Australians Consider Opening Consulate On Phuket

webfact

Australians consider opening consulate on Phuket
Phuket Gazette

aus.jpg
Australian Ambassador James Wise (pictured) and Honorary Consul Larry Cunningham discussed the possibility of opening an Australian Consulate on Phuket. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- A decision on whether or not to open an Australian consulate in Phuket is expected to be made within a month, Australian Honorary Consul Larry Cunningham told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

“We have more deaths in Phuket than we have in Bali. We certainly need extra staffing,” he said.

Mr Cunningham discussed the issue with Australian Ambassador James Wise yesterday.

“We spoke for a long time yesterday but did not finalize anything. I think [a decision will be made] probably within a month,” he said.

In addition to Mr Cunningham providing assistance to Australian travellers in distress, as he has done for the past decade, a new consulate would also process visas and passports, which currently can be done only by the embassy in Bangkok.

“I would do passports, passport renewals and children’s passports,” Mr Cunningham said.

Ambassador Wise and Mr Cunningham also discussed the proposal to open a tourist court in Phuket (story here).

“We think the tourist court is a very good idea,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Australians-consider-opening-consulate-on-Phuket-21049.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-15

Hardship post.

Guess somebody's gotta do it.

I assume you're making a facetious remark. In my opinion It would be a hardship post trying to assist the large number of bereaved friends and families. Plus whinging citizens when trying to assist those injured in accidents, whilst uninsured etc etc I would imagine on many occasions, not a fun experience.

'No decision yet' on Phuket Australian consulate expansion
Claire Connell

1368585245_1.jpg
Larry Cunningham has to cover a wide range of issues. In June last year (above) he was heavily involved in getting stranded tourists home after Air Australia collapsed.

PHUKET: -- Expansion of the consulate run by Australian Honorary Consul Larry Cunningham, though it has been discussed, is still very much up in the air, Mr Cunningham said today.

A plan to staff up the Phuket consulate to six or seven employees who would be able to offer full consular services was announced earlier this year by the Australian Government, and was expected to happen later this year.

But Mr Cunningham told The Phuket News this morning that no decision has been made yet.

“I had a meeting with the Australian Embassy this week, and we are just waiting. I don’t necessarily think there will be an answer soon.

“It’s a big if at this stage.”

Mr Cunningham said he currently was able to renew passports but an expanded consulate would be able to offer passport services for children, and issue visas to visit Australia.

The Australian consulate in Phuket is at the Chava Resort, near Surin Beach, where Mr Cunningham is GM, but if it were expanded it might be moved elsewhere, he said.

To contact the consulate call 076 372 600.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-decision-yet-on-phuket-australian-consulate-expansion-39377.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-15

Larry does a great job and you'd need his patience of Jove to deal successfully with some of the morons who holiday or even live here , whilst fending off opportunistic local police.

With so many Australians now arriving here , it REALLY is time we got our own Consulate.

• Like 1

Now, if only they'd open one in Mukdahan...555

Rather than permanently locating in Phuket why not have a roaming Consul, like the Americans who visit Udon Thani several times a year. OK can be based South but at least we can all get some sort of service eg. Notary etc.

Better still in Buriram or Khon Kaen. Suppose any decision needs to wait until the new government is installed in Canberra. I am sure that Julia has other things on her mind at present!!!

Rather than permanently locating in Phuket why not have a roaming Consul, like the Americans who visit Udon Thani several times a year. OK can be based South but at least we can all get some sort of service eg. Notary etc.
Yes, the US embassy has what it calls the Outreach Program, which rotates consular people and functions on schedule to population centers throughout Thailand. Of course, the complaint is that the Outreach isn't there when you need it, or that you still have to go to the embassy in Bangkok to get done what you need.

I don't see the problem, when I need some officiating service, I go to Bangkok, spend a couple of days visiting friends and buying what I can't get where I live, and do my embassy business.

Links are dead, "Ambassador Wise and Mr Cunningham also discussed the proposal to open a tourist court in Phuket (story here).

“We think the tourist court is a very good idea,” he said."

What is a tourist court? Please expand if you know.

Links are dead, "Ambassador Wise and Mr Cunningham also discussed the proposal to open a tourist court in Phuket (story here).

Do a thread search on here. Lots about it.

At least they could open a consulate in CM! Those of us in the north are seriously disadvantaged by the difficulties of getting to BKK, and then having to go to Nan for the simplest task.

A tourist court is where tourist that have be done a wrong deal and the police have caught someone and will be taken to court. The police will prolong the court case so the tourist will have to catch a plane home and all charges will be dropped as there is no witnesses.

Larry does a great job and you'd need his patience of Jove to deal successfully with some of the morons who holiday or even live here , whilst fending off opportunistic local police.

With so many Australians now arriving here , it REALLY is time we got our own Consulate.

Larry is a good man

I LOVE IT!

Their motives are brilliant! "We have more deaths in Phuket than in Bali"!!!

Try to open a Crematorium instead!

An exclusive closed type 'for Ozzies only' with Vic Bitter on tap...clap2.gif

And I thought i've seen it all... stupid me!

I LOVE IT!

Agree, stupid you

• Like 1

I LOVE IT!

Agree, stupid you

Agree, Simple you...

I LOVE IT!

Agree, stupid you

Agree, Simple you...

So was your post based upon an attempt of humour regards Australian deaths in Phuket or lack of knowledge of Consular Services?