Which Gate Reserved For The Removal Of The Deads?

muchogra

I did a little reading on the history of the Old City and Chiang Mai. I read the part about one of the four gates was reserved exclusively, in King Mengrai's time, for the removal of the deads; but the article didn't say which.

I'm trying to appear less ignorant when 7 friends abroad visiting us next week for 4 days. 3 will be staying in our 2 spared bedrooms, the other 4 I 've booked 2 rooms in the moat. I checked out Top North but the rooms are too old for my taste, so I booked some place close for the same price.

"...I checked out Top North but the rooms are too old for my taste, so I booked some place close for the same price."..."

Don't know what you or your friend's budgets are but I have a friend from Japan coming to visit in 2 weeks and yesterday I booked a room for him at Khum Phaya Resort normally 6,420 per night on promotion for 2,100 per night. Went over and selected the room. BEAUTIFUL place. Hadn't been in there before but was very impressed. The receptionist said the last time they did a promotion like this, a tour company took all the rooms in the first hour. When I paid today they told me a few rooms were still available.

O.K. a little off topic but noticed the OP mentioned needing a place for guests to stay. Just thought I'd pass on the info.smile.png

Edited by elektrified

So.. just in case any of them die, you know from which gate to take them out of the old town? smile.png

You are seriously well prepared!

Gee, Winnie, if I don't know you better or I'm one who take things literally, I would be doing my &@#%. There will be 3 males and 4 females. These 3 guys have survived in their respective jobs and I hope they will survive here. One is a retired fireman, one a retired cop, and another a retired mafiaso - all old friends.

"...I checked out Top North but the rooms are too old for my taste, so I booked some place close for the same price."..."

Don't know what you or your friend's budgets are but I have a friend from Japan coming to visit in 2 weeks and yesterday I booked a room for him at Khum Phaya Resort normally 6,420 per night on promotion for 2,100 per night. Went over and selected the room. BEAUTIFUL place. Hadn't been in there before but was very impressed. The receptionist said the last time they did a promotion like this, a tour company took all the rooms in the first hour. When I paid today they told me a few rooms were still available.

O.K. a little off topic but noticed the OP mentioned needing a place for guests to stay. Just thought I'd pass on the info.smile.png

I booked rooms in the moat to facilitate their walking around in case I can't be with them all the time! One guy (divorced) is paying the trip for a girl (much younger) from China. I can't let my wife know that. Thing is already bad enough when my male friend (known for decades) puts 2 females (in the 20's - staff in a company where he works part-time) to sleep in one of our bedrooms. The wife has been b_itching saying she doesn't know them. Neither do I, but it's hard for me to turn down my friend for these girls are not the bad kind.

It seems like there are some conflicting information here. When I gather enough information, I will just selct one to impress them with my "knowledge". Heck, they won't know and won't bother to try to find out anyway.

Guess I have to be a little bit serious here when people are helping me out with the answer. From what I have read and remember is that the Old City was built around 700 years ago. There were 4 walls making a rectangular enclosure. In the midddle of each wall was a gate with Thapae Gate being the main gate. The gate reserved for the removal of the deads should be one of the reamining orinal three. The consensus so far seems to point to Gate Suan Prune.

Huh? Take another look at the picture Dave2 posted.... No need to look for a consensus.

Guess I have to be a little bit serious here when people are helping me out with the answer. From what I have read and remember is that the Old City was built around 700 years ago. There were 4 walls making a rectangular enclosure. In the midddle of each wall was a gate with Thapae Gate being the main gate. The gate reserved for the removal of the deads should be one of the reamining orinal three. The consensus so far seems to point to Gate Suan Prune.

• Like 1

I think you'll find there are five gates and Suan Prung has funeral connections.

Actually there were 6. Suan Prung is/was used for funeral processions.

Some interesting history below:

oldcitychiangmai

Chiangmaitouristguide

travelfish

Great web pages. Thanks for giving them to us.

Muchogra will surely be able to impress his guests with all that information.

I don't think he should tell his guests the distance around it until after they have walked it.

muchogra
  • Like 2

Huh? Take another look at the picture Dave2 posted.... No need to look for a consensus.

Yes, Steve, indeed so. Thanks. My ignorance!

I think you'll find there are five gates and Suan Prung has funeral connections.

Actually there were 6. Suan Prung is/was used for funeral processions.

Some interesting history below:

oldcitychiangmai

Chiangmaitouristguide

travelfish

Great web pages. Thanks for giving them to us.

Muchogra will surely be able to impress his guests with all that information.

I don't think he should tell his guests the distance around it until after they have walked it.

muchogra

Yes, hellodolly, the sites provided by Tywais are very interesting to read and some very nice pictures. Thanks to Tywais!

hellodolly, thanks to you too who just reminded me to look up the length of the perimeter. About 8 kilometers should be about right! The guys are fit. Don't know about the girls though! I, myself did walk the distance and later decided to make my biggest investment of buying a pair of jean shoes - a whopping B1,200. From then ever since, I wear those jean shoes almost exclusively for, must be, about a year now.

---------

To the others, thanks for the humor! Some one should really have mentioned I reserve parking space in the moat - a space that you can even park a car nose down!

Edited by muchogra

interesting topic..what is the different between old city & chiangmai?no people live in old city or ??why is there a split?

Actually there were 6. Suan Prung is/was used for funeral processions. Some interesting history below: oldcitychiangmaiChiangmaitouristguidetravelfish
yes for the link.

interesting topic..

what is the different between old city & chiangmai?

no people live in old city or ??

why is there a split?

Lots of people live in the old city.

There is no split, but it is a distinct area within Chiang Mai. It's scenic with all the temples, and relatively quiet.

It seems like there are some conflicting information here. When I gather enough information, I will just selct one to impress them with my "knowledge". Heck, they won't know and won't bother to try to find out anyway.

That's the spirit! :) This reminds me of a tour guide I used to know.. He explained to me that tourists are usually full of questions, so if he didn't know the answer to something (like what a particular river or bridge was called), he just made it up. :)

interesting topic..

what is the different between old city & chiangmai?

no people live in old city or ??

why is there a split?

Lots of people live in the old city.

There is no split, but it is a distinct area within Chiang Mai. It's scenic with all the temples, and relatively quiet.

nice. just what i like. quiet & green mountain. :)