Driving North To South. Avoiding Bangkok

taninthai

Hi

Drove south to north last week ended up on highway 9 what a nightmare completely ruined the whole journey.

Is there any other way round been looking at taking the 329 around and down to highway 4 anyone with experience and different route from highway 9 can't see why you have to go that near bkk really,only interested in opinions from people that have driven the route not people that just have ideas

Thanks in advance

When I was heading north during the floods I took a route that swung to the west and joined the main highway north of Ayutthaya.

If I recall correctly, the reverse of that route would be something like:

1. PanAsia Hwy to Bang Pahan then turn west on hwy 329

2. Take 329 to Muang Suphanburi and get onto Hwy 321 going West/South (I don't think 329 & 321 intersect, you will have to find the connection)

3. Take 321 down to Hwy 4 & from there just head south.

I spoke to my wife some time ago about driving to Chiang Mai from Chumphon without going through Bangkok, she said it is impossible, once we get home from Phuket and get on the computer in a few days I will be able to prove her wrong.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's definitely possible but it looks like you go through all the towns ,as long as the traffic is moving I don't mind,brother inlaw drove up two days ago and was stuck in the toll way by highway 9 for 3 hours,I'm not in no hurry just don't like the 8 lanes of traffic when you go that near bkk.

On the way up we actually went straight past svarnaboom airport I was thinking <deleted> why are we this close to bkk

On the way up we actually went straight past svarnaboom airport I was thinking <deleted> why are we this close to bkk

Now I am confused. Why would you pass BKK on the eastern side if you are coming from the western gulf and want to go north (assuming you want to get to highway 1 northbound)?

I would say: taken the wrong direction through the ringroad?

Can you give more details?

Google suggests the Udon Ratthaya tollroad midst through BKK as first priority instead of ringroad 9 (west side).

I leave it to the BKK experts to judge about that.

See this example:

http://goo.gl/maps/AKpXz

Edited by KhunBENQ

When I was heading north during the floods I took a route that swung to the west and joined the main highway north of Ayutthaya.

2. Take 329 to Muang Suphanburi and get onto Hwy 321 going West/South (I don't think 329 & 321 intersect, you will have to find the connection)

yep seems this is the way to go ,am half way through the trip and have just stopped at a hotel on the 321 for the night,thanks for all the replies

At the bottom of your google earth route search there is an option to travel

1. avoid highways

2.avoid tolls

If you tick both of these you come up with this

Seems to be the same that I handpicked in post #10 following the advice of "wprime" in #9.

So that seems to be a real option.

completed the journey now using the above route ,i think it maybe slightly longer but no traffic jamms and was constantly moving easy to keep speeds from 100-140km/r,both the 329 and 321 are pretty good roads 2 lanes most of the way bit of messing around have to jump on 32 to link the two roads up ,will definately use that route again.

the 333 also looks ok but i was coming down on a different road so couldn't pick that up,thanks again for the replies.

oh and about passing the airport i made a mistake it was only a sign to the airport on the way up definately passed bkk on highway 9 on the west side

It's actually about 25% (50km) further, Bang Pahan to the junction of the 35 and 4 near Samut Songkhram is about 190km by the 'classic' route down 9, the alternative proposed is around 230km.

Up to you if the extra time and fuel is worth the reduction in stress (probably is for me).

• Like 1