Questions About Your Experiences With Ford Ranger 2.2

Forgot to ask 2 more things

1. How often or at how many kilomiles should I get an oil change. In my truck the darn manual is in thai

2. Whats the average kilomile range per liter of diesel I can expect.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Forgot to ask 2 more things

1. How often or at how many kilomiles should I get an oil change. In my truck the darn manual is in thai

2. Whats the average kilomile range per liter of diesel I can expect.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1.15K km or 9 months

2.12-14km/L

Back to the OP's specific questions; I haven't ever been caught short for rpm and torque for overtaking when some local hayseed does something silly in front of me. Even going up the steep grades on 304 through southern Korat and Prachinburi provinces. May be different if I was toting a load and for arguments sake, anyone using the truck for work, hauling sh!t or towing would be better off with the 3.2... if it ever comes freely available in LOS. Comfortable cruising speed is somewhere around 112 kph. I left Suvarnabhumi around 10:45 PM last Friday night and was home in Udon just before 06:00 AM Saturday.

The soft metal of the body panels was my comment on the other thread; it does collect minor dings fairly easily.

Don't see the need for a 4x4 if not farming but whatever turns your crank.

My 13 month old XLT is going in for it's second (30,000 km) service next week. I posted the improving mileage in the main Ranger thread after the first service; managing an extra 1.7km/L average in the second 15k versus the first 15k. Usually town driving in and around Udon with a thrash to Bangkok/Pattaya and back every 6 weeks or so. Never buggered about with changing lubes outwith the recommended periods based on 'feelings' and old habits or used any lube other than recommended either. The battery was dodgy from new and I probably should have got a new one under warranty but car makers tend to handle battery and tire warranties separately from main build components so will get a new one myself when this one finally dies. I also f*cked a rear tire driving too long on an undetected slow puncture so that was about 10,000 baht 'extra' I had to fork out within the first month of ownership.

I changed the headlights for some Osram Night Breakers from the UK since the OEM globes weren't up to snuff on my night drives IMHO.

So far, so good.

Edited by NanLaew

I am also happy with the power from my 2.2 engine, okay it hesitates from standstill

until the turbo kicks in but then it really goes.

Overtaking is easy, the truck accelerate pretty quickly for such a heavy vehicle

and as somebody pointed out, it's not a racing car so if another brand of truck

is slightly quicker I couldn't care less.

I meet many people both Thais and Westerners who commented on the truck (WT, chill orange)

and they were all positive.

So far no problems what so ever with the truck and it fells rock solid and I am happy I choose to wait 8 long month for it and not buy anything else.

Edited by guzzi850m2

TA, My point was the Ford 2.2L is OK for what it is.

For the more powerful pickups the 3.0L Toyota D4D engine is very good and its low speed torque is exceptional. The competitors like the Mitsu will cruise along at 1,500 to 1800 rpm as well but the Toyota does it a little better. However the Toyota looses out when pushed hard at 3,500 - 4,000 rpm, can't have it both ways. The difference doesn't amount to much with an auto tranny.

I've not driven a 3.2L Ranger but assuming MRO's graphs are correct, the 3.0L Toyota only has an advantage below 1,100 rpm, above that the 3.2L Ford is way ahead in power and torque. Problem is no one seems to be able to get Ford to deliver one.

I bought the new ford XLT ranger 2.2 manual double cab pick up for my wife and I love it and she loves it to,,,

it's up to your driving style and what you use it for.

it has plenty of pull for towing a boat or what ever you need.

I have been driving Toyota landcruiser and hilux for years on the land in OZ, and underground, tough pick up, the bitsaremissing (Mitsubishi) also very good, n

but I like the ford.

• Like 1

LOL at you guys biggrin.png

The Ford 2.2L is actually quite impressive when compared against most other 2.5L engines in the segment (bar the Mitsu 2.5L VGS), but it's pushing several hundred kilos more than most of it's competitors, so doesn't feel as eager off the line as a more torquey >2.5L lump or a much lighter aged design - once underway it 'punches above it's weight' though, IMHO.

I have a 2.2 Wildtrak and am very happy with it - no issues at all, It is my leisure vehicle and a 2 wheel drive. I have no problems at all keeping up with anything and even in town it performs well.

It is almost as comfortable as a saloon but for me has exceeded my expectations, great vehicle.

For work I am provided a 3.0 Toyota 4 WD - It (IMO) seems to be around the same power wise as my Ford, It is a great truck and obviously is a proven entity - again no issues, great machine. I am happy to be able to drive both but my favorite is the.....

• Like 1

The Ford 2.2L is actually quite impressive when compared against most other 2.5L engines in the segment (bar the Mitsu 2.5L VGS), but it's pushing several hundred kilos more than most of it's competitors, so doesn't feel as eager off the line as a more torquey >2.5L lump or a much lighter aged design - once underway it 'punches above it's weight' though, IMHO.

I have a 2.2 Wildtrak and am very happy with it - no issues at all, It is my leisure vehicle and a 2 wheel drive. I have no problems at all keeping up with anything and even in town it performs well.

It is almost as comfortable as a saloon but for me has exceeded my expectations, great vehicle.

For work I am provided a 3.0 Toyota 4 WD - It (IMO) seems to be around the same power wise as my Ford, It is a great truck and obviously is a proven entity - again no issues, great machine. I am happy to be able to drive both but my favorite is the.....

FORD

FORD

Ha-Ha,

It's nice to hear from somebody that drives both trucks frequently but Transam must be crying nowwink.png

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

FORD

Ha-Ha,

It's nice to hear from somebody that drives both trucks frequently but Transam must be crying nowwink.png

Noooooooo, mine is cheap chipped............................laugh.png Trounce them all............laugh.png