Online Flak Over Small School Closures In Thailand

webfact

LIKE IT, SHARE IT
Online flak over school closures

Kornchanok Raksaseri

BANGKOK: -- The criticism started almost as soon as Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana announced the government's policy to close small schools and merge them with bigger ones on Wednesday.

A lot of Facebook users shared the following message: "No need to close tens of thousand schools to save the budget. Dissolving your party would save a lot more."

A picture from an unknown source was also widely shared, with the message: "There is Bt2-trillion in loans to build high-speed trains, but no money to build education!!"

Jirayu Ekkul launched a petition at www.change.org/smallschool to oppose the school closures, with the message: "Please give us space for education in communities. I love my school."

The petition had won 2,000 signatures by press time.

The Tee Nee Prakonchai Page clearly stated its opposition to school closures. "Don't deprive children from [small] communities. Tee Nee Prakonchai Page disagrees with the policy to close schools. 'Phongthep' ordered the closure of 14,816 small schools nationwide. (These are pictures of Prakonchai Pittayakom Sai 2. Now it is Muang Talung School.)"

The Kru Tah Fanpage said the policy was doing permanent damage to the country. It featured a picture of school students with one girl performing a wai with a message that reads, "Please don't close my school."

Utain Shartpinyo posted, "The government must know that education is the root of prosperity and success. We have lost ground and moved backwards for a long time. I agree that some schools deserve to be closed. But the criteria should not be the number of students; there must be better reasons."

Further discussions could be seen on Twitter. @epinephrinerx, said they came from a family of teachers, said that such closure of schools did not begin with this government. He said he partially agreed with closures as some schools lack quality and funding them would be a waste. However, he said, the closures should be considered on a case-by-case basis. "If the community accepts it, go ahead. But if not, we need to offer quality education in communities. Moreover, the community must take responsibility for their children's education," he wrote.

@23041988 said: "A) You close the schools, but have you planned how difficult it would be for the children to go to school? cool.png We already waived the tax for first cars."

@8527739: "This is for better education. We don't close schools and use the land for something else."

@iPhonnn: "People in the city don't see how children go to schools in rural areas."

@thetigernutch: "This is a picture of Banyod School in Nan. There are eight students and one teacher. Children here know about community forests a lot better than many adults? pic.twitter.com/3XqoDBioMbView"

A tweet from @Pookem has been re-tweeted almost 1,400 times. Part of it reads: "We have a budget for the first-car scheme … We have a budget for the first-house Scheme… We set Bt7.75 million compensation for red shirts … We don't have a budget for schools."

Phongthep has said that closures would only apply to schools that are of poor standard and near other, better schools, while the ministry will provide transportation for the students. It seems that he still has a lot more explaining to do.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-11

I am a teacher and live in Isaan. School rolls in my province, and I assume others too, are falling. How low do student numbers need to be before it is uneconomic and impractical to continue ? What this article and the original Ministry announcement failed to mention is that there is already a policy of closing schools if the school roll persists in falling. My school director where I taught in Khon Kaen province was involved in helping with such closures.

I come from the UK where such closures also happen. I used to live in a small village in Cheshire where there was a good but small school but over the years pupil numbers diminished to a point where despite dedicated teachers a decision was taken to close it down. Thereafter any pupils from the village were picked up by minibus and taken to a another far larger village about 5 miles away.

No one wants to see their own school close. I had a conversation on this topic about three months ago because students number in my own, current, school have been dropping for more than ten years. The evidence for this is easy to find on the status display boards so many schools have on office walls. For the last three years I have been part of a team that tours round nearby schools to attract more M1 and M4 students to my school at the start of each new academic year. We put a lot of thought and effort into the tours because we needs the students; apart from anything else more students means more money for the school and with a bigger budget we can do so much more. But, as I said, school rolls are dropping everywhere and students have choices about which school to attend and the competition for new admissions is getting more intense.

• Like 2

god when are these people going to wake up to what is happening,please someone tell them,they cant all be peasents working in fields,(not that it isnt a noble job to help feed your people),,,,,i cant believe how they get away with such cruel actions,,,,

• Like 2

I don’t know about giving more funds to the educational budget to keep these schools open, Thailand has one of the biggest educational budgets in Asia now.

Maybe a better educational system would be the way forward!

I have a feeling this revolt maybe due to teachers losing well-paid jobs for life& cheap loans, more than concerns of students.

• Like 2

I am a teacher and live in Isaan. School rolls in my province, and I assume others too, are falling. How low do student numbers need to be before it is uneconomic and impractical to continue ? What this article and the original Ministry announcement failed to mention is that there is already a policy of closing schools if the school roll persists in falling. My school director where I taught in Khon Kaen province was involved in helping with such closures.

I come from the UK where such closures also happen. I used to live in a small village in Cheshire where there was a good but small school but over the years pupil numbers diminished to a point where despite dedicated teachers a decision was taken to close it down. Thereafter any pupils from the village were picked up by minibus and taken to a another far larger village about 5 miles away.

No one wants to see their own school close. I had a conversation on this topic about three months ago because students number in my own, current, school have been dropping for more than ten years. The evidence for this is easy to find on the status display boards so many schools have on office walls. For the last three years I have been part of a team that tours round nearby schools to attract more M1 and M4 students to my school at the start of each new academic year. We put a lot of thought and effort into the tours because we needs the students; apart from anything else more students means more money for the school and with a bigger budget we can do so much more. But, as I said, school rolls are dropping everywhere and students have choices about which school to attend and the competition for new admissions is getting more intense.

What is the reason for school numbers falling in Isaan? People moving away, low birth rate or children going to private schools.

What is the reason for school numbers falling in Isaan? People moving away, low birth rate or children going to private schools.

The economy is becoming less and less dependant on agriculture and the farming families are moving to industrial areas on the East coast of Thailand.

The auto business is booming with new factories being built by Ford, Honda and Mercedes Benz to name a few.

Not only are the autos assembled in Thailand but the parts and raw materials are crafted here adding to more secondary smaller factories surrounding the large car manufactures.

I think you will find that most rural parents want to send their children to big town or city schools under the impression (and I do say under the impression) they will get a better education.

Plus the usual I have a bigger one than you idea.

We had students traveling 35 Km to get to school, costs paid by themselves.

After he finishes the closing of .14,000 schools, he could organise a good old-fashioned book burning, I'm sure the red shirt arsonists on bail would be glad to help.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

On a serious note , I am more concerned with the extra distance a student needs to travel to a new school and what's the trade off for going to another school, ie an extra three hrs travel per day.

Many people here seem fixated by the length of time and the distance children will have to travel. What you people need to understand is that Thai families simply do not care about that sort of thing. As soon as the child stops being 'cute' and a 'plaything' or a 'toy' (or pliable), no one could care less about the length of time, or distance they have to travel.

In very much the same way as when a puppy or kitten is 'cute' and 'playful', when it gets a little older it is left pretty much to its own devices.

Have you not noticed that as soon as a child reaches this lack of 'cuteness', as young as 7 or 8, no one stands up for it on public transport? And, more criminally, they are often, in poorer families, expected to work?

Open your eyes.

Edited by Johnnie99
  • Like 1

Many people here seem fixated by the length of time and the distance children will have to travel. What you people need to understand is that Thai families simply do not care about that sort of thing. As soon as the child stops being 'cute' and a 'plaything' or a 'toy' (or pliable), no one could care less about the length of time, or distance they have to travel.

In very much the same way as when a puppy or kitten is 'cute' and 'playful', when it gets a little older it is left pretty much to its own devices.

Have you not noticed that as soon as a child reaches this lack of 'cuteness', as young as 7 or 8, no one stands up for it on public transport? And, more criminally, they are often, in poorer families, expected to work?

Open your eyes.

Well, that cheered me up no end. sad.png

• Like 1

So basically it is a competition between schools for a bigger slice of the pie. You take a student away from one school you get money to supposedly do your job better. The reality is you get bigger classes which is not from every thing I have heard a good idea.

The school that looses the student gets less money to do their job properly but they do get a smaller class which is an advantage.

It is a lose lose situation. The only answer is to put more money into the system monitor where it goes and get rid of inept teachers.

Edit

I in no way meant to imply that the teachers are doing a proper job. Perhaps in the private schools where if you don't learn you don't pass they are. But with the show up pay no attention and you will pass system I do not in any way shape or form consider that doing a proper job.

What it does is reinforce the look good no matter how wrong you are system in Thailand.

Edited by hellodolly

I think the online people are on the money , dissolve your party and you would save a lot more , what a great slogan, bomb bard the ministry with this slogan and the office of PM , all of a sudden the country people are waking up that this mob of spiffs are not looking after their interests, of course the PTP are looking after their interests 2.2Tn worth.bah.gif

Does anyone even care about traffic problems. if they move everyone to bigger school then they have to transport them to schools and they make it even more impossible to drive in the city. The rather spend all the money they barrow on big projects so the tea money keep coming instead of caring about people

Well generally people get what they deserve. these are the ones who put Mr. T clans in charge now is the payback

If schools aren't viable as stand alone, then why not combine them? You have to move with the times and Thailand the same as the world is getting smaller. A lot of these schools were established decades ago when kids rode bicycles or walked to school now 10 yr old kids in rural areas are riding motorcycles. The parents for younger kids have greater mobility also.

My wife was telling me she had to walk 1 km to primary school in either direction and it was a long way from her village. Her school and another in the opposite direction and about the same distance are still open. When you have 2 such schools so close when mobilty of people has increased 10 fold why not close one of these reducing the burden on the taxpayer?

Personally I think it makes very good sense. Either keep them all open or increase taxes and school fees.

• Like 1

Open your eyes.

Yeah I know, my son did all three school levels, still can't talk English properly and wouldn't have a clue where philadelphia is, but that doesn't stop me thinking that the education dept live in the 19th century and how many days a fortnight do they go to school.

I gave a management presentation on demographics in Australia many years ago (I work in an agricultural industry) and you are dead right.. the reasons are the same...and haven't changed much in the interim.

This same thing was done years ago in the US, but they did it what I would say is the right way. Here the are closing schools in one subdistrict and sending tthe student to another sub district. This is really stupid becaues in this subdistrict they have a school that goes all the way to the 9th grade. It would seem more INTELIGENT for an EDUCATION SYSTEM to rethink what they are doing.

So basically it is a competition between schools for a bigger slice of the pie. You take a student away from one school you get money to supposedly do your job better. The reality is you get bigger classes which is not from every thing I have heard a good idea.

The school that looses the student gets less money to do their job properly but they do get a smaller class which is an advantage.

It is a lose lose situation. The only answer is to put more money into the system monitor where it goes and get rid of inept teachers.

Edit

I in no way meant to imply that the teachers are doing a proper job. Perhaps in the private schools where if you don't learn you don't pass they are. But with the show up pay no attention and you will pass system I do not in any way shape or form consider that doing a proper job.

What it does is reinforce the look good no matter how wrong you are system in Thailand.

You have it a bit wrong it's generally at the private schools were its pay and pass (they are a business) . Many government schools actually make sure the students learn. At least in my experience :)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

Open your eyes.

Yeah I know, my son did all three school levels, still can't talk English properly and wouldn't have a clue where philadelphia is, but that doesn't stop me thinking that the education dept live in the 19th century and how many days a fortnight do they go to school.

I guess you are not an english speaker yourself. I do have problems with my son in that he speaks in the 3rd person, ie: Justin will do this and I have to correct him and say "I" (example) He does talk speak english, just that 3rd person thai thing that they teach them I have to try and get out of his brain..

Good for the people for trying to take a stand

It is about time they realized that the PTP does not care about them

Hopefully when the next election rolls around the people remember the way they are treated

PTP only care about how many zeroes they add to their bank accounts

• Like 1

Good for the people for trying to take a stand

It is about time they realized that the PTP does not care about them

Hopefully when the next election rolls around the people remember the way they are treated

PTP only care about how many zeroes they add to their bank accounts

oh please put away your red/yellow thinking.

• Like 1

As much as I dislike this government I have to give them points for this action. There are many schools in northern Thailand that have 1-3 students.

No government in the world in their right mind would leave such schools open.

• Like 2

What a sorry state of affairs !! I can see 2 sides to this sad disclosure,

First to say that hundreds of schools are barely managing to stay afloat, one example, A school near me has 30 students, and 1 teacher so look what she has to do, alone has to take different classes, it's impossible, she also cooks the lunch for them-sort of one man band-now who in the world should have to do this.

Not only do the kids suffer from getting better education, is it fair to the teacher-she is brilliant in what she does but is limited to how much she can teach them.

closing the school seems to be the only option. But the big problem is re-location to other state schools, this may vary from 2 kilometers-to 10.

This has been going on in this way for years, so if this is going to happen soon great care is needed find a happy medium, I am afraid the trend with this government is to do it and find later they have to re think about how they did it.

First to say that hundreds of schools are barely managing to stay afloat, one example, A school near me has 30 students, and 1 teacher so look what she has to do, alone has to take different classes, it's impossible, she also cooks the lunch for them-sort of one man band-now who in the world should have to do this.

Not only do the kids suffer from getting better education, is it fair to the teacher-she is brilliant in what she does but is limited to how much she can teach them.

closing the school seems to be the only option. But the big problem is re-location to other state schools, this may vary from 2 kilometers-to 10.

This has been going on in this way for years, so if this is going to happen soon great care is needed find a happy medium, I am afraid the trend with this government is to do it and find later they have to re think about how they did it.

They could always put another teacher in and raise the standard of education far above the rest of Thailand.

On the other hand I don't see 2 to 10 kilometers in a bus to be a problem. I went to a Catholic school for 8 years and by the time I was dropped off at night we had traveled 20 miles. Of course in the morning we only had to travel about 3 miles.

My problem with combining little schools is if they are combining two different schools with students from two Village's and their is animosity between the villages.

I have a friend who married a girl from a village in Issan. The whole village took part in it and the next village over was invited to the celebrations. My friend also hired 4 policemen to keep order between the two villages and sure enough towards the end of the festivities the police men were needed to break up fights between some members of each village.sad.png

They could always put another teacher in and raise the standard of education far above the rest of Thailand.

On the other hand I don't see 2 to 10 kilometers in a bus to be a problem. I went to a Catholic school for 8 years and by the time I was dropped off at night we had traveled 20 miles. Of course in the morning we only had to travel about 3 miles.

My problem with combining little schools is if they are combining two different schools with students from two Village's and their is animosity between the villages.

I have a friend who married a girl from a village in Issan. The whole village took part in it and the next village over was invited to the celebrations. My friend also hired 4 policemen to keep order between the two villages and sure enough towards the end of the festivities the police men were needed to break up fights between some members of each village.sad.png

HD, the only problem by adding another teacher is by next year the class would be down another 5 students as the small schools are getting smaller and so on into the year after.

Village rivalry is rife, because of the main fact that there is NO police house in each village, so no village supervision-as most parents have no idea HOW to supervise their kids---free style is best they think-Ha Ha.

Iagree the mileage is no object as long as the local admin parts with some corruption money, to fund transport.

The exodus from isaan villages to Bangkok and eastern seaboard has been going on for 30 years.

The average age in most rural villages has been growing for 30 years. In 50 years the villages will be decimated.