Ko Chang (Trat) Freediving Spots From Shore - Fishing/lobstering

utalkin2me

Hello all,

I am a decently experienced free-diver, and I have been certified in scuba. I am going to be taking a trip to Ko Chang after the rainy season for about 5 days. Major activities will be relaxing and freediving. I am set on going to Ko Chang by the way for reasons other than the freediving, so other suggested freediving areas are of no interest. I plan on having free reign on the island via a car rental. I know my trip isn't for a while, but wanted to get a head start with the info....

I was wondering what are some good general locations to pull up and free dive from the island itself. Like most people I'm sure I prefer rocks and reefy areas. I am not really interested in diving at this time.

A couple more questions..... what is the deal with spearfishing on the island? Again, I am fairly experienced with spearfishing itself, but getting wet in Thailand is going to be a whole new experience. Is there a license involved (doubt it?). Also, I saw on google earth that much of the areas in the south appear to be protected. I just wanted to get any input on this so I don't offend anybody, or get myself in heaps of trouble.

Also, is lobstering by hand permitted? If so, regulations, seasons?.. permits (same questions as above)?

Thanks for any help, I am very much looking forward to it, been working way too hard in BKK, and with so many beautiful spots around it has been killing me.

Edited by utalkin2me

No permit required for spearfishing. But not much fish around and probably no lobstess. Overfishing and hoards of noisy scuba divers with thier boats have scared all the fish away. But plenty of good snorkelling spots where you can free dive.

• Like 1