Isaan Farmers Meeting No.9.

AA1

Hopefully , If all goes well Wee & I will be attending your meeting if only to check out these "famous pork pies " you keep writing about ,we finally got a map from a freind because we could not download it. Also .we would like the phone No. Of your local Resort so that we can book a room. Thank you AA. Helmuth.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Helmuth,

Thrilled to hear that you nearly (A)A1 again. We have missed you and Wee so will be delighted to have you both back with us again on the 22nd. I can't find the hotel tel.no. offhand as I have it somewhere unfortunately 'somewhere' can't be found so will drop by in the next day or so and put it on a post.

All the best for the 29th.

Anthony (AA1)

HR.

All the best tomorrow and Ting thrilled at the idea of seeing Wee again.

I have now been up to the hotel on the 24 and got their telephone number. It is 08-1669-8111.

OR

HR & others wanting accommodation.

If it is easier for any or all of you, I can pop up to the hotel most days and book and pay for a room for you IF you let me know your name AND whether you want a Double or Twin bedded room! You can then reimburse me when you come here.

As I said earlier, a room is 450 baht but that does not include breakfast which is an extra if you want.

Where is the hotel? (If you didn't stay in it when I held Meeting no. 2!!)

On the 24 FROM Ubon/Sisaket direction.

Go past a junction saying 'Ban Sangkha' to the right

Just over the brow of the hillock you will see a typical PTT garage on your left.

Go passed the 2 entrance/exits of the garage and the entrance to the hotel is straight after these on the left next to the PTT.

(the traffic lights marked on my map to Sangkha are about 1 kilometer further on).

On the 24 FROM Korat/Prasat direction.

Go straight over the traffic lights marked on my map to Sangkha.

Go straight for about 1 kilometer.

The hotel is on your right IMMEDIATELY before the PTT garage. If you go passed it then into the garage & out again and hotel is next door.

The hotel has two large signs outside ALL in Thai!! EXCEPT for the one word "Hotel"!!!!!!!

AS I am slightly worried about messages getting through on Thai Visa, in case you have not received my replies:-

xen.

So sorry that you will be in OZ but very much look forward to meeting you at a future one.

pwm.

Do hope that you will be able to change 'tentative' into 'definite' as would be delighted to meet another local Thai Visa member!!

Tell your wife there are already some very nice wives coming and the husbands aren't TOO bad either!

Keep your replies coming.

Anthony (AA1)

hi all i hope all farmers imbrace the idear off the meetings its a grate way to meet like minded farmers /hobby/home enthosests .icant come to this meeting but hope to meet at another rgds russell

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

privert

• Like 1

aussieruss

Thanks for your comments and agree the Meetings are a very good ways to meet like minded people and make a very enjoyable and useful break from the usual routine!! We will all miss you and I especially having found someone who can spell even worse than me!!!!! Much look forward to your return from the Land of Oz to the Land of Smiles (Well after a bottle or 2!).

3 weeks to go to Isaan Farmers Meeting No. 9.

So still plenty of time to make arrangements to come.

Lunch and bbq supper (of some sort!) plus drink provided here.

Accommodation can be arranged - no trouble.

So all you have to do is let me know in advance, Get in your car, pick-up or what have you and COME.

What could be easier.

We have a good party coming already as a number of regulars have notified their coming by telephone.

Bergen:- Let me know how many coming with you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Anthony (AA1).

aussieruss

Thanks for your comments and agree the Meetings are a very good ways to meet like minded people and make a very enjoyable and useful break from the usual routine!! We will all miss you and I especially having found someone who can spell even worse than me!!!!! Much look forward to your return from the Land of Oz to the Land of Smiles (Well after a bottle or 2!).

3 weeks to go to Isaan Farmers Meeting No. 9.

So still plenty of time to make arrangements to come.

Lunch and bbq supper (of some sort!) plus drink provided here.

So all you have to do is let me know in advance, Get in your car, pick-up or what have you and COME.

What could be easier.

We have a good party coming already as a number of regulars have notified their coming by telephone.

Bergen:- Let me know how many coming with you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Anthony (AA1).

Correction.

Just got back from stay in Bangkok yesterday and in my sleepy state said in above message:-

3 weeks until Meeting No. 9.

THIS SHOULD, OF COURSE, READ

2 WEEKS (As the Meeting is on the 22nd. June)

Still plenty of time for you to make arrangements to come and look forward to seeing you here!

Sorry about the confusion.

AA1

Shaggy and me had our first Dutch/Thai farmers' meeting last night because we can't attend the next.

Farmer meetings go internationalthumbsup.gif .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612480-farm-photos/page-38#entry6487145

[edit] , yours,

Dancealot.

Thank you for showing how successful the Farmer Meeting are! Sadly as you and Shaggy can't come to the next meeting you have your own small select one together to make up for it. Have good travels and look forward to seeing you again on your return. I liked the photos you put on Shaggy's topic and as I've said before we are going to miss one of our resident photographers!!

Shaggy.

Congrats on the phenomenal success of "Farm Photos". You have 'Gold Fingers'. Your name should be J.B.!

Hope the little one and his Mum are doing well and we look forward to meeting him and wetting his head when he is ready to join us at a Meeting.

Both of you.

in view of the picture and comments about rubber trees, I am sorry (or maybe a good thing, Shaggy!) you are going miss seeing our older rubber trees. They are between 7 & 8 years old. We started tapping most last September and this year around us we have had a dreadful drought and you would be able to see what lack of rain can do to the trees!! Last night we had superb rain and so hopefully things are not going to get any worse.

All the best and see you both fairly soon.

Anthony (AA1).

• Like 2

Thank you Antony for your kind words.

I hope that the long drought has not done too much damage to your trees and that the rain can quickly help replenish them back into full health.

Along with many other farmers,my families trees have also been hit by the long dry period.We had cassava growing in between the tree but that

was harvested a couple of weeks ago for the last time,full concentration on the trees from now on.

Mama and Junior doing wonderful thanks and we hope it won't be too long before we get the chance to meet you all.

Respect to you all and we hope you have a great Farmers Meeting

Regards

Shaggy thumbsup.gif

Shaggy and me had our first Dutch/Thai farmers' meeting last night because we can't attend the next.

Farmer meetings go international:thumbsup: .

[edit] , yours,

Dancealot.

Thank you for showing how successful the Farmer Meeting are! Sadly as you and Shaggy can't come to the next meeting you have your own small select one together to make up for it. Have good travels and look forward to seeing you again on your return. I liked the photos you put on Shaggy's topic and as I've said before we are going to miss one of our resident photographers!!

Shaggy.

Congrats on the phenomenal success of "Farm Photos". You have 'Gold Fingers'. Your name should be J.B.!

Hope the little one and his Mum are doing well and we look forward to meeting him and wetting his head when he is ready to join us at a Meeting.

Both of you.

in view of the picture and comments about rubber trees, I am sorry (or maybe a good thing, Shaggy!) you are going miss seeing our older rubber trees. They are between 7 & 8 years old. We started tapping most last September and this year around us we have had a dreadful drought and you would be able to see what lack of rain can do to the trees!! Last night we had superb rain and so hopefully things are not going to get any worse.

Anthony (AA1).

Farmer meetings go international:thumbsup: .

[edit] , yours,

Dancealot.

Shaggy.

Both of you.

Anthony (AA1).

Anthony

Just thinking about how many pork pie eaters will be attending. Any idea on numbers yet I've planned for about 18 bob

Bob.

I think at this stage I would base numbers of pie eaters on that number (18) as I am awaiting numbers from Bergen. As can be seen from Wormfarmer you needn't worry about having any over as he and I for a start will absorb any excess if there should be any!!

Shaggy.

Thanks for your kind words too and maybe we will all meet up again at the 10th. Meeting.

Best wishes,

Anthony. (AA1).

Edited by AA1
  • Like 1

Hello Anthony et al.,

This is going to come as a shock to you, but I'm going to have to give this meeting a miss despite the prospect of free beer and of course the pleasant company, as usual. I've dug in, so to speak, at my farm on the Plateau, leading the life of a hermit, and actually getting things done. See:

http://www.wrongwayhome.com/2013/06/building-the-cube-part-2-arrival-of-the-hermit/

I would, however, like to take this opportunity to make a suggestion for a meeting on the Bolaven Plateau in November or December. If there is enough interest, a new thread should perhaps be started. I certainly wouldn't suggest this if my farm was the only thing to see. I recently paid a visit to another part-time Bolaven Plateau resident, an Englishman who, on Thaivisa, goes by the name of JungleBiker. He was introduced to me quite some time ago by Michael Hare, the "seed guy" at Ubon Ratchathani University, who some of you may be familiar with as he's made some very helpful contributions to this forum. We've sort of been internet buddies since we were introduced, but we never seemed to be in the same place at the same time until just recently. JungleBiker is a horticulture-related consultant (he may want to clarify that). He paid a visit to my farm, admired my waterfall, and told me the names almost everything growing there (all of which went in one ear and out the other). He then took me on a fascinating tour of his property. Amongst other things, he's got a lab dedicated to conserving the rapidly disappearing orchids in the area. On his 7-hectare farm nearby he's experimenting with all sorts of crops, blackberries being most prominent in my memory. Anyway, it will be coffee harvest time on the Plateau, the weather should be clear, and the leeches should have returned to wherever leeches go when it dries out. JungleBiker has agreed to co-host the meeting with me. Should he have to go off consulting, as his work just kind of pops up all of a sudden, I'll be prepared to give the tour of his property myself. If that happens, perhaps we could have a question and answer session with him via the internet after the tour (an Isaan Farmers Video Conference). But with some luck and planning he should be there. He was a long-term resident of Thailand, too, in the Isaan area, so he knows heaps about farming here. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Bob,

Are you bringing any pies for sale, or just for consumption at the meeting?

If any for sale, what size are they? mini (one person size) or bigger? and how much?

I wont be selling but you can hoover up whats left. I will show you how to make them and give you whatever splce mix I have left. Its easy when you know how.

See you soon BOB

• Like 1

MrOdyssey.

So sorry that you are unable to come this time. We will all be devastated at not having your scintillating company and VERY original ideas!!

For those who do not know you, thanks for posting your blog in your note. It is well worth a read!!!!

You are forgiven, however, by suggesting that we might like a Meeting over at yours and JungleBiker at the end of the year up on the plateau (in Laos). Sounds a very exciting and interesting idea. In Dancealot's note of the 6th. June, he said " Farmer meetings go international: thumbs up: ." You are giving it a chance to genuinely happen and I for one am thrilled at the thought which sounds most interesting. I will bring it up at the Meeting and I am sure it will be very much approved so will be in touch afterwards. Thanks so much for the offer.

GrimleyBob.

Very much look forward to seeing you again on Saturday week. What sort of time do you roughly expect to come to do your cooking and what equipment will you need?

To:- Everyone who has not said they are coming yet.

You are still VERY welcome. If poss. can you let me know by the 17th. (next Monday) as I am going on a rubber farm tour down in Rayong & Chonburi from the 18th. to 20th. so will not be able to contact you or be contacted by you during those 3 days/nights.

Anthony (AA1).

• Like 1

MrOdyssey.

So sorry that you are unable to come this time. We will all be devastated at not having your scintillating company and VERY original ideas!!

For those who do not know you, thanks for posting your blog in your note. It is well worth a read!!!!

You are forgiven, however, by suggesting that we might like a Meeting over at yours and JungleBiker at the end of the year up on the plateau (in Laos). Sounds a very exciting and interesting idea. In Dancealot's note of the 6th. June, he said " Farmer meetings go international: thumbs up: ." You are giving it a chance to genuinely happen and I for one am thrilled at the thought which sounds most interesting. I will bring it up at the Meeting and I am sure it will be very much approved so will be in touch afterwards. Thanks so much for the offer.

GrimleyBob.

Very much look forward to seeing you again on Saturday week. What sort of time do you roughly expect to come to do your cooking and what equipment will you need?

To:- Everyone who has not said they are coming yet.

You are still VERY welcome. If poss. can you let me know by the 17th. (next Monday) as I am going on a rubber farm tour down in Rayong & Chonburi from the 18th. to 20th. so will not be able to contact you or be contacted by you during those 3 days/nights.

Anthony (AA1).

If all goes to plan the pies will be. Ready to pop the oven for 20_30 mins ill arrive 10.30 to 11.00 see you Soon bob

So all you have to do is let me know in advance.

Anthony (AA1).

Anthony, Just to let you know that my daughter Kim, whom you met at the last meeting, will be coming with us to your meeting, so can you please book accommodation for us: 1 Double room with en-suite and 1 Single room with en-suite.

Looking forward to seeing you and every one else on Saturday. Cheers WF.

Hi WormFarmer,

I have been over and booked/paid for a Double and a Twin room which are next to each other and are booked in your name. I have the Cash receipt here. There will be a returnable to pay for the keys but you can get that back next day.

Look forward to seeing the 3 of you.

AA1.

Hi ALL,

Although our Meeting was quite small compared to some of the others sadly due to a number understandable last minute drop outs and a number of fairly regulars being overseas we had a very happy 9 hours together - partly thanks to St. Dave's beer and partly thanks to grimleybob's pies (plus non stop talking). My sincere thanks to both of them and the others who came. It was fun.

At the same time we gave a toast to Dave and also absent friends who were all missed.

For some the 'Meeting' continued into Sunday as various wives wanted to go to Chong Jom border market so they (and their husbands!) were led there by Ting (my wife) as I was suffering from flu, which is now thank goodness improving, before returning to Sangkha for lunch at a friend's restaurant/bar and then onward to their homes.

We also discussed MrOdyssey's idea of having a Meeting later this year on the Bolavon Plateau in Laos :- see Post #42. We thought that the idea sounded very interesting but there were a number of things such as Visas, transport, etc. etc. that would need to be discussed first. I will contact MrOdyssey and suggest that we could have a separate9 'Topic' such as "Farmers Meeting in Laos? YOUR thoughts." where anyone could make their views or queries known.

I believe that we may have had the possibility of the next Meeting up near Khon Kaen. I will find out if this still holds but if not Is anyone interested in hosting a Meeting either the next or at some later date?

All the best,

AA1. (Anthony)

Thea & I would like to thank Anthony & Ting for bieng great hosts, Although short in numbers it still turned out to be a very good get togethed, also thanks must go to Bob for the pork pies and Dave for our refreshments. Sunday was a good day also but our ladies could have hurried up a little at the Chong Chom market, haha only joking girls! Sorry for the belated post ( when there is moisture in the air my internet goes on strike)

@AA1 Thanks for the reportsmile.png .

great to see the flame is still burning. ps lao would be great next april . good job Anthony regards russell

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Count me inthumbsup.gif . April I'm there. This would be great.

[edit] Farmer's meetings go international after all..smile.png .. Bolaven Plateau..

Edited by Dancealot

• 4 months later...

Hi ALL,

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on the next I.F.M.?

DaveHKT.

Thanks very much for bringing me back to earth!!

Everyone.

Having been very busy sorting out family matters worldwide which has been taking up a great deal of my time and are still ongoing as well as being cut off twice - for a week plus each time - from the rubber farm by 3 foot floods which also caused havoc with my internet connection as well, I am afraid that I have been neglecting following up the next meeting (No. 10) AND the idea of a Farmer Meeting in Lao.

As many of you already know, we are group of 'so called' farmers who meet up every few months and to which ANYONE is welcome to come. It is nice to meet in different parts of Isaan so that not only do we visit different areas of Isaan, but also see different farming ventures and have a good chat with like minded country folk, seeing and learning more about what they do AND have a chance to get possible advise over any problems we may have. All this being helped down by a bit of lunch and a BBQ plus a pint or 2 or ------!

It is all very informal as we do NOT have any committee or anything like that and try to meet every 3 months or so. We rely of the kindness of people to offer their home/farm as a venue for the day so that we can meet up, learn from each other, make new friends and see old ones, and generally enjoy each others company. I held the last one which is why I am looking for a new host as none of those present were able host the next one as they were either going to be out of the country over this period or for other genuine reasons.

We now need someone to offer to be the host for a Meeting (No. 10). Could you offer? If you want to know what it might involve, please get in touch with me and I can advise.

re. The possibility of having a Farmers Meeting in Laos.

As you may or may not know, 'MrOdyssy' has offered to hold a Farmers Meeting at his 'developing' venture into coffee, etc. etc. on the Bolaven Plateau in Laos. It would be fascinating to be able to do this but, because of the delay, the possible date would need to be revise as quite a bit of preparatory planning would need to be done. He has been over in the USA looking into aquaponics and am not sure whether he is back yet but if there was enough interest it would certainly be very entertaining. Here is a suitable place to start on his website at it tells you a little bit about his venture and has some picture of what the area is like.

http://www.wrongwayhome.com/my-site/ . Let us have an idea of your possible interest then, if it is considered viable, we would definitely need a Meeting when we can spend a little time deciding how we organise it!!

I have searched through for the Thread about "Farmers Meeting in Laos" so have brought it up to the top to help you find it!!

Let's hear from you about a Meeting or any other suggestion on the subject.

All the Best,

AA1