High Risk Of More Coups In Thailand, Study Says

webfact

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had two wishes they would be:

That the US government stopped invading countries and that Thailand stopped having coups.

Don't hold your breath!

Both will happen eventually.

Perhaps not in our lifetime though.

Past performance is not guarantee of future returns.....

Except when it comes to coups in Thailand. Whether its next week, month or year, you just know it is coming sometime. Why? Because they get away with it. Simple really

The continuing coup mentality of the military and acceptance of the general population has its own dynamic. I haven't read the author's work, but I doubt he says cause-effect, i.e., because there have been coups, there will continue to be coups. On the face of it, the alleged logic and reasoning of such a statement is no better than tautological.

There is a propensity for Thailand to have coups, a condition we might call momentum. A culture of the coup. Many Thai friends say the army eventually will straighten out the present set of woes (which is brainless to believe, and which also betrays the Thai lightheadedness towards democracy).

And, as a poster pointed out, Thaksin is well prepared for another one, the next one.

S Korea is one of the countries studied. It hasn't had a coup since around 1983 and really isn't going to have another one. The coup leader there was subsequently arrested by the new, democratically elected government, tried and sentenced to death. His crony coup makers got up to 20 years. The charge was "military mutiny." The Korean people, to include the courts, certainly made themselves clear toward coups.

The Thai people have been clear towards coups in the opposite ways. If there's a next coup, it is likely to be the spark that could turn Thailand into a Syria. And Thais would deserve it.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

That the US government stopped invading countries and that Thailand stopped having coups.

I think Obama has delivered your first wish. Of course there is three more years and the Republicans might be back in looking for some more unwinable wars they can get into.

You have my permission to change that one to Thailand dosen't invade Cambodia.wai.gif

As for coups ginjag hit the nail on the head

"Maybe the ones in power should TRY to THINK before bludgening their way through in dictatorial fashion.

concentrate on running a non corrupt government. If you don't have

the army, OR any other way to halt the slime, what would then happen

????"

Look at what the slime is getting away with here now and they don't even have the slime lord on the premises.

I don't look for a coup but I do foresee the next leadership paying more attention to the needs of it's people.

Except when it comes to coups in Thailand. Whether its next week, month or year, you just know it is coming sometime. Why? Because they get away with it. Simple really

The continuing coup mentality of the military and acceptance of the general population has its own dynamic. I haven't read the author's work, but I doubt he says cause-effect, i.e., because there have been coups, there will continue to be coups. On the face of it, the alleged logic and reasoning of such a statement is no better than tautological.

There is a propensity for Thailand to have coups, a condition we might call momentum. A culture of the coup. Many Thai friends say the army eventually will straighten out the present set of woes (which is brainless to believe, and which also betrays the Thai lightheadedness towards democracy).

And, as a poster pointed out, Thaksin is well prepared for another one, the next one.

S Korea is one of the countries studied. It hasn't had a coup since around 1983 and really isn't going to have another one. The coup leader there was subsequently arrested by the new, democratically elected government, tried and sentenced to death. His crony coup makers got up to 20 years. The charge was "military mutiny." The Korean people, to include the courts, certainly made themselves clear toward coups.

The Thai people have been clear towards coups in the opposite ways. If there's a next coup, it is likely to be the spark that could turn Thailand into a Syria. And Thais would deserve it.

Well one day it will happen here. I don't like the cycle that the country has got to now, because there is an inevitability, brought about simply by bringing a few thousand people to sit in the street.

And as for respect for the army, pffffff. They have been singularly successful at feathering their own pockets and shooting their fellow citizens.

That's about it.

• Like 1

Well one day it will happen here. I don't like the cycle that the country has got to now, because there is an inevitability, brought about simply by bringing a few thousand people to sit in the street.

And as for respect for the army, pffffff. They have been singularly successful at feathering their own pockets and shooting their fellow citizens.

That's about it.

Yes, and I would directly say the Thai army are cowards. They shoot their own unarmed people, such as at the temple during the 2010 conflagration. Yet on Dec 8, 1941, when Imperial Japan invaded Thailand, the Thai army had completely surrendered by the time the sun came up on December 9th. Pussies.

Any next time the army will find people shooting back at it. We'd see what happens then.

• Like 1

That's about it.

Yes, and I would directly say the Thai army are cowards. They shoot their own unarmed people, such as at the temple during the 2010 conflagration. Yet on Dec 8, 1941, when Imperial Japan invaded Thailand, the Thai army had completely surrendered by the time the sun came up on December 9th. Pussies.

Any next time the army will find people shooting back at it. We'd see what happens then.

And it will descend into chaos in some parts of the country. The corrupt politicians need locking up by an independent judiciary, and the corrupt army need to learn their place which is in the back ground protecting the country from foreign threats, not from itself.

• Like 2

They shoot their own unarmed people, such as at the temple during the 2010 conflagration. Yet on Dec 8, 1941, when Imperial Japan invaded Thailand, the Thai army had completely surrendered by the time the sun came up on December 9th. Pussies.

And 1973. And 1976. And 1992. All arguably worse.

But as for 1941: far, far be it from me to defend them I think it's at best an oversimplification to blame it on the Army. Don't want to derail the thread but they belonged to Phibun who was a fan of the Japanese before the war even started and the was little chance of him ever going against them.

Enough of that tangent. (Time for dinner and a movie anyway...)

You have to ask not only why there have been so many coups but also why the army relinquishes power afterwards.

Perhaps if the politicians did what they were elected to do honestly might be a way to go.

• Like 2

You have to ask not only why there have been so many coups but also why the army relinquishes power afterwards.

Perhaps if the politicians did what they were elected to do honestly might be a way to go.

The country has a great deal to lose if it remains under military rule. And if the country loses, the military loses as well.

They shoot their own unarmed people, such as at the temple during the 2010 conflagration. Yet on Dec 8, 1941, when Imperial Japan invaded Thailand, the Thai army had completely surrendered by the time the sun came up on December 9th. Pussies.

But as for 1941: far, far be it from me to defend them I think it's at best an oversimplification to blame it on the Army. Don't want to derail the thread but they belonged to Phibun who was a fan of the Japanese before the war even started and the was little chance of him ever going against them.

Enjoy your movie. Watch two. And enjoy a couple more tomorrow. Meanwhile.....

What happened to some kind of "military mutiny" against the fascist pro-Japanese, your man Phibun? Phibun didn't get chucked out of government until much later in the war, after the Seri Thai - the Thai Resistance - already had been formed and organized by the U.S. Office of Strategic Services, which after the war became the CIA?

At the end of 1941 however, there wasn't any patriotic general in the army to take on Phibun. Saving Thailand from its foreign enemy and occupier was taken up by people such as Seni Pramoj, Thai ambassador to Washington, and by Pridi.

Where were the Thai generals? They were fighting with the Japanese against the Brits, Aussies and Kiwis in Burma and grabbing the southern provinces that are creating such headaches the past decade. Thai generals got a different attitude towards the Japanese when the U.S. started bombing Bangkok, to include B-29s, Only then did yellow stained Thai generals realize their exposure as welcoming hosts of Imperial Japan.

This is the "heritage" of the Thai "professional" military.

"Thailand, which has experienced 18 successful coups since 1932, remains "high-risk" to more, the co-author of a new book on democratization in Asia said Thursday."

"Thailand has a past of turbulence and turmoil. It has witnessed at least 10 successful coups and 7 abortive attempts even before military forces seized power on September 19, 2006" http://zeenews.india.com/news/archives/history-of-military-coups-in-thailand_324005.html

"In the 80 years since Thailand abolished absolute monarchy and began tentative steps towards democracy, the military has launched 18 coups — some successful, some not." http://www.zenjournalist.com/2011/04/coups-in-thailand-never-say-never/

Seems they cant get their facts correct. However, the intervals between the coups are getting longer in the last 27 years there have been 2

"Thailand, which has experienced 18 successful coups since 1932, remains "high-risk" to more, the co-author of a new book on democratization in Asia said Thursday."

"Thailand has a past of turbulence and turmoil. It has witnessed at least 10 successful coups and 7 abortive attempts even before military forces seized power on September 19, 2006" http://zeenews.india.com/news/archives/history-of-military-coups-in-thailand_324005.html

"In the 80 years since Thailand abolished absolute monarchy and began tentative steps towards democracy, the military has launched 18 coups — some successful, some not." http://www.zenjournalist.com/2011/04/coups-in-thailand-never-say-never/

Seems they cant get their facts correct. However, the intervals between the coups are getting longer in the last 27 years there have been 2

So ...when do you estimate the next one to be?

The coup will not really achieve much other than throwing out these corrupt bastards only to be replaced by more corrupt bastards but with a lesser appetite for filling their pockets. Corrupt they will be but not as ruthless as the present scum.

You talking about the army or the democrat coalition?

• Like 1

If this present government tries to control the judiciary and whitewash the [snip] from Dubai, not to mention become a dictatorship, you're damn right there's a high risk of another coup!

Just get it over and make it happen and stop all these child plays

Enjoy your movie. Watch two. And enjoy a couple more tomorrow. Meanwhile.....

What happened to some kind of "military mutiny" against the fascist pro-Japanese, your man Phibun? Phibun didn't get chucked out of government until much later in the war, after the Seri Thai - the Thai Resistance - already had been formed and organized by the U.S. Office of Strategic Services, which after the war became the CIA?

At the end of 1941 however, there wasn't any patriotic general in the army to take on Phibun. Saving Thailand from its foreign enemy and occupier was taken up by people such as Seni Pramoj, Thai ambassador to Washington, and by Pridi.

Where were the Thai generals? They were fighting with the Japanese against the Brits, Aussies and Kiwis in Burma and grabbing the southern provinces that are creating such headaches the past decade. Thai generals got a different attitude towards the Japanese when the U.S. started bombing Bangkok, to include B-29s, Only then did yellow stained Thai generals realize their exposure as welcoming hosts of Imperial Japan.

This is the "heritage" of the Thai "professional" military.

My man, Phibun? Why distort and insult?

How is any of this oversimplified précis of which I was already aware a question?

"Phibun didn't get chucked out of government until much later in the war, after the Seri Thai - the Thai Resistance - already had been formed and organized by the U.S. Office of Strategic Services, which after the war became the CIA?"

I'm well aware of the history of WWII in Thailand elsewhere. You have oversimplified again but none of that has ANYTHING to do with me or my post. And trying to imply that I have in any way whatsoever have defended or praised the Thai military is absurd and dishonest so I can only hope that's not what you were trying to do.

Carry on. Nothing to be gained with any exchange...

The reason for so many coups here in Thailand is because the coup makers dont perform them properly. Take the last one for example. If you dont want ghosts to come back to haunt you, bloodless coups are NOT the way to go.

You can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs.

The reason for so many coups here in Thailand is because the coup makers dont perform them properly. Take the last one for example. If you dont want ghosts to come back to haunt you, bloodless coups are NOT the way to go.

I think a number of postings to this topic have made clear that any new coup attempt will not be a quick or bloodless one. No more cakewalk coups in Thailand.

Thaksin and his people are well organized and ready to lay down heavy firepower against the army, should another coup be attempted. There are watermelon generals and other officers and men in the army that the potential coup makers cannot count on.

That's why I said, if another coup is attempted, it could be the spark that turns Thailand into a kind of Syria.

• Like 1

As a non american i dont find america invading other countries so embarrassing, On the other hand regarding your second wish the last coup in thailand came as a breath of fresh air...i would rather corrupt governments stopped making coups necassary.
Excuse me? What are you talking about? The US INVADES countries which is embarrassing to every civilized person US or not! (and they usually lose). A coup in Thailand is slightly different, Thailand unlawfully INVADES Thailand! And for the last two, the Hi-so's, who are the cause and perpetrators of the invasion have been thrown out! The "normal" people of Thailand are learning a lesson ' don't let the hi-so crap control your lives" Long live Thailand!
  • Like 1

I think a number of postings to this topic have made clear that any new coup attempt will not be a quick or bloodless one. No more cakewalk coups in Thailand.

Thaksin and his people are well organized and ready to lay down heavy firepower against the army, should another coup be attempted. There are watermelon generals and other officers and men in the army that the potential coup makers cannot count on.

That's why I said, if another coup is attempted, it could be the spark that turns Thailand into a kind of Syria.

Give me a break!
  • Like 1

We all might need to make a break - for the border.

Another coup means the army isn't going to step down anytime soon. (You think the hi-so's are gone?) All the election did in 2007 after the army, as self-scheduled, stepped down was to yet again reelect Thaksin's people. Then what happened? Samak got booted out because he like to cook on television and was stupid enough to accept a (cough) few baht for it. Somchai got aced out by a silent behind the scenes coup. Bangkok's center got torched for it.

A new coup against Yingluck and Thaksin's present gang would be absolutely intolerable to the reds. Each side knows the stakes involved in any new coup. It would be for keeps, the new old Burma. Each side would neither come nor go quietly.

As a non american i dont find america invading other countries so embarrassing, On the other hand regarding your second wish the last coup in thailand came as a breath of fresh air...i would rather corrupt governments stopped making coups necassary.
Excuse me? What are you talking about? The US INVADES countries which is embarrassing to every civilized person US or not! (and they usually lose). A coup in Thailand is slightly different, Thailand unlawfully INVADES Thailand! And for the last two, the Hi-so's, who are the cause and perpetrators of the invasion have been thrown out! The "normal" people of Thailand are learning a lesson ' don't let the hi-so crap control your lives" Long live Thailand!

Do you even have a clue about what you are saying?

To me you are just another name on a long list of people blaming Hi So's and elite's for the way the Government is run no matter who is in.

If it is the Democrats in power you say it is the Army.

Just more blah blah blah the only family any of you people name is the Shinawatra's. The rest are becoming a myth they are talked about but never named.

Kinda like Batman in Gotham city no one knows his real name.

Another coup means the army isn't going to step down anytime soon. (You think the hi-so's are gone?) All the election did in 2007 after the army, as self-scheduled, stepped down was to yet again reelect Thaksin's people. Then what happened? Samak got booted out because he like to cook on television and was stupid enough to accept a (cough) few baht for it. Somchai got aced out by a silent behind the scenes coup. Bangkok's center got torched for it.

A new coup against Yingluck and Thaksin's present gang would be absolutely intolerable to the reds. Each side knows the stakes involved in any new coup. It would be for keeps, the new old Burma. Each side would neither come nor go quietly.

Have you been following the reds their mouth pieces are going but the people on the ground are not showing up.

I don't really think we will see any new coups but if we did it might be the red shirts staging it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwai2.gif

Have you been following the reds their mouth pieces are going but the people on the ground are not showing up.

I don't really think we will see any new coups but if we did it might be the red shirts staging it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwai2.gif

Two trillion baht is a lot of money for this government to play with, sorry to say. And Thais aren't too good with commas either .

I doubt it's the general population of reds that might be armed and dangerous. Who thinks or believes all the red shirt folk are going to return to the ways life used to be? Raise you hands. laugh.png