite a few wine tastings around Chiang Mai. The ones I have been to have had lots of people. I don't drink alcohol at all so I have water and whatever food is on offer. My wife does like wine and she has wine and food at these "affairs". They also seem to sell a lot of wine at these things.

What makes you think there is not a lot of people interested in them? What do you consider a fine wine?

I would think you are quite right in your assessment that the sponsor only paid for a certain amount of food.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Sorry I have been out of town. I have not read this thread yet but just to clear things up a bit, this was not a River Market event. The River Market was contracted by Wine CNX to do a wine tasting at our venue. They had a small budget for appetizers. We did not charge them for holding the event at The River Market. They enlisted my staff to promote the event and asked my staff to sell tickets. I noticed the buffet wording and called the promoters and said that they should change the advertising. As the event neared and people were asking about the buffet I voiced my concerns again. I thought about canceling the event from our end but decided not to do so because much planning had been done.

Because I was concerned and because our name was attached to the event at The River Market expense I added an additional 2 appetizers. On the night of the event many people arrived expecting a buffet. One of the reasons that I was concerned was that I know what a buffet is and I know how the Chiang Mai folk can greatly appreciate food and buffets. We were asked to prepare some more food on the nite of the event after the appetizers ran out. The additional appetizers also went quickly.

I am not affiliated with Wines CNX and so can not speak for them. After the good turn out I would say that I would like to have some more of these events in the future and I will guarantee that I will personally make sure that there is enough food and beverage. While I will take the time to read the thread anyone with concerns about refunds or what they thought they should have gotten for their money should take it up with Wines CNX. A simple search will suffice. If in passing you would like to voice your concerns to me I would love to hear them.

Q.E.D.

Firstly, sadly there are several major inaccuracies to the original
post which If I may (As I was there from before the start to well after 95% of
attendees had left.

Your very first line for a start, it was a Wine tasting with
Buffet (The official CeC Mailings stated Finger Buffet in the message header)
and further invites where changed again, therefore under standard English grammar
the emphasis was on the Wine and not the food.

Yes with hind sight “Buffet” perhaps should not have been mentioned. But even so, it did not say anywhere “eat all
you can eat” Dave provided 1200 items for 100 people.

The invites clearly said places where limited and the limit
was 100, in the end 111 arrived, but even so that is still 10.8 items from the
excellent range of appetizers that Dave and his staff provided for each person.

Add to that 5 glasses of wine (I note you say you only had
three, there was plenty for all and only one wine ran out and even that was
after the allotted closing time of 9pm, if you had a ticket, you had a glass of
wine simple as that, if choice one was not available then then one of the other
three where substituted.

Given the quality of the wine and the food provided I feel
the price of 450/500 was exceptional value.

And as for speaking to “few different workers” the event was
not organized by the Rivermarket and perhaps you should have spoken to one of
the organizers at 7:30 instead of writing about it at 11:30 when no one can do
anything about it.

I have personally organized and been to many events at the
Rivermarket and have to say the service was excellent as always.

Overall it was a superb evening at a great location and
enjoyed by nearly everyone that went.

A Happy Taster.

There have been quite a few wine tastings around Chiang Mai. The ones I have been to have had lots of people. I don't drink alcohol at all so I have water and whatever food is on offer. My wife does like wine and she has wine and food at these "affairs". They also seem to sell a lot of wine at these things.

What makes you think there is not a lot of people interested in them? What do you consider a fine wine?

I would think you are quite right in your assessment that the sponsor only paid for a certain amount of food.

MSPain

Well to be honest with you I don't hear a lot about them. Being the curious type that I am how many is a lot and how often do they have them and how many attendees are the same people at each one.

Where are they advertized in city life?

Actually I just signed up for a blog that comes out once a month listing events.I guess I could look there. Just got my first copy scanned through it and saw nothing of interest to me.

As for what is a fine wine how would I know I don't drink it or care about it. But I would imagine that 2,000 baht a bottle would be a fine wine. Maybe not. Ask Uptheos he seemed to have some ideas on the subject,

I do know enough to know that just because some thing is cheap and very tasty for some people that does not make it a fine wine. I also know that after the second bottle I would break out in big round red spots like I did with penicillin. So I decided to give it up.

I thought wine tasting was sniffing it, swishing it around your mouth and spitting it out.

Didn't realise guzzling down 4 or 5 glasses constituted wine tasting. biggrin.png

I only spit it out if I don't like the wine and that has never happened.

Five glasses of wine and with Dave personally supervising the food - I'll be there next time, if there is a next time.

MSPain

Well to be honest with you I don't hear a lot about them. Being the curious type that I am how many is a lot and how often do they have them and how many attendees are the same people at each one.

Actually I just signed up for a blog that comes out once a month listing events.I guess I could look there. Just got my first copy scanned through it and saw nothing of interest to me.

As for what is a fine wine how would I know I don't drink it or care about it. But I would imagine that 2,000 baht a bottle would be a fine wine. Maybe not. Ask Uptheos he seemed to have some ideas on the subject,

I do know enough to know that just because some thing is cheap and very tasty for some people that does not make it a fine wine. I also know that after the second bottle I would break out in big round red spots like I did with penicillin. So I decided to give it up.

uptheos's contributions seem to be quantitative rather then qualitative making them fairly useless

MSPain

uptheos's contributions seem to be quantitative rather then qualitative making them fairly useless

We know you've only been here a few months, but I would have thought that you could have learned how to use the editing function during that time. wink.png

His posts are a hit with the folks. most-popular-ribbon.gif

Actually many of his posts are like Semper who I haven't seen for a while any one know if he is OK.

With all respect due the OP'er I don't buy this whole thing.....I've known Dave for years and that is not the way he does business.

Not saying that you were not dissapointed, but to put the onus on Dave, the River Market, or his staff, just doesn't fly in my book.

As others have said, maybe the difficulty lies in the wine group, or maybe someone promoted something to you that just was not the case.

Again , with all respect, I'll wait til I hear from Dave as to his side of the story. I think that the wrong person or place is being tarred with the brush in error.

Also I tend to take with a grain of salt posts that are made in the middle of the night.....at this time too many posters may have been emboldened with a few sips too many....

I'll second that. Sounds a bit distorted to say the least. Dave and Co are pro's in every sense of the word. Few and far between here in CM.

• Like 2

I thought wine tasting was sniffing it, swishing it around your mouth and spitting it out.

Didn't realise guzzling down 4 or 5 glasses constituted wine tasting. biggrin.png

My stomach has a set of taste buds as well. My excuse anyway.

Agreed and I don't go for all that wine snobbery, just making a point what wine tasting is as opposed to drinking. After a second large glass of anything, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Corton Grand Cru 'Le Roget' 2003 and a Chateau Plonk, Tuesday 2013. wink.png

"Wine tasting" sounds like a sophisticated event for sophisticated folk to appreciate some fine wines. "Wine buffet" sounds like a free for all, one would expect to crawl away from. Which one was this supposed to be?

• Like 2

Agreed and I don't go for all that wine snobbery, just making a point what wine tasting is as opposed to drinking. After a second large glass of anything, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Corton Grand Cru 'Le Roget' 2003 and a Chateau Plonk, Tuesday 2013. wink.png

Are you saying there is a difference.

Not much point in answering this.

Not much point in answering this.

Good answer

• Like 1