Helmet Police After Dusk

Celcius

I've never seen the police helmet check points after 3.30pm in the 4+ years I've been here.

I policeman pulled me over at around 8pm the other night though at the Canal Road/Huey Kaew intersection for not wearing a helmet (Stupid, I know). We had a long chat in Thai about him wanting to learn English, English Soccer teams and nightlife in Chiang Mai which concluded him in asking for a 200 baht fine so he can go for a drink that night blink.png . I just paid him so I could get off to meet my friends, guess his tactic was to bore you into paying a back hander fine

First time that's ever happened!

I've never seen the police helmet check points after 3.30pm in the 4+ years I've been here.

I policeman pulled me over at around 8pm the other night though at the Canal Road/Huey Kaew intersection for not wearing a helmet (Stupid, I know). We had a long chat in Thai about him wanting to learn English, English Soccer teams and nightlife in Chiang Mai which concluded him in asking for a 200 baht fine so he can go for a drink that night blink.png . I just paid him so I could get off to meet my friends, guess his tactic was to bore you into paying a back hander fine

First time that's ever happened!

To you

• Like 1

As irritating as it is, I prefer just paying them on the spot and going about my business. Having to pay at the police station is a pain in the bum and can be time consuming.

That said, people should be free to make the choice of wearing a helmet or not. Sure, it is stupid not to wear one, but humans do stupid things all the time. That is what choice and personal responsibility is all about. It's not like the government actually cares about the people. If they did, they would start at the ground floor of their education system and work their way up.

As irritating as it is, I prefer just paying them on the spot and going about my business. Having to pay at the police station is a pain in the bum and can be time consuming.

That said, people should be free to make the choice of wearing a helmet or not. Sure, it is stupid not to wear one, but humans do stupid things all the time. That is what choice and personal responsibility is all about. It's not like the government actually cares about the people. If they did, they would start at the ground floor of their education system and work their way up.

You remind me Of home in British Columbia. I think it was around 1980 when they came in with the compulsory helmet law.

The arguments went on and on about it. One fellow even claimed more people died with a helmet on. It didn't take long a few years perhaps with strict supervision of the law and you no longer see people riding with out helmets, Today it is as important for them to buy one as it is to buy gas.

In Montana it is not mandatory. I was going to visit my brother one year in Billings Montana on the Eastern side of Montana I noticed large groups of bikes heading west most of them had helmets on. I asked my brother if he knew where they were coming from, He said they were on their way home from Sturgis North Dakota where bikers from all over the states come once a year. It is a huge affair attended by thousands.

There were not that many with out helmets and of the ones who didn't live in Montana I bet when they hit the state line they put one on.

I agree with freedom of choice, but:

If you survive a crash while not wearing a helmet or seat belt, my premiums go up, but insurances pay out the most during deaths.

Therefore another's action does affect me.

Also dying may mean living a wife/kids behind where in many society's there would be monthly restitution etc that comes from tax payers.

most people have a helmet in the front basket or nearby if they see the police.sometimes they get caught pay the tea money.this issue will never end people will always not wear a helmet at night.police are no different when off duty or going home they have no helmet on either

I often notice the thai trick of stopping before the check point and pushing the bike past or if the passenger is the only one without a helmet she gets off and walks to the other side of the check,

its easy to see when there is a check point...you will maybe see 50 or so motosyce at the gas station waiting till the police have gone...as many seem to have helmets i guess quite a few dont have a licence.

Edited by tingtongfarang

This is great!!! You are paying a "tax" and helping Thailand prosper. You should feel good about not getting a 7,000 baht fine in a western country. I used to hear one lady complain about a 200 baht ticket. This is one cup at Starbucks. Next time, give them your bike, all your money, and return to the homeland to collect more. You are not used to their culture, so it's ok. However, how dare you pollute the air with your gasoline machines!!! you are killing the environment, and adding to lung problems for millions of thais!!! you are doing more harm than good!!!! haha...

ok, coffee done. :)

I don't wear one if I don't have to.People that do wear them get a false sense of security.They think they won't get brain injury.I wear jacket,gloves,boots long pants.What gets me is the people that wear the helmet wear shorts,short sleeve shirt,no jacket,sandels etc.They get into asphalt A few times they'll reconsider.

Simple solution; keep within the law and always wear a helmet when on a motorbike, whether you`re the pilot or just a passenger.

Consider the safety aspects involved, anyone who risks not wearing a helmet is a fool.

post-110219-0-12661500-1368385489_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Had a mate die this morning,yesterday now, on a bike. He often wore a helmet and on this occasion he did but it didn't matter being run over by a 10 wheeler truck.

Going to stick to my podium and say I have seen a few brains splattered on the road it is risk management. Your head and your life. Take your choices.

Take care and be aware.

I don't wear one if I don't have to.People that do wear them get a false sense of security.They think they won't get brain injury.I wear jacket,gloves,boots long pants.What gets me is the people that wear the helmet wear shorts,short sleeve shirt,no jacket,sandels etc.They get into asphalt A few times they'll reconsider.

And all that clothing dosen't give you a false sense of security. If you dump your bike your ears or nose will not get ripped off because you have all that clothing on.

You may and probably are a good bike rider but that dosen't mean every one around you is. I witnessed a Bike accident yesterday the guy who got hit didn't have a chance. There was no way in the world he could have seen the guy who hit him coming. Fortunately neither biker was going that fast so it would appear that the guy who got hit was stunned more than hurt.

• Like 1

You remind me Of home in British Columbia. I think it was around 1980 when they came in with the compulsory helmet law.

The arguments went on and on about it. One fellow even claimed more people died with a helmet on. It didn't take long a few years perhaps with strict supervision of the law and you no longer see people riding with out helmets, Today it is as important for them to buy one as it is to buy gas.

In Montana it is not mandatory. I was going to visit my brother one year in Billings Montana on the Eastern side of Montana I noticed large groups of bikes heading west most of them had helmets on. I asked my brother if he knew where they were coming from, He said they were on their way home from Sturgis North Dakota where bikers from all over the states come once a year. It is a huge affair attended by thousands.

There were not that many with out helmets and of the ones who didn't live in Montana I bet when they hit the state line they put one on.

Just a wild guess but the guy who claimed that more people died with a helmet on - he was the village idiot right?