Air India Pilot Locked Out Of Cockpit

Pakaty

Could have been worse. I remember Tony Wheeler of Lonely Planet fame relating in a talk of how years ago he was in an internal flight in China and the pilot left cockpit to go to the loo. On his return found the door locked (and this was pre security precaution days) and hammered on the door for the co-pilot to open it which he did. There was then an animated discussion about how come the door was locked, at which point the co-pilot shut the door to demonstrate it was unlocked. Unfortunately they were both outside the cockpit at the time and the door turned out to be locked. laugh.png

Apparently took some serious work with an axe they procured from somewhere to get back in.That was a flight I was glad I was not on.....

• Like 1

Google: Pilot locked out of cockpit, or words similar, you will find without a shadow of a doubt many of these incidents.

Or try pilot locked in bathroom, or pilot not able to reenter cockpit due to the fact that the copilot fell asleep, or because of not remembering the password, or like in this case due to a faulty lock, or...or....or.... This happens more than most of you know due to the most ridiculous reasons one can`t make up or imagine even if you wanted.

Fact is that most western airlines have a better way of suppressing this kind of news, and the general public is more inclined to believe them, that is what makes the only difference.

• Like 2

Anyone have Tony Wheeler's email address to check the attribute to him and LP?

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/fireaxe.asp

Mac

Spot on.... I really do wish more people would check Snopes before blindly posting <deleted>.

like yourself in this instance.

I mentioned this was pre security check days and years ago. To be more exact it was pre what we now refer to as the internet, I remember my ex was with me so that dates it to between 1988 & 1992 predating both Snopes and the story. I also believe that he was referring to something that happened to him many years earlier. Furthermore unlike yourself I don't take Snopes to be the gospel of veracity you seem to think it is, this was China years ago, FAA rules don't apply so bang goes the "keys stashed around the plane part". And if you have never seen an axe on a plane then you have not done that much flying, I've seen them myself in earlier times in cases by exit doors on Aeroflot flights out of Tashkent. Ever seen some of the planes used for Haj flights ? There have been FAA reports of them flying without navigation gear. Not flown on many internal African flights have we ? Whether or not Tony Wheeler was telling it how it was is up to him. I'm sure there are more than a few of us on here that have taken flights where an event like this was more than credible.

• Like 1