Pre-nuptial

Rj 81

Has anyone married and now wishes thet had a Pre-nup agreed?

Anyone marrying in the near future, who is definatley getting one done or definatley not?

Anyone been divorced and so glad they had the pre-nup, or divorced and wish they had got one done?

Your thoughts...

I didnt think they were legally binding in the U.K? Are they in Thailand? :o

I don't know the ins and outs exactly, but I think you can have one drawn up by a solicitor and it is legally binding in which ever country you get in done in/by.

Anyone marrying in the near future, who is definatley getting one done or definatley not?

Anyone been divorced and so glad they had the pre-nup, or divorced and wish they had got one done?

Your thoughts...

A lotto win you're hiding from the future Mrs Rj 81 per chance?!! crafty!! :D:D

Im not married but I think a pre-nup would have to be put to your future wife with caution - you don't know how she could react, will she think you dont trust her? will she think you suspect she's gold-digging? etc etc :o

a touchy subject IMO.

I got to see a pre-nuptial that a friend had his Thai wife sign. It was pretty well thought out. I told him it was not worth the paper it was written on. If you want to try to go that way the document must be translated to Thai and taken to Laksi to be officially legalized. Even if that is done I have no idea if it is worth anything.

The best way has been suggested on here MANY times. Don't spend any more than you can afford to walk away from.

Thailand has one of the most legally binding pre nup systems in the world ( mainly due to a great requirement to preseve male wealth, exclude farangs from that :D ). The UK in the past did not accept pre nups, but in recent years case law has seen many judges acceptance under common law.

I asked for, and got one signed. There was a disparity of wealth, and things change. In the states, things change A LOT!

There are exceptions, but for most men in the states it is rational to do one.

Isn't Thailand a bit tilted toward the male gender, unlike courts in the states?

I'm a Thai. My worse half is from the West. He has more to lose. I can't own anything for the next 10 years because of some <deleted> an ex-friend caused. I've brought this subject up and have suggested we get a prenuptial agreement when/if we get married.

To me, it's just a straightforward procedure. Make it clear from the beginning that it's him I want to marry, not his money or properties. The subject never crossed his mind. He may find it unromatic. Tough. I don't. :o

I'm a Thai. My worse half is from the West. He has more to lose. I can't own anything for the next 10 years because of some <deleted> an ex-friend caused. I've brought this subject up and have suggested we get a prenuptial agreement when/if we get married.

To me, it's just a straightforward procedure. Make it clear from the beginning that it's him I want to marry, not his money or properties. The subject never crossed his mind. He may find it unromatic. Tough. I don't. :o

For a none native speaker (I assume). What wonderful english.

Your thoughts...

A lotto win you're hiding from the future Mrs Rj 81 per chance?!! crafty!! :D:D

:D The thought has never crossed my mind :o

Thanks for your input folks, some good suggestions for and against.

I'm not getting one done it's decided. The commitment is there on my part, and I'm pretty sure it's there on her part too, well, I'm as sure as you can be. No one can ever be 100% sure, no matter what some might say.

So, I'll let you all know in a couple of years when I need some advise on getting divorced :D

Cheers :D

Thailand has one of the most legally binding pre nup systems in the world ( mainly due to a great requirement to preseve male wealth, exclude farangs from that :D ). The UK in the past did not accept pre nups, but in recent years case law has seen many judges acceptance under common law.

Ahh fair enough, guess that answers my questions. :D

As for me drawing up a pre nup, well i said to my wife are you marrying me for my money? Becasue if you are, half of fuk all isnt very much, but your quite welcome to half my debt. Luckily she saw the funny side and we still got married. :D

I don't know about in Thailand but in the UK prenuptual agreements are worthless - claims that they have been accedpted under common law are wrong.

They are far from worthless! In fact since the original case law of M v M (pre- nuptial agreement) in 2001, judges take them more and more into consideration. You may be confused in that they are not "legally binding" as in Thailand, but this does not make them "worthless", due to UK case law. I am not able to post my law papers, but can give you details of statements from top divorce lawyers in UK.