Adventuring In The Nooks And Cranies Of Thailand

Gaccha

You, like me, love nothing more than to fight your way passed rabic(*) dogs on tiny sois and canals. To be safe and strong there are some decent Apps that should be on your smartphone.

1. Mapdroyd

This is a no brainer. A very decent map is pre-installed on your phone. This is aligned with your GPS so you know where you are. It can measure the distance to anywhere on the map effortlessly and marks out key spots of your choice (a hospital, a post office etc.)

It is free. And the App requires no wi-fi or internet service.

2. Flashlight

Several version available of this idea but I prefer this one. The 'police light' option is useful for crossing roads, and the torch is great for reading signs and seeing the ground.

3. Latitude

A Google App that tells you how to get somewhere. It can offer any bus routes from anywhere to anywhere. For example, you are stuck in downtown Bangkok and need to go somewhere equally off the regular bus map: this is that App you need.

4. Vignette

Best App for decent photos.

5. Easy Voice Recorder

When you chat to the locals...

6. ThaiDict Paiboon

Best Thai dicitonary with audio in Thai. The only one with a phonetic look-up system to find Thai. You'll have to pay for this App.

Any Apps I've missed?

There is probably an App that downloads the whole of Wikitravel (albeit out of date). That might come in handy if no data connection.

(*) Thailand has the third worst level of rabies in the World, with 0.3% of dogs suffering from it. 0.9% of travellers here longer than 10 days are bitten, (Source: Mahidol), only half seek assistance.

Edited by Gaccha