Picnic & Things

LawrenceChee

The new family is into picnics and green spaces to chill out...I have not really seen many to be honest...anyone has a quiet spot to recommend besides that lake resevoir near Maerim

Where does one buy picnic mats and sets here ? At Central or Robinson do they have a decent selection ? ...easy to order through Amazon but the tax & duty came up to double the item pricing...ouch !

Thanks for the tips !

Lawrence

1 The public park on the corner of the moat (corner between Suthep road and hang dong road) is a nice place, feed the catfish.

2 Top of Suthep road, past and up to Galair restaurant, dam on left before restaurant, over the dam, nice places to sit.

3 Then the Arboretum (exercise park) just before the zoo in Huay Keow road.

4 Past the Zoo, on the left between Buddha and many stalls, walk up the path to Huay Keow park and waterfall. Nice view of the waterfall, plenty of grass.

5 Wat Umong has many nice areas to sit in, and a lake full of turtles and catfish (fun to feed). Up Suthep road, over canal road, left before the 7-11, at the end of the road.

6 Wat Palaat, up huay keow road, half way up to Doi Suthep, down the turn off labelled 'Wat Palaat'

7 Also many picnic spots on the way up, stop when you see a sala from the road, nice beside the stream, little bridges everywhere..

Is that enough yet?

Picnic mats in all the cheap goods shops (cheap plastic goods outside) about 400-800bht

Here is a map I made for you.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=200173749410573970485.0004dc5c161c165c384c6&msa=0&ll=18.799068,98.950939&spn=0.075727,0.154324

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

You have already created the 'new family'? Thought it would take at least 9 months for that to happen.wink.png

My favorite is Suan Tweechol at Horizon Village, Doi Saket Road. Awesome place to chill out and picnic. The waterfalls along Huay Kaew are nice too (but not this time of year). Mae Tok Mae Sa is very nice - again not this time of year.

Don't buy the picnic stuff at Central, go to the Thai plastic shops. We bought our mats (they have different sizes), cooler, etc. 6 years ago and have used them hundreds of times and they are still as good as new.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

You have already created the 'new family'? Thought it would take at least 9 months for that to happen.wink.png

My favorite is Suan Tweechol at Horizon Village, Doi Saket Road. Awesome place to chill out and picnic. The waterfalls along Huay Kaew are nice too (but not this time of year). Mae Tok Mae Sa is very nice - again not this time of year.

Don't buy the picnic stuff at Central, go to the Thai plastic shops. We bought our mats (they have different sizes), cooler, etc. 6 years ago and have used them hundreds of times and they are still as good as new.

Enjoy!

Thanks mate ! Great suggestions and will try them out for sure...9 months is the standard benchmark ;-)

I know Sankampaeng Hot Spring is not a favorite place for elektrified, but I thought it's not a bad place to have a picnic and watch the people do their things.

Thanks to elektrified for that Suan Tweechol at Horizon Village recommendation. Will look up in the map and pay a visit there later on.

I thought you had to pay to get into Horizon Village?

Went there once, wasn't worth going back.

50 THB per person. I think bicycles are included in the price but not 100% sure about that.

Why didn't you like it? The gardens are the most beautiful anywhere around here and a great place for a picnic.

Edited by elektrified

Can't come up with the name but I it is a huge flower show with gardens from many nations in ted world it is close to the Night Safari. It has a bus traveling around it you can get off and enjoy the area around you and catch another one to another spot. Beautiful and peaceful. I believe every four years there is a big celebration there some thing to do with the Queen.

I hope some one here can come up with the name and a little more info on how to get to it.

This whole thread is full of helpful suggestions.

Edit

take memo to self to use spellchecker before sending

Edited by hellodolly

Can't come up with the name but I it is a huge flower show with gardens from many nations in ted world it is close to the Night Safari. It has a bus traveling around it you can get off and enjoy the area around you and catch another one to another spot. Beautiful and peaceful. I believe every four years there is a big celebration there some thing to do with the Queen.

I hope some one here can come up with the name and a little more info on how to get to it.

This whole thread is full of helpful suggestions.

Edit

take memo to self to use spellchecker before sending

the International gardens are once every 5 years. nowhere to picnic there. nice try.

The "Royal Flora" grounds has many places to picnic! I live down the street from it and see many people there on the weekends.

There has to be thousands of places to have a picnic in CM, Are you looking for a park type setting or a natural setting?

heya...both park and natural works for me....i am buying myself a dog next once im settled in ...so space to run is nice !

Not one of those poor, broken back creatures that look like a sausage I hope. They are the wurst dogs in the world.

Congratulations on your new found domestic existence.

heya...both park and natural works for me....i am buying myself a dog next once im settled in ...so space to run is nice !

Not one of those poor, broken back creatures that look like a sausage I hope. They are the wurst dogs in the world.

Congratulations on your new found domestic existence.

hhahahahah sorrie I love the dachies....stubborn as a mule ! Pugs and bulldogs come a close 2nd but a dachie....wow that's a real dog with character hahahahahah !

I agree with what AnotherOneAmerican, said. The running track and park at the south west corner of the inner moat is the easiest for a quick picnic. Children like it because it has a small playground. I don't think they allow animals though.

I agree with what AnotherOneAmerican, said. The running track and park at the south west corner of the inner moat is the easiest for a quick picnic. Children like it because it has a small playground. I don't think they allow animals though.

Yummy, soak up the diesel fumes sick.gif

• Like 1