Thailand's Taxi Owners Work Hard On Image

webfact

Taxi owners work hard on image
THANAPAT KITJAKOSOL
THE NATION

30205725-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- News reports portraying taxi drivers as rapists and robbers always send shock waves across society. Yet such crimes blamed on cabbies have never really stopped, leaving a big question: Have all relevant parties made enough effort to prevent such crimes?

The operators of taxi-rental services insist they have done the best they can.

"I have never rented my cabs to complete strangers. If I don't know the guys personally, I won't let them drive my taxis. Exceptions are made only when the prospective renters are recommended by someone I know," said Weera Duang-prathum, 67. He has four taxicabs for rent and one to drive on his own.

Samruay Phumipas, 41, said that though she sometimes rented her cabs to strangers, she strictly required proper documents. Public-vehicle driving licences, one of the required documents, are crucial in screening drivers. Former convicts who have been out of jail for at least three years are issued such licences only if they have completed their jail term more than one and a half years ago.

"I also collect copies of the drivers' identity card and household registration," she said. "Besides, if any driver looks suspicious, I will stop renting him my cab."

She said she could tell the difference between honest drivers and questionable ones within days.

"Some drivers will soon get drunk and have difficulty keeping their word. I will try to force these drivers out, because I know sooner or later they will cause trouble," Samruay said.

Another owner of many taxicabs, Kannikar Nakadee, said she too had done her best to weed out bad people. However, she believes authorities such as police and the Land Transport Department need to play an active role in stopping taxi drivers from committing crimes.

Pattaradeesh Srikadkao, a 66-year-old driver, suggested that police should man checkpoints as deterrents. He said he had never harmed his passengers, not even thought of it, over the past several decades. "I have been working as a taxi driver since 1964," he said.

Suwan Jantapien, a 60-year-old driver, said he too was worried about news reports of cabbies who had attacked their passengers.

"Those actions have hurt my livelihood. Prospective passengers become scared and don't want to take a taxi ride," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-09

I think the problem is that the majority of taxi drivers can be anyone ..anyone can rent a taxi and become in 1hour a taxi driver ... how many time have you heard from a taxi driver that he doesnt where it that destination ? I dont think there are enough control from authority , beside the tea money some taxi have to pay to the police ...

• Like 1

What precisely is the link between image improvement and crime prevention?

Is the real issue not the lack of adequate regulations and standards of taxi drivers by local (metropolitan) administrations, as nearly anyone who turns up with a Thai ID will be granted an operating licence.

• Like 1

count me lucky then, in bkk I never had a problem with one. they always bring me where I want to go. 99% puts on the meter withouth even asking and soon as they know you speak a little bit Thai theyre always in for some small talk. Maybe its diffrent in tourist areas or middle of the night though. but generally never had bad experiences.

there are worse things that this country has to work on first.

I only travel with my Thai family , so that solves any problems , a couple times years ago I used a taxi in Chiang Mai, one guy(Old Silver) wanted to know if I wanted a girl before going to Central Plaza, answer, No, err a Boy, No, a sheboy Stop the F!!!!in taxi mate , grabbed a motor cycle taxi and continued the journey , but I've only met good drivers since , old silver is still driving at Chiang Mai by the way.

The good taxi:

I have never had a problem with taxis in BKK. If they want too much after midnight I just find another one. I have a regular driver to take me to/from the airport. He is always on time, his vehicle is late model and immaculate inside and out, and the seat belts in the back are accessible. He drives well - not too fast and not too slow.

The bad taxi:

A Lao girl I knew who lived in BKK told me about her 17 year old sister who decided to visit her as a surprise. The sister was a virgin, never been outside her Lao village before. She arrived by bus late at night, and took a taxi to the address in BKK - or so she thought. Instead she was driven to a remote area near the airport, savagely raped and beaten and left naked with all her possessions gone including her passport. Luckily a kind Thai couple came along and took her to the hospital. It was reported to the police but nothing was ever heard. She had to have a hysterectomy as a result of injuries received in the rape, and then numerous small operations. 18 months after the attack she killed herself.

That taxi driver could still be on the road.

Here's an image of a Thai Taxi driver:

947089_517358171659894_1809405998_n.jpg

Yeah, the guy behind him probably honked his horn. Yaba, whiskey, testosterone-laden Thai men, and taxis don't mix well. Actually, you can substitute "taxis" with "any vehicle". clap2.gif

By the way - WPrime - two thumbs up for the picture!!!

License: Maw Maa / Chaw Ching / 5141

Speed dial: 1155

Hello officer. Please write this taxi license number quickly. The driver is about to kill me with a steel pipe. I'll try and text the picture before I die.

Edited by connda

We've been here for 4 years, we live in town, we don't own a car in Bangkok. It's taxis everywhere we go that we can't walk to. My family and I will have at least 2 of these issues a week with a bad cabbie:

• not knowing where to go even when given the address in Thai (and we don't really go to complicated places)
  • not wanting to use the meter;
  • smelling like booze;
  • high on something;
  • reaching back to touch my kids;
  • being flirty;
  • loud radio;
  • hate farangs expression;
  • driving too fast;
  • refusing to take us;
  • even worse, letting us into the cab and then refusing to take us.

We never had to depended on taxi cabs in any other country we've lived in the past 20 years, so I have nothing to compare with. Are other places in the world this bad?

• Like 2

We've been here for 4 years, we live in town, we don't own a car in Bangkok. It's taxis everywhere we go that we can't walk to. My family and I will have at least 2 of these issues a week with a bad cabbie:

• not knowing where to go even when given the address in Thai (and we don't really go to complicated places)
  • smelling like booze;
  • high on something;
  • being flirty;
  • loud radio;
  • driving too fast;
  • refusing to take us;

We never had to depended on taxi cabs in any other country we've lived in the past 20 years, so I have nothing to compare with. Are other places in the world this bad?

Totally agree with all the above. Can't afford taxis in Phuket & Pattaya. Use BTS when in BKK - sick & tired of Hi-So cabbies deciding whether they will take me where I want to go.

• Like 2

My friend works in a hotel and has to take a taxi from Sukhumvit to Sathorn every morning at 4.30am.

Yesterday (8 May) - after getting into a taxi on Sukhumvit- she realised that he was going somewhere different to where she requested and he claimed that Rama 4 was closed !

After 30 minutes and not knowing where she was - she asked him to stop and let her get out. he refused and said he would take her where she wanted to go.

The usual fare is 70 baht and yet now was almost 150 with no idea what district she was in - totally unrecognisable.

After trying to open the door - found it was central locked and she could not get out - so wound down the window and shouted for help at passers by. The driver told her to stop and then hit her, but continued to drive.

After more yelling for help - he eventually pulled over - my friend got out and the driver sped off - not collecting his fare which was by now 180 baht.

The local people tried to help but couldn't tell her how to get to Sathorn - so she had no choice but to risk a taxi again. Which took 140 baht, so must have been quite far away from where the first taxi dropped her.

Unfortunately, she was too shocked to get the taxi number, but told me that even if she did - whats the use of reporting it to police as we all know they will do absolutely nothing.

I find it sad that when a crime is committed the Thai citizens have zero faith in the law-enforcers and therefore how many crimes go unreported.

This evil taxi driver is now free to harass somebody else instead of being hailed into court for assault and attempted kidnapping.

Improve the image of taxi drivers? - there's a long long way to go yet.

• Like 1

I don't think that I am the only one to have experienced a ride with a taxi driver high on meth. Dreadful!!!

I'd say police clearance record, drug test records as well as T.B screening should be collected by the owners.

I think you may be. How do you know when a person sitting with his back to you is "high on meth"?

I don't think that I am the only one to have experienced a ride with a taxi driver high on meth. Dreadful!!!

I'd say police clearance record, drug test records as well as T.B screening should be collected by the owners.

I think you may be. How do you know when a person sitting with his back to you is "high on meth"?

Easy...they are the ones with bits of pipe or a baseball bat in one hand...rolleyes.gif

• smelling like booze;
  • high on something;
  • being flirty;
  • loud radio;
  • driving too fast;
  • refusing to take us;

As an long term expat in Hong Kong, and I think the same with Singapore, who uses taxis at least once a day the answer is absolutely no.

If driver does not know where you want to go he will hand you the radio to the controller who will sort it out.

Not using a meter? We have something here that seems to be irrelevant in Thailand and that is called laws. They are obeyed like they should be in any decent society. If the driver refused to use the meter you would call 999 and he would be arrested on the spot.

Same with booze/drugs and refusing to take you you to destination.

Driving too fast-request he slows down. This has happened on several occasions and the request has always been complied with, same with the loud radio problem.

Flirty, inappropriate behaviour with kids and hate foreigners-no experience. We get sullen and silent types, not our problem, they have a job to do, and they do it.

No less than 10 taxis refused the Thai girl I was with a ride from suk to ladprao last Sunday late morning (not much traffic) My visiting mate thought he had entered the twilight zone. Taxis here are a complete and utter joke I'm afraid.

You really don't need to be a good observer. You'll know when you see one. The fact that you are implying I might be is disgusting. If you have nothing to say just do that. Say nothing.