Is It Worth It & How Much Roughly?

I am saving up for a Kawasaki Ninja 600cc but that is not what this thread is about. If you have not read my other thread I have a 4 speed 4 months old Suzuki Smash, no clutch as you all know. I was contemplating the following:

>Thinner tires
>New suspension
>Maybe boring out the engine (I know this may be risky for a fairly new bike)
​>Changing around the sprockets

At the moment I can max it out at 110kmh and the dial only goes up to 120 if I recall, if I make said modifications, what kind of top speed could I get and how much would the acceleration differ?
Cheers

Thinner tyres will destroy the handling so why bother with the expense of changing the suspension when you will feel no benefit.

Boring the engine out will do little for top end power as it will only be by a few cc. Just not worth it.

Putting a bigger sprocket on the back will get you to the next traffic light half a second quicker and waste some fuel.

Putting a smaller sprocket on the back will get you to the next traffic light half a second slower and save some fuel.

Mods just aren't worth it imho.

Get a proper sport bike if you want one and can afford it.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Thinner tyres will destroy the handling so why bother with the expense of changing the suspension when you will feel no benefit.

Boring the engine out will do little for top end power as it will only be by a few cc. Just not worth it.

Putting a bigger sprocket on the back will get you to the next traffic light half a second quicker and waste some fuel.

Putting a smaller sprocket on the back will get you to the next traffic light half a second slower and save some fuel.

Mods just aren't worth it imho.

Get a proper sport bike if you want one and can afford it.

Ok scrap the tires, but you didn't exactly answer my question. I thought about this because yesterday a similar bike to mine whizzed by me and I was quite astonished the speed of it. (I do ride fast myself but have great control, not being big headed but I was put on a bike from the age of 5 and raced moto x). I know a crash is pretty much inevitable though. So,

suspension how much for a decent upgrade to standard?

What else can I do apart from totally rebuilding the engine to up the top speed?

​I am going to get myself a 600cc ninja like I said, but at the moment I have other expenses that are more important, so that is a distant expenditure.

Answer to your question in as simple a form as possible. You can spend 100k (maybe less) baht on rebuilding the entire bike, suspension, motor, rims, tires, etc. etc. which will make it faster, not much faster unless you design it to be a drag bike, it will use more gas and you won't be able to sell it later for anything close to the money you put in.

Recommend you just save your money and purchase a proper sport bike, Ninja 650 is pretty fast, Honda 500 CBR is pretty fast - of course none of the bikes I listed are Super Sport racers but they will outrun 90% of what's actually on the road in Thailand today including sports cars if you are a skilled rider.

End of the thought, why spend money on modifying a scooter when you can just save that money for the sport bike of your choice. Better long term investment.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

It's not worth it- you'll basically destroy the bike's main function, which is to be basic transportation.

Ok thanks for the blunt answers people. What about a better suspension cost wise? After this brief insight I will most likely at most change the sprocket on the back and invest on a new suspension. The ninja can wait a year or so, I have other things in the pipe line that are more important at this present moment in time.

It's not worth it- you'll basically destroy the bike's main function, which is to be basic transportation.

Ok thanks for the blunt answers people. What about a better suspension cost wise? After this brief insight I will most likely at most change the sprocket on the back and invest on a new suspension. The ninja can wait a year or so, I have other things in the pipe line that are more important at this present moment in time.

Prices are all over the map. Anywhere from 1500-6000 baht. Depends on what you want and how shiny it is.

Several of the young guys in the village have put fancy looking forks and rear suspension on their bikes and being an ageing teenager(:-)) myself they look pretty cool. I was surprised at how cheap they were but then again they are Chinese and not Ohlin or White Power etc...

How good they are I have not idea and would suggest getting friendly with a couple of your local boy racers to try a blag a test ride if possible.

heheh..... ask about buying a BB gun & they all tell you that you will shoot your eye out wink.png

I can't help either but do know companies like YSS make all kinds of shock upgrades for scooters.

Then companies like

DBS do pipes, cams, bore kits, ecu's etc for scooters

http://www.grim-dbs.com/product.php

If you go to a magazine shop & even though they are in Thai there are scooter dedicated magazines

In them you will see many ad's & websites

You can basically figure them out I'm sure

heheh..... ask about buying a BB gun & they all tell you that you will shoot your eye out wink.png

I can't help either but do know companies like YSS make all kinds of shock upgrades for scooters.

Then companies like

DBS do pipes, cams, bore kits, ecu's etc for scooters

http://www.grim-dbs.com/product.php

If you go to a magazine shop & even though they are in Thai there are scooter dedicated magazines

In them you will see many ad's & websites

You can basically figure them out I'm sure

I am fluent in Thai but can only read and write a little, but yea I may try that out. I know of 2 people personally who I could ask to have a go on their bike, but they are not in my town and live in Bangkok. @apetley LMAO, funny you mention shiny, me and an English friend use to say that a lot of Thais are like magpies in the sense they are so attracted to the shiny things!

I will never go into a dealership or garage myself even though I can speak Thai because as soon as they see a farang, often they only see a ฿ sign coming their way. So I ask my girlfriend to go and sort anything out such as changing the oil and stuff like that,

I did speeds of 120km/h and over on a Suzuki Smash and cannot recommend it as a safe practice. The bike is less than 100kg and the whole thing is not made for that speed (and forces that come with it)....

Getting the parts to make it go that fast cost about the same as you paid for the motorcycle new. So if you want to go faster, sell your Suzuki Smash as it is, and buy a faster motorcycle.... you live longer

We have had a Smash up the village for the best part of a year. It's a plain as mashed potatoes short range commuter bike. So my question is: Why the he11 would you even bother!

We have had a Smash up the village for the best part of a year. It's a plain as mashed potatoes short range commuter bike. So my question is: Why the he11 would you even bother!

Yea I get your point, but I would still like to get a new suspension fitted though tbh. I don't care about flashy mods or 'bling' and yea I am saving up for the ninja 600. The thing is, because I come from a childhood where I raced motorbikes, as soon as I get on one I can't help but, well race. I have not had a serious accident in the past 4 years and I don't make silly errors or moves. if I know I can over take a car/truck before the oncoming traffic gets to me, I will go for it. I am a bit worried because I know myself and if I had 600cc underneath me, god knows what will happen.

Likito in Bangkok (Ladprao) have a good selection and they don't rip off farang. I've bought a few bits (YSS rear shock, ProTaper bars etc.) for my KSR there and they're decent guys. They told me straight which items were original and which ones were Chinese copies, and prices are marked on the item. They'll fit the parts as well.

• Like 2

Sell it and pick up a Tena/nova/ etc etc in good condition, I forget which model has the 6 speed 17hp 2stroke motor, but I bet you could find one for under 15k in great condition, under 10k with work needed. This would give you a fun and fast bike to ride while saving for the ninja.

• Like 1

Cheers for the advice Jonny, Omega and BlackArtmis. I don't know if I will invest in a new bike yet even though that is not a huge amount at all, the fact is I am moving next month and have a few other priorities financially speaking, so I may just go with a new suspension setup for the meantime, keep saving for a ninja and see where that goes.

Yea I get your point, but I would still like to get a new suspension fitted though tbh. I don't care about flashy mods or 'bling' and yea I am saving up for the ninja 600. The thing is, because I come from a childhood where I raced motorbikes, as soon as I get on one I can't help but, well race. I have not had a serious accident in the past 4 years and I don't make silly errors or moves. if I know I can over take a car/truck before the oncoming traffic gets to me, I will go for it. I am a bit worried because I know myself and if I had 600cc underneath me, god knows what will happen.

Ok, your got an over active adrenalin gland!

Ok, your got an over active adrenalin gland!

Maybe hehe, I try my hardest to drive slower and more 'responsibly' when I have my GF on the back, but oft4n she will start to tap or slap me on the back and has even cried once. However, I feel confident in my skills and am very alert on the road even at high speeds, although I am ware all it takes is one idiot to not look and pull out on me. I feel a rush for sure when I for example over take a truck at 80kmh or so and a car is oncoming and I know I have about a foot either side of my bike.

I'm all for high-performance riding in a suitable environment (even on the street in the right spot), but you're talking about a bike that is miles south of 'high performance'- even if you upgrade the suspension (and, hopefully, the brakes- you will need to work on your stopping distance) it's still going to be a small-framed scooter that just wasn't built for your intended application (on a track in short bursts in one of the scooter racing series, maybe, but certainly not on public roads)- wait until you get the money together for something more suited for how you want to ride- as a former racer, you should know this already (and, frankly, your seeming love of close calls re: trucks and cars combined with improper equipment is a recipe or disaster no matter what you're riding).

I'm all for high-performance riding in a suitable environment (even on the street in the right spot), but you're talking about a bike that is miles south of 'high performance'- even if you upgrade the suspension (and, hopefully, the brakes- you will need to work on your stopping distance) it's still going to be a small-framed scooter that just wasn't built for your intended application (on a track in short bursts in one of the scooter racing series, maybe, but certainly not on public roads)- wait until you get the money together for something more suited for how you want to ride- as a former racer, you should know this already (and, frankly, your seeming love of close calls re: trucks and cars combined with improper equipment is a recipe or disaster no matter what you're riding).

I use to rave motoX so it is slightly different to road racing/driving, but the principle is the same I guess. I was thinking on the way to work today that I want to go and get my brakes tuned when I next change my oil. Do you know of the price range for tuning/upgrading your brakes? Yea I understand that my bike is pretty much a city bike that gets you from A-B but I still cannot help myself when weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds, it is just something innate. I will TRY and curve my yearn for the rush and drive a little safer I guess.

#1 if you speak fluent Thai you are very unlikely to get ripped off and can probably do better than the GF. #2 no matter how good a bike you have or how good a driver you are there is not much you can do when you are going 80 plus kmh and some body crosses 10 metres infront of you. This happened to me 2 months ago. I just thank the higher power I'm still alive.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

#1 if you speak fluent Thai you are very unlikely to get ripped off and can probably do better than the GF. #2 no matter how good a bike you have or how good a driver you are there is not much you can do when you are going 80 plus kmh and some body crosses 10 metres infront of you. This happened to me 2 months ago. I just thank the higher power I'm still alive.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Man yesterday here in HH we had the first rain in maybe 3 months and boy did it rain. I was riding home with my GF on the back and we were coming down this main road into town which was quite a steep hill. I think I got up to around 90 and I could see a few cars and bikes ahead so went to slow down a little. I then realised there was a pickup truck totally stationary and I broke hard enough to stop but not to skid but it was still not enough so I veered to the left and nearly hit a bike to the left of me. That was a close call and my GF was not happy to say the least.

@His Masters Voice yes well we are all going to die one day, if I die by the wheel, by a knife, cancer, heart attack, whatever it may be, we all will go through it. I am not scared of death and I am TRYING to ride slower when I have my partner on the back. I may look up if there are any track days close by.