Relative Safety Of Riding Baht Buses Vs. Driving Motorcycles ...

Jingthing

Has anyone ever heard about an accident involving a baht bus ?

Every time I drive it from Jomtien to S-Pattaya I am thinking that a bad acccident could happen , especially when the driver is going fast.

Yes I feel much safer as a passenger in a baht bus.

Yes, quite a few...

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, quite a few...

really? I cant recall any serious baht bus accidents.

I think drunk Thai drivers are masters at driving while drunk, only when they're wasted completely do they lose control, when they cant even walk and limbs are not getting the signals from central nervous system no more.. but that hardly ever happens, baht bus drivers seem to know their limits, theyre always drunk, yet operational.

If you take the baht bus at the school on 2nd road after say, 9pm, there is no sober baht bus driver to be found. Thats the time when drivers, ranting some drunk slurs incoherently kick out cars full of people, they figure more can fit in. Thats when you can observe how drunk they are. It is an excellent show, and good fun, part of South Asia experience.

Edited by valgehiir

Yes, quite a few...

really? I cant recall any serious baht bus accidents.

I think drunk Thai drivers are masters at driving while drunk, only when they're wasted completely do they lose control, when they cant even walk and limbs are not getting the signals from central nervous system no more.. but that hardly ever happens, baht bus drivers seem to know their limits, theyre always drunk, yet operational.

If you take the baht bus at the school on 2nd road after say, 9pm, there is no sober baht bus driver to be found. Thats the time when drivers, ranting some drunk slurs incoherently kick out cars full of people, they figure more can fit in. Thats when you can observe how drunk they are. It is an excellent show, and good fun, part of South Asia experience.

Google, "Fatal Pattaya baht bus accident caused by drunk Canadian."

TV parties must be like watching paint dry. rolleyes.gif

I went to two. One in Bangkok at a place with a big fish tank close to Nana and another in Pattaya. At both someone bought all my drinks. At the Pattaya one there were also a lot of women in very abbreviated attire. I don't know why someone bought all my drinks. That was one of the reasons I stopped drinking; memory loss.biggrin.png

Right. That was a big one. I don't remember any other big ones for many years. The assertion that baht buses being in vehicular accidents with serious passenger injuries and deaths locally happens frequently is obviously TOTALLY FALSE.

Edited by Jingthing

Right. That was a big one. I don't remember any other big ones for many years. The assertion that baht buses being in vehicular accidents with serious passenger injuries and deaths locally happens frequently is obviously TOTALLY FALSE.

Did anyone assert that baht buses are frequently involved in vehicular accidents with serious passenger injuries and deaths? Or did you make that up for dramatic emphasis?

I really dont think anyone of us have a direct link to the police, so how can we really say how many baht buses get in wrecks, and how bad they were, same with motorbike wrecks. It isnt all in the newspaper or TV, so where do people come up with all these FACTS?

The fact is, most of us have seen wrecks, almost every day, and very few are in the paper.

I would bet a lot of money there have been VERY FEW driver and passenger deaths in baht bus vehicle accidents in the last 10 years. All such deaths would be in the press because baht buses are PUBLIC TRANSPORT and they are VERY RARE. Compared to bikes. How many PER MONTH?

Edited by Jingthing

I would suggest that a fair number of motorbike accidents are actually caused by the actions of baht bus drivers who suddenly veer to the side (approximately the side anyway, never seen one actually get out of the way of other traffic!!) of the road to pick up passengers. On this basis maybe baht buses should be banned thereby reducing the number of potential motorbike accidents and making them safer to drive. whistling.gif

• Like 2

I would suggest that a fair number of motorbike accidents are actually caused by the actions of baht bus drivers who suddenly veer to the side (approximately the side anyway, never seen one actually get out of the way of other traffic!!) of the road to pick up passengers. On this basis maybe baht buses should be banned thereby reducing the number of potential motorbike accidents and making them safer to drive. whistling.gif

Suggest away. But as things stand nobody seriously thinks bikes are as safe as riding the buses. That's a given. I still wonder HOW MUCH safer. My guess stands: 75 times safer.

Personally I would be fine if they banned all the baht buses and replaced with an efficient system of large modern buses which actually ran their predictable routes. But we know that won't happen anytime soon anyway. I also think there is touristic value to the buses. People enjoy the open air aspect. It's become a trademark of visiting here.

Edited by Jingthing

Suggest away. But as things stand nobody seriously thinks bikes are as safe as riding the buses. That's a given. I still wonder HOW MUCH safer. My guess stands: 75 times safer.

Personally I would be fine if they banned all the baht buses and replaced with an efficient system of large modern buses which actually ran their predictable routes. But we know that won't happen anytime soon anyway. I also think there is touristic value to the buses. People enjoy the open air aspect. It's become a trademark of visiting here.

I suspect you are probably right, but I also suspect that whatever the odds, the chances of a motorbike user like myself switching to use baht buses just because it's safer, is as likely as you getting a motorbike and abandoning the baht buses. I reckon that riding a motorbike in Pattaya is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Certainly can be pretty exciting at times. (Or should that be hair-raising!)

• Like 1

Again, this thread has a NARROW focus.

It is not about the OBVIOUS fact that running any private vehicle is more convenient than using the baht buses.

Of course in some cities like New York, not having a car is arguably more convenient.

It is also not about the baht buses limited service area. OBVIOUSLY if you live far outside the baht bus service areas, they can't work for you and you will NEED private transport.

The clearly defined NARROW focus is about accident risks: bikes vs. baht buses.

Again, this thread has a NARROW focus.

It is not about the OBVIOUS fact that running any private vehicle is more convenient than using the baht buses.

Of course in some cities like New York, not having a car is arguably more convenient.

It is also not about the baht buses limited service area. OBVIOUSLY if you live far outside the baht bus service areas, they can't work for you and you will NEED private transport.

The clearly defined NARROW focus is about accident risks: bikes vs. baht buses.

So sorry to have strayed off line! Within the narrow parameters you allow it seems the thread has run it's course.

What is the load capacity of a baht bus I wonder?

The ones I see going over the hill to Jomtien look way overloaded. Easily 25 people.

With the irresponsible driving and poor standards of maintenance, I'm surprised they don't careen out of control with some regularity.

What is the load capacity of a baht bus I wonder?

The ones I see going over the hill to Jomtien look way overloaded. Easily 25 people.

With the irresponsible driving and poor standards of maintenance, I'm surprised they don't careen out of control with some regularity.

Good point. Especially in high season they definitely do overload. You can see that the overloaded ones are slanting down in the back. Surely an additional hazard for riders on the back. That said, again, the actual reported accidents related to such issues are just not happening in significant numbers. Occasionally there is a report of a maintenance related mishap but again in 10 years I don't recall one report of brake failure on a hill, knock on metal.

Another matter. For the most part I have been considering PATTAYA baht buses including Jomtien and Naklua, rather than the white bus system on Sukhumwit. Sukhumwit being Sukhumvit, that's got to be somewhat of a different safety environment for the bus riders there.

BTW, I think this thread HAS been useful in providing a rather comprehensive list of the things that are accident risks with baht bus riding. I don't think this has been done before on this forum.

Edited by Jingthing

what would we all do without you ?

Someone I reckon ya'll would cope.

I've got a funny feeling this actual TOPIC has been played out. coffee1.gif

Yep -- it is kinda played out.

The thread (not that I read all the detail) never discussed the difference between one's own motorbike and a motocy.

But a Baht bus is obviously safer (4 wheels versus 2) ---- has to be

• Like 1

A personal attack removed also bickering replies

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.