What Is Your Secret Wish For Chiang Mai ?

orang37

I actually wouldn't want to change all that much; it's moving along just fine. But if I had to pick two, then these:

e: all dirty building fronts to be painted within 6 months, fine for ignoring 100.000b.

And:

>

No Smokey Season.

Also, we need more gogo bars.

Would that mean bringing in more go go dancers from out of town there by contributing to the size of the bar scene in Chiang Mai,

Maybe even rival Pattaya?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Move the airport to San Kamphaeng. Convert the entire old airport area to a lake with beautiful sand beaches.

Aren't they already doing that?

They're trying to as the Shins are reported to own all the land there (here we go again!)

Yeah i was talking to my friend who works at the airport on Saturday night and he was saying they were building the new one out there. I guess we will see!

Somehow being able to instill in all a sense of how wonderful the natural envirionment is without seeing it terms of it being either the enemy or in baht terms so it can be protected for our grandkids and their grandkids. .

And with the built envirionment a sense that it can be both aesthetic and functional and that all residents and visitors will take pride in the beauty of the Chiang Mai Valley and surrounding mountians.

Hopeless dreamer i am !

Chiang Mai residents need a sense of "custodial spirit" . Something that is severely lacking. Although they chase the "modernisation dream" quite efficiently..

• Like 1

Would that mean bringing in more go go dancers from out of town there by contributing to the size of the bar scene in Chiang Mai,

It means restoring Cosy Corner / John's Place to the original function, and turning the existing one near the boxing ring into something that more closely resembles Windmill.

If I want Pattaya then I can just go to Pattaya; that's a lot easier and likely more fruitful than chucking some baht into a wishing well.

No cars inside the moat. A bus route around the inside and sam lors for local traffic. All serviced by a huge park and ride located where the airport is now.

No F'ing way would I want any of the sort. Not to mention the unspeakable traffic jam that would create around the airport.

Thank God planning in Chiang Mai is good enough to have most of the development away from the old town, meaning this hopefully will remain unnecessary.

Move the airport to San Kamphaeng. Convert the entire old airport area to a lake with beautiful sand beaches.

Aren't they already doing that?

An old West Berlin style lake with sandy beaches would be nice. Strictly no jet skis though, we don't Pattaya types up here. smile.png

Chiang Mai residents need a sense of "custodial spirit" . Something that is severely lacking. Although they chase the "modernisation dream" quite efficiently..

Finally a post I can ... wai.gif

Well done cmsally ... you are awarded the 'Can see the bigger Picture Award'

• Like 1

no litter, no soi dog, no Africans.

Are Africans a problem there?

As in a disproportionate number compared to other natives?

Or as in there are mis-behaving (more then compared to other natives)?

Chinese Takeaways

What authentic Chinese, or Chop Suey, Sweet & Sour Prawn Balls, Beef Fried Rice, Chow Mein & Spring Rolls etc? licklips.gif

Authentic anything other than thai food here would be nice

May I suggest you try McDonald's and Burger KKng?tongue.png

It means restoring Cosy Corner / John's Place to the original function, and turning the existing one near the boxing ring into something that more closely resembles Windmill.

If I want Pattaya then I can just go to Pattaya; that's a lot easier and likely more fruitful than chucking some baht into a wishing well.

Why didn't you just say you wanted a time machine.tongue.png

Foot paths (pavements) with underground power lines.

Decent drivers.

Water slide park.

Hunt down and destroy all those burning during smoggy times.

A Carl's Jnr.

Decent fish n chip shop.

Half decent building contractors.

The magnificent 7 pipe dreams...blink.png

Now that's what i call really dreaming !!

Agree 100%. Stayed there 1,5 decade and saw NOTHING being improved, well... some black spaghetti moved underground recently. All other changes were just pretentious projects that were all doomed to fail. Like those silly green lanterns on the sidewalk of Tapae road, too sad to be true. ifQdCt0mkxHHs.gif

Oh ! Perhaps they could start with shredding all those filthy nightbazar carts with their broken wheels.

my top six

1. BTS

2. Enough parking in the new shopping malls

3. TruVision without all the foreign language channels that can't be removed

4. Paved-over parts of Nimman

5. Thais who understand what their 'indicator' is for

6. 'Silenced' advertising loudspeaker-vans - ban them!!!

I kind of liked Rubberduck's idea. It didn't take me long in Chiang Mai before I realized that the main problem was the lack of parking and excess number of vehicles in a city not designed for cars and trucks. London, England has a similar problem but they deal with it practically. If you park illegally then your vehicle gets towed away and a heavy fine levied. My sister and her husband live in the suburbs of London and have a car, but they never take it into the heart of the city unless just passing through. There is nowhere to park. Everyone walks or take the transit system. Some cities in America actually were designed with private vehicles in mind, but that just meant more traffic and huge traffic jambs. The huge, expensive arterial highway encompass the city of Los Angeles but it still takes a long time to get anywhere.

There are several big empty lots in the heart of Chiang Mai. They could be turned into the big vertical parking lots holding thousands of personal vehicles. There is no need for spreading parking areas like the shopping malls seem to have.

Edited by rene123

This thread seems to have cleverly disguised its way through various Thai visa rules; that being not to be derogatory to Thai people, its Government and its Cities.

All “our” wishes are infact being critical of Drivers, food, traffic systems, Government lack of direction and jurisdiction, police; immigration; housing, airports, public transport.

It is certainly true that we should not try to change Chiang Mai to suit our own needs per se but you have to wonder that every change that has come about has been by Western influence and ideas.

It seems to me, (how can I be respectful here?) that the Thai system in general has not allowed its people to get ahead, to be a leader, to speak out for their opinion. They have been suppressed by tradition and religion.

Ask yourself to name a Thai universal invention, a scientist, a writer, a pop star, a song writer, a medical breakthrough; nobel prize winner; a sports star, and the list goes on and on.. We all know which part of the globe that talent comes from.

The city will develop, and the wheels of beaurocracy will turn very slowly but the ideas when they are put into practice will be Western ideas. The future will improve for them and for us but until then we have to accept their ways and try not to be critical.

Expats here are covertly very influential in raising awareness, raising standards, improving discipline……..but we are still too hard faced to truly integrate with this community directly...and of course they will need the credit for thinking of the idea themselves.

Iced tea anyone?....hmm Liptons….(oh and he was a Scot)