Mini Bigc On Khao Talo......

pattayadingo

Having ridden towards the top of Khao Talo this morning, I notice they are building a Mini Big C shop. It appears like it will be open before too much longer.

Looks like a version of the small Tesco / 7/11's.

Never seen or heard of one of these before. Is it a new venture by BigC or do they have them elsewhere?

There is also a Mini Big C on Khao Noi. It's been open a few months, I think. A bit up from Paradise Bar on the opposite side of the road.

Not been in so cannot offer a comparison to the small Tesco's.

Up here in BKK they have been here for at least a year, My missus works at the company that builds and fits them (also Tesco Express) dealing with the quotes. They are very similar as 7/11 & Tesco, only they offer the Big C brands etc.

For the last 3-4 years Mini C's, Tesco Express, Tops's popped up along the major Soi's on the "Dark Side" of Pattaya.

Amazingly enough, in some cases there are Tops's and Tesco's brotherly next to or opposite each other.

Urban planning at its best.

For the last 3-4 years Mini C's, Tesco Express, Tops's popped up along the major Soi's on the "Dark Side" of Pattaya.

Amazingly enough, in some cases there are Tops's and Tesco's brotherly next to or opposite each other.

Yep, they're going to head to head with 7Elevens and Family Mart in a big way.. and you're lucky if you have one close by because of the far superior selection compared to 7Elevens including fresh fruit, veges and meat. One street off Pattaya Tai has 7Elevens on opposite corners of the same intersection with a mini-Tesco right next door. Talk about aggressive competition.

I've found some very good deals in the mini-Tops stores.

• Like 1

Yep, they're going to head to head with 7Elevens and Family Mart in a big way.. and you're lucky if you have one close by because of the far superior selection compared to 7Elevens including fresh fruit, veges and meat. One street off Pattaya Tai has 7Elevens on opposite corners of the same intersection with a mini-Tesco right next door. Talk about aggressive competition.

you must be kidding...buy fresh produce and meat at a Mini C or Lotus Express...how disgusting!

you must be kidding...buy fresh produce and meat at a Mini C or Lotus Express...how disgusting!

Allow me me to clear up the confusion. They have fresh fruit and veges and frozen meat. There's no fresh meat.

I haven't yet tried the frozen meat, but there's nothing wrong with the fruit or veges. If something is not fresh I don't buy it. Most people with half a brain know when fruit and veges are ok and when they're not.

(You really should quit stalking me - did you get tired of the gym thread?)

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

They are everywhere now, and the good point is that Mibi BigC, Tops Daily and Lotus Express sell products exactly at the same price as in the big stores. War with 7/11 has started, but not sure that the Jap lose it this time :-)

Where shall I buy fresh produce and meat? If not there, in a Small Lotus or a Mini Lotus Express?

In the middle of now where, in a small Amphoe in Udon Thani province? Are you kidding? emo12.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Where shall I buy fresh produce and meat? If not there, in a Small Lotus or a Mini Lotus Express?

In the middle of now where, in a small Amphoe in Udon Thani province? Are you kidding? emo12.gif

Life is getting easier by the day in Pattaya. Now we have 24 stores all over Pattaya selling fresh produce. Until these stores started opening all around town I had no options other than Foodland and Food Mart late at night.

I actually wanted to start a thread about this 2 weeks ago, when I drove up Khao Talo starting from the railway road and then down Kaow Noi until the railway road.

I must have counted at least 30 Tesco's, tops, 7/11, mini big c's, freshmart and family marts on that stretch.That is along with at least 4 bigger market places and a few smaller ones, about 35 mom and pop shops and 100 Meals on Wheels. and raodside foodstalls.

Keep in mind that the whole traject is 10 Km. So that accounts for one selling point every 50 meters or less, don't tell me that all can be profitable.

I actually wanted to start a thread about this 2 weeks ago, when I drove up Khao Talo starting from the railway road and then down Kaow Noi until the railway road.

I must have counted at least 30 Tesco's, tops, 7/11, mini big c's, freshmart and family marts on that stretch.That is along with at least 4 bigger market places and a few smaller ones, about 35 mom and pop shops and 100 Meals on Wheels. and raodside foodstalls.

Keep in mind that the whole traject is 10 Km. So that accounts for one selling point every 50 meters or less, don't tell me that all can be profitable.

It does seem crazy to have so many available, yet the ones I go into always seem to have customers. There are a lot of housing estates up and around Khao Talo, maybe that is where the customer base comes from.

This is a pattaya thread so I have no idea...maybe ask in the issan sub-forum.

No, they are not all profitable, but even though they change hands dozens of times, we do not see the change, so we think its the same owner, and wonder how they survive. Yes, they have lots of customers, but how much do the customers buy? One beer and a sandwich does not make a lot of profit. Same with the bars, we dont see the ownership changing, just see the bar, and wonder how it survives. Also lots of bars being sold, so we can either think its not doing good business, or lots of customers want a bar that is making money. The truth is, they are not making money, and once the charm of owning a bar wears off, and the owner realizes its not making money, it goes up for sale. Then another chump comes along, with great ideas, and buys it. Never ending circle.

This is a pattaya thread so I have no idea...maybe ask in the issan sub-forum.

OMG - I believe you are one of the, special "Smug Wise guy's"

I was not aware in which section I am in Thai Visa, as I came to that thread threw my e-mail alert from Thai Visa, without details

and did not read the

"overhead" small print.

You write, without any "differentiation"

==="buy fresh produce and meat at a Mini C or Lotus Express...how disgusting!"===

And Lotus Express are everywhere! So there products are everywhere "disgusting". as it is your opinion.

So I eat something disgusting!? sick.gif ?

Such an "Unreasonable" opinion blink.png and posting needs a reply!tongue.png

Thailand is not only Pattaya and Bangkok! whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Life is getting easier by the day in Pattaya. Now we have 24 stores all over Pattaya selling fresh produce. Until these stores started opening all around town I had no options other than Foodland and Food Mart late at night.

I have no choice, the market in a small Village or Amphoe, the butcher, the passing by open car sales - all come with flies for free! - or a Lotus.

Even the smallest in the Amphoes have fresh meat, neatly packed.

• Like 1

I have no choice, the market in a small Village or Amphoe, the butcher, the passing by open car sales - all come with flies for free! - or a Lotus.

Even the smallest in the Amphoes have fresh meat, neatly packed.

You're right there, however Tesco would also not my choice unless nothing better is available, I would never dream about buying meat from an open market in Thailand.

Tesco would also not my choice unless nothing better is available, I would never dream about buying meat from an open market in Thailand.

Difficult,

to have more possibilities would have to drive 85 km to Udon Thani city, with a Tops Market in Central, Villa Market also somewhere and as I just saw, a Fresh Meat? Or frozen meat Outlet-shop I never saw before. Passed by with car to fast, did not recognize what that shop is. whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO