Timetable/route Map For Local, Blue Buses

simon43

I've lived in Phuket for over 10 years and very rarely use the local, blue public bus services. (I emphasise blue, not pink - these are the small, wooden buses that ply throughout the island, with destinations only in Thai language etc).

I also rarely see foreigners using these buses, because (presumably), they have no idea where the bus goes and the drivers do not speak English. But on the rare occasions that I've used these buses, I've found them very cheap and an acceptable service.

Now I might need to travel regularly between Nai Yang and Tesco on the bypass. I know there is the airport bus, but it's timetable seems to be very sparse.

Does anyone have links or a contact number for the blue bus services?

Thanks

Simon

They are independently run, so you would have to know the driver. But most of the drivers don't speak English and they invariably have communication problems with foreigners, so quite often they won't even pull over for people who are obviously foreign tourists. Once they know you, they will really go out of their way to help you, though.

I used them commute from Phuket Town and Koh Kaew for a period, but they are not so reliable -- sometimes they will stop at Supercheap for up to ten minutes loading cargo on. Also, there are far fewer of them when the schools are out, since students make up much of their ridership.

Another problem I had with them is the height. As they are all individually constructed, they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes...sometimes the ceiling heights are way too low, especially for those of us over six feet. One time the driver of one with a really tight suspension hit one of those retarded speed bumps on Thepkrasattri Rd in Koh Kaew and I was catapulted into the ceiling, where there was a sharp wooden beam. It nearly knocked me out and I got a bleeding gash on my head.

Anyway, I am going off on a tangent. I believe all the blue buses that go to Nai Yang start at the Fresh Market and Ranong Road and go via Thepkrasattri Road, so they don't pass Tesco Lotus.

A better option for you might be to check out the privately run terminus used my hotels that is located on the connector road that runs from Chao Fa West to Surakul Stadium. Many hotels have buses and employee shuttles that run between there and the resorts. Maybe you could find one that runs between there and Nai Yang. It might be worth a try. I know for a fact, though, that some won't take non-employee passengers for insurance reasons.

I think your best bet may actually be the Airport Bus: at least they tend to run on schedule.

Anyway, best of luck commuting from Tesco to Nai Yang in the monsoon season using Phuket's so-called "public transport system": I am afraid you might need it.

Last thought: Hey, new idea for moderator consideration: how about adding a new pinned thread called 'ride board'..this might prove useful for people like the OP who wants to arrange carpooling and such, or who want to share expenses on visa runs, etc.

Absolute final thought: Speaking of pinned threads, can I get some help on the Events thread? It seems like I am the only one that still posts anything there. I think if we all pooled our efforts it could be a great resource.

Edited by phuketsub