Good Cheap Mp3 Player Wanted - Advice Please

JustAnotherFarang

Hi All

I am looking to buy an MP3 player and have seen the MPIO HD200 5 gigabyte mp3 player with voice recorder, fm radio and can be used as an external hard disk for just 8,500 bht.

The reviews I have read online suggest the unit itself is very good but the navigational buttons are a little illogical but I figure I can figure that out.

Does anyone have one of these players and what other devices are available at a similiar price in Thailand

Thanks as always for your advice

JAF

Stay away from the cheap no-name Taiwanese brands that populate Pantip and the like. They always crash playing Mp3's with weird bit rates and ID3V2 tags as I've learnt.

I'm looking for something flash based around the 1GB mark like this

Sandisk model. It's $120US in the US, about double the price here.

Love to hear from anyone else a recommendation too.

Stay away from the cheap no-name Taiwanese brands that populate Pantip and the like. They always crash playing Mp3's with weird bit rates and ID3V2 tags as I've learnt.

There are lots of 1gb flash drives available, approx 5000 to 8000 bht plus.

check here for list of shops selling them in Thailand

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54515

hope it helps, but I prefer a small hard disk model for ease of use

JAF

I'm selling a Creative Labs Zen Micro 5GB MP3 player with all those features. As new, still with box and all. Was 13,000 in Tukcom less than a year ago. Selling for 6,500. Nothing wrong with it, in fact it was hardly used, hence selling it rather than let it collect dust. I'm in Pattaya.

Details from the box:

Holds up to 2,500 songs on 5GB hard drive :: up to 12 hour battery life :: FM radio :: Voice recording :: Vertical touch pad :: Micro sized (3.3” tall, 2” wide, 0.7” deep) :: USB 2.0 :: Address book, Calendar and To Do List :: Wired Remote

Original package including white earphones :: Removable rechargeable Li-Ion battery :: Power adaptor :: USB 2.0 cable :: Belt-clip & stand :: Pouch :: Installation CD :: Neck strap.

post-1539-1143047257_thumb.jpg

I'm selling a Creative Labs Zen Micro 5GB MP3 player with all those features. As new, still with box and all. Was 13,000 in Tukcom less than a year ago. Selling for 6,500. Nothing wrong with it, in fact it was hardly used, hence selling it rather than let it collect dust. I'm in Pattaya.

Details from the box:

Holds up to 2,500 songs on 5GB hard drive :: up to 12 hour battery life :: FM radio :: Voice recording :: Vertical touch pad :: Micro sized (3.3” tall, 2” wide, 0.7” deep) :: USB 2.0 :: Address book, Calendar and To Do List :: Wired Remote

Original package including white earphones :: Removable rechargeable Li-Ion battery :: Power adaptor :: USB 2.0 cable :: Belt-clip & stand :: Pouch :: Installation CD :: Neck strap.

post-1539-1143047257_thumb.jpg

Was briefly tempted by its looks but after looking at customer opinions of this product I would have to advise to give this product a wide berth, there are umpteen problems with the hardware upgrade, with the system locking up, poor connecting headphones and worst still, a very poor returns service from Creative..........looks like you bought a dud one which is exactly what I am trying not to do

Thanks, but no thanks

JAF

I have a Creative MuVo (1 GB) I like a lot. No special software needed, you can just drag and drop files to it. It's been very reliable and worked fine after being dropped onto a tile floor. Sold in many shops in Thailand.

See it here (browse the Creative site for similar products):

http://www.creative.com/products/product.a...15&product=9771

I am looking at the sandisk as well. pretty decent reviews only thing most people complain about is the use of AAA batteries, which is, frankly, what attracts me. When I fly home to visit the parents my trip lasts a minimum of 20 hours (usually around 24 with layovers) and an mp3 player that has to be recharged either through a computer or a wall socket just isn't going to cut it. Sure, it will use up batteries but I plan on going with the long life rechargeable kinds and only use regular ones for the trip.

One major drawback to alot of these MP3 players, I think, is the unremovable battery. So, once the battery dies you have to buy a new one.

Anyway, I am off home end of next month and will be checking it out, I'll give a review then!

One major drawback to alot of these MP3 players, I think, is the unremovable battery. So, once the battery dies you have to buy a new one.

Anyway, I am off home end of next month and will be checking it out, I'll give a review then!

Can another battery be fitted into the player when it dies, can I not send it back to the manufacturers and obtain a new battery............wow, that really is built in obsolescence

Is it the ame with all MP3 players, ipod et al

JAF

No, but alot of them. The Ipod is removeable but apparently you have to send the entire Ipod back to apple to get the battery replaced and you may not get the same one back!

I've been doing alot of researching and in the specs it should say removable battery --if not then the battery is fixed and alot of times cannot be replaced at all. Seems a rip off to me.

Was briefly tempted by its looks but after looking at customer opinions of this product I would have to advise to give this product a wide berth, there are umpteen problems with the hardware upgrade, with the system locking up, poor connecting headphones and worst still, a very poor returns service from Creative..........looks like you bought a dud one which is exactly what I am trying not to do

Thanks, but no thanks

JAF

You're of course free to have your opionion but there is NOTHING wrong with this mp3 player. Never had a "system lockup" (whatever it's supposed to be), don't know what hardware there is to upgrade, it is not a PC, it's a gadget, it is what it is, no upgrade needed, no particular problems with the headphones connections.

I'd admit the return service sucks, but that goes for everything in Thailand.

The battery is user exchangable, just like a GSM battery.

Oh, and for why I'm selling it ... shame on me but I'm realizing I've reached the age where I can easily live without having music pumped into my ears 24/7. Just don't use it, that's all.

Edited by madsere

No, but alot of them. The Ipod is removeable but apparently you have to send the entire Ipod back to apple to get the battery replaced and you may not get the same one back!

I've been doing alot of researching and in the specs it should say removable battery --if not then the battery is fixed and alot of times cannot be replaced at all. Seems a rip off to me.

SBK - don't need to send back ipod back to replace batteries - there are self kits available and quite easy to do.

[quote name='JustAnotherFarang' post='688486' date='2006-03-23 01:56:55'

there is NOTHING wrong with this mp3 player.

I'd admit the return service sucks, but that goes for everything in Thailand.

So nothing wrong, but you have had occasion to send it back ?? Or are you generalising about service in Thailand generally

As for my opinion, it was only garnered from other users of the "gadget" Maybe you have a later version

But still, at 6,500 bht "meur song" its not for me. How about 5000 bht straight ?

JAF

I'm not sure what you keep aiming at. USA is afaik the only place in the world you can take your gadgets back to the shop for a refund. In the rest of the world you bought it and it's yours. At best you might change it to something else but it doesn't work like that here.

It has never had a problem so never had any reason to send it back.

If you have lived in Thailand for more than a week you'll know that the general "guarantee procedure" here is if there is any problem they'll take your gadget and send it to Bangkok for fixing. If you're lucky you'll have it back in a month, if not it will take longer. TIT, regardless of brand.

I can go to 6k but then you gotta pick it up here (Pattaya) yourself. PM for details if you're interested.

If you have lived in Thailand for more than a week you'll know that the general "guarantee procedure" here is if there is any problem they'll take your gadget and send it to Bangkok for fixing. If you're lucky you'll have it back in a month, if not it will take longer. TIT, regardless of brand.

Ain't it the truth. Sigh.

• 1 month later...

OK, update on the sandisk player.

I just bought one here in the US, flash based drive 4gb, powered by AAA battery. I got it for $150.

It is small, but not too small (lost in the purse!), seems pretty good so far. Controls are pretty intuitive, comes with a tiny manual but more info is on the provided cd. Has an FM radio and voice recording as well.

So far, I am pleased with it.