We Are Being Flooded Out By Idiot Developers.

klubex99

What the hell is wrong with the Thai government?

Why can't they regulate town planning more efficiently?

Maybe I used the wrong word in the title... 'Idiot', More like clever, unscrupulous or downright corrupt.

Me and the wife own a house in a nice middle class district on the outskirts of Korat City. A nice quiet and clean place, fairly new (5 years old). With most residents being doctors, lawyers, teachers etc... We love living here, but over the past 3 years, we have seen a developer buying up all the areas of marsh which act as natural sumps for containing the rainwater.

These sumps have one at a time been filled in with sand and had shop houses and moo bhans built on them, and I must add that these properties are lying empty, I have seen one sold in 3 years out of about 120. We know they are buying this land cheap, it is not ideal building land, because the more sumps that get filled, the more it floods our streets.

Now they have reclaimed a huge one, and have filled that and will no doubt start building more property on it. The thing is, we have had 3 modest rainfalls here in the past few weeks and the road behind our house was flooding by 12 inches of water. Even in the big Korat floods of 2010, there was no water on that road, but now the drains can't take the extra run-off. It takes at least 12 hours for the water to subside and it is going to get worse when they concrete over it all.

The local government reacted to 2010 by increasing the bore sizes of the drains on all the major roads that got flooded out, but all along while they were doing this, I was calling it a waste of money and a classic display of stupidity. ... but the floods happened because the river rose higher than the drain outlets, and when that happens, I don't care how wide your drain is, no water will move through it..... What are these idiots thinking? Do they even know what they are doing? So after all this money and effort, it still floods there.

Anyway, I have had a chat with a few people from the street over the back, and asked them if they are worried. If so, why don't you all get together and protest? Unfortunately the common attitude is mai pen rai. My wife seems to think that if someone buys land, they have a right to do with it whatever they want, no matter how much it affects others around them. Where I come from (UK) you wouldn't have a chance in hell of building anything that creates a problem for others, or represents a risk to other people's property.

I am dreading the start of the rainy season, because I know that just a few days in a row of heavy rainfall and we will not even be able to drive to our house.... This is ridiculous.

I doubt we could even sell the house now, what with there being a massive surplus of new ones, and that on top of it getting a reputation as a flood zone.

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

I agree it's stupid, and that it wouldn't happen in the West. But TIT. You bought in Thailand, not the West.

Maybe 120 new various units and maybe 3 occupied? And more coming on? Drainage ruined with more to come?

I wouldn't touch property in Thailand with an 11 foot pole, and if I was you and could, I would be selling.

This is, IMO, about corruption in the government and banks. Someone is making a lot of money building all of this stuff, and the money isn't being made by sales to end users. As you said, the units themselves sit empty.

Thailand is the land of corruption. Too many people believe their hype, and there is no one to stop the rape.

You need to ask yourself, why did I buy in the first place?

Because it was one of the only places that stayed dry in the floods 3 years ago.

But now the developers are changing that for everyone.

The 205 a major road to the west from Korat runs along side this soon to be developed land, and that did get problems in heavy rain, and this could become a major issue if this goes ahead, same for the bypass, both very busy and importand roads..... I hope they go 3 foot underwater, maybe then someone will step in and say 'enough is enough!'

yep stop all development after your piece of land has been developed. blink.png

Nobody is saying to stop developments, just think about existing residents, that's all.... not a lot to ask really is it?

But it hasn't flooded yet. Wait til it does then you can say see I told you so.

The houses down the road from us, about 1KM also never used to flood, now they flood every time we get heavy rain, the people there have to keep a stock of sand bags. Even the market and local shops are starting to see so much water out the front that only built up pickups can navigate around.

This is causing widespread problems for a lot of decent people who can't afford to lose their homes, these people have lived there for a long time, and the new developments are causing havoc here.

Edited by klubex99

That's why I prefer a rental.

Move when I want,or if I have to move,no problem.

But I try to stay clear of the stockbroker belt,type properties.

Middle of rice paddy presently.

The houses down the road from us, about 1KM also never used to flood, now they flood every time we get heavy rain, the people there have to keep a stock of sand bags. Even the market and local shops are starting to see so much water out the front that only built up pickups can navigate around.

This is causing widespread problems for a lot of decent people who can't afford to lose their homes, these people have lived there for a long time, and the new developments are causing havoc here.

You wouldn't care less about the other folk,if it wasn't,effecting you.

Classic case of (not in my back yard) common affliction in Farangland.

• Like 1

yep stop all development after your piece of land has been developed. blink.png

In the West, anyone who proposes a development has to engineer drainage. There has to be a storm drain design, checked and approved by government engineers. The drains have to be installed and run to something which will carry the water away. If that something can't be found due to lack of slope and natural drains such as sufficient creeks and rivers, the development doesn't get built.

There are also laws that your runoff can't run onto someone else's property. That would be a trespass. If I walk past your house and just throw a bucket of muddy water on your lawn it's a criminal trespass.

This is the fear of Thailand. You buy something good, and someone else is allowed to ruin it. There's nothing stopping them from running their water and mud onto your property.

IMO purchasing property in Thailand isn't for Westerners. We just aren't used to the lack of laws to protect the investment. The corruption in the country will allow someone to pay someone off and build anything, anywhere with no regard for drainage, or street carrying capacity, or parking, or anything else that the new development imposes on other people and their property.

• Like 2

OP, i feel your concern...Something similar has happened to me, now i get the backyard flooded whenever is raining for more than 1 hour.

Luckily i am on rent, so i can leave if the situation becomes unbearable.

We have had a big resort built on a natural drainage canal close to here, when it rains heavily the main road gets flooded by 50 Cm. of filthy water, making it difficult for motorbikes and cars to pass by.

Nobody's complaining, the resort belongs to a rich man.

You did the best thing you could do, vent your frustration on TV. :)

Second best thing, try to sell before it gets worse, or put up with it..

Welcome to Thailand.

Here is what it looked like just 2 KM from my house back in 2010, this was the scene for a week and people were trapped either in their area and couldn't get through the floods, or they were cut off from their homes, there were hundreds sleeping on the roadside. The hospitals were even flooded out and most of the larger schools. Thousands of businesses and homes. Just like BKK got it.

154861_1381435950500_757560_n.jpg

My wife's family were totally flooded out, Here parents and sister were homeless till it subsided. Luckily her aunt owns a large hotel in the city so we were able to stay there. I really don't want to start seeing this on the other side of my gate. I know the misery it brings.

We are going to attempt to sell, will probably carve the price right down to sell. I wouldn't mind so much, but I just threw a million into a new kitchen and bathroom last year... That was an error of judgement for listening to the local Thais who said they can not build on that main sump... They were wrong.

But then again, I thought the local government might have drawn a lesson from all this misery and cost.

Edited by klubex99

When I build my house I was required to put a drain in over the whole lenght of the land at street side.

My nearest neighbour is 1 km to each side.They told me which size the pipes had to be and how far the manholes could be apart. When I asked them how deep the draing should be laid they told me , up to you. They even didn't tell me to which side it should slope.

So if I ever have a near neighbour he will be told the same. How they ever can have a working drain if all the pipes are laying different depths ?

Now when the drain was finished I had the drains all around my plot connected to the streetside drain of course, but was told that it had to be closed off so that no water could exit from it during heavy rain.

• Like 1

What do you expect in a country that really thought that boats moored to bridges on the river in Bangkok could push the water faster out to the gulf to end the flooding

This country is run by idiots that can only think money number one

Hilarious, and funny you should mention that. My wife tells me now that the developer is a friend of Thaksin and is one of the Pheu Thai mob.

So the reason nobody stands up to it, is that they are afraid.

What do you expect in a country that really thought that boats moored to bridges on the river in Bangkok could push the water faster out to the gulf to end the flooding

This country is run by idiots that can only think money number one

Hilarious, and funny you should mention that. My wife tells me now that the developer is a friend of Thaksin and is one of the Pheu Thai mob.

So the reason nobody stands up to it, is that they are afraid.

Simple minds are controlled by fear. I always thought Americans were bad until I came here. Never seen anything like it.

• Like 1

Never been flooded at the 30 th floor, and anyway the ground floor isn't also as the building is on a hill. Am I a genius ? It seems when I read others horror stories...

• Like 1

I agree it's stupid, and that it wouldn't happen in the West. But TIT. You bought in Thailand, not the West.

Maybe 120 new various units and maybe 3 occupied? And more coming on? Drainage ruined with more to come?

I wouldn't touch property in Thailand with an 11 foot pole, and if I was you and could, I would be selling.

This is, IMO, about corruption in the government and banks. Someone is making a lot of money building all of this stuff, and the money isn't being made by sales to end users. As you said, the units themselves sit empty.

Thailand is the land of corruption. Too many people believe their hype, and there is no one to stop the rape.

Actually it did happen in the west. The UK has built on many flood plains and reaped the same problem.

Your main problem is they never considered your or any other property owners situation prior to the new developments, so it is sure as hell now they are built they will care even less. You will never get a result that will satisfy you to this situation but i think you know that already. Only 2 choices in my opinion sell or put up with it, but 3-5 yrs down the line when it is common knowledge about the problem i feel you will have only 1 choice personally i would be making my decision sooner rather than later..

• Like 2

The houses build on the side of Mount Vesuvius in Italy were done so without planning permission or permits of any kind and only became an issue last time the volcano erupted. Many other Italian volcanos have houses built all around them with no permits or permission.

Sorry to say it is something to consider everywhere you buy. Flooding can happen for a number of reasons, I have only ever brought 3 properties and always made sure they were on high ground. Sometimes it might not be exactly where you want to live but it will never flood.

• Like 2

From what I read, it seems you did a bit of due diligence I think before adding to your place. In doing so, you listened to a man that hadd a vested interest in the answer he gave you? ie, he said they can't build there, so let me put the kitchen in for you? Or was it slightly different than that?

I feel for you. I have been thinking slightly on buying a house. IT really does just seem like a giant headache at every level though. Especially the part about not being able to leave for long periods of time. Obviously good and bad come with owning houses here. Good luck with it all.