How Does The Law Stand On This ?

stopthegreed

My wife said if they get caught, big problem. Baby needs to be given to police or taken to an orphanage. Then if they want to adopt they will be assessed. They are breaking the law. Currently it would be kidnapping.

The big question here is: Why would they get caught?

If the child is well taken care of, might be a reason for that.

So in thailand, this is a case of Mai Pben Rai.

I remember the tsunami in Kao Lak.

The orphans were simply taken care of by family, neighbours, anybody who would care.

So this kid is being taken care of.

Let it be....

caught by neighbours. You know what they're like in villages. Noone pregnant. Now have baby. Who's baby? Especially the ladies in villages they have their mother's meetings daily.

Every society has it's own problems.

Look at any country -- America, Sweden, Germany, Italy, anywhere. They all have problems.

If you read the local news in America, you will most likely become nauseated by all muggings,

kidnapping, incest, sexual abuse, police corruption, police brutality, etc, etc.

Every country has problems simply because they are all comprised of human beings, and thus

imperfect, fallible, and often prone to savage behavior.

The things you see in Thailand -- it's not America, it's not Europe -- it's a very different culture

with very different history, traditions, customs. So many farangs see it as weird, as abnormal.

In Cleveland, Ohio, 3 brothers kidnapped 3 young ladies (including a 14-yr-old and a 16-yr-old)

and held them captive for 10 years.

Tell me if you see this as more "normal" behavior that what you see in Thailand.

If we keep one thing in mind -- Humans are human everywhere -- maybe we can then begin to

see the world as it really is. Without so much bias and prejudice and xenophobia.

• Like 1

Stay out of it. Putting your nose deeper into the subject will only cause trouble for yourself. I know for a fact that a lot of Thai's are not for adoption, so them finding "a baby in the street and keeping it" is a happy jokey way of them saying "look, a relative of ours made a mess, and we're forced to take care of it". But from what you've been posting, they would consider you the nosy farang and shun you even more.

• Like 1

Be very careful it is highly possible IMO that the baby is an unwanted child from a young

girl/lady from a branch of their extended family that don't wish the birth to become local

knowledge. Sometimes minding your own business is a very good idea. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Phuketjock is spot on with his reply and this is as common in Thailand as Toyota Vigos. It's the way it's done to save face for the errant (usually) teenage mother and the family. Everybody knows the truth but it usually won't be mentioned, especially if the family is traditional and from a low class. Typical story is the slightly pregnant Mum goes away to stay with distant relations or family miles away, gives birth, baby is delivered back to the Grandparents while the mother trots off to Pattaya or BKK to earn money to feed the family. The Mum will "adopt" the child in due course and nobody is any the wiser about the truth, but of course they all know the truth anyway.

The word in English for this sort of thing is/was Foundling, and it was as common as a horse and cart in Victorian England, for exactly the same reason as in Thailand today.

Advice to the OP is leave the whole thing alone and let nature take it's course. You can bet that everybody knows the truth and that's why the authorities have not been involved.

Yes, you are correct on the word being foundling. I remember doing an essay on it when I was at school. There is a Foundling hospital which isn't really a hospital and museum in London. I remember trying to get the teacher to arrange a field trip to it as it was so interesting.