Baby Bonus - Poof - Gone In 60 Secs

David48

Have a check what the cost would be at a Govt hospital for her. It may be a bit more reasonable than you think.

My partner and I are hoping for a child in the near future. That's not possible to be born in Australia as my partner doesn't have any status there and I can't afford the cost of childbirth in a Private Hospital in Australia.

Sorry harry ... the quote thing still has major issues!

The actual birth process might be not to costly, however, if there are complications and the bub is premature, the cost for a humidicrib costs somewhere between $700 - $1,000 a day.

One month can be very costly.

Imagine if you had twins ... and they usually come early (before full term).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a check what the cost would be at a Govt hospital for her. It may be a bit more reasonable than you think.

My partner and I are hoping for a child in the near future. That's not possible to be born in Australia as my partner doesn't have any status there and I can't afford the cost of childbirth in a Private Hospital in Australia.

The actual birth process might be not to costly, however, if there are complications and the bub is premature, the cost for a humidicrib costs somewhere between $700 - $1,000 a day.

So you are looking for two baby bonuses in one go. Less work?

a p[ost with racist comment has been removed along with a reply calling poster on it. Think carefully before using derogatory terms, the next I see from the poster in question will result in a very length suspension.

• Like 1

But there still appears to be a $2000 baby bonus + $1k per additional kid. Isn't that still a baby bonus ?

If you are referring the Government (Labor Party) scheme ... the legislation hasn't gone to parliament yet.

No ... blink.png

I was just explaining why the expenses could escalate quickly if a humidicrib had to be used and then that cost would presumably double if two cribs were involved.

Must admit ... I don't how I would handle one child ... let alone 2 at once ... w00t.gif

• Like 1

No ... blink.png

I was just explaining why the expenses could escalate quickly if a humidicrib had to be used and then that cost would presumably double if two cribs were involved.

Must admit ... I don't how I would handle one child ... let alone 2 at once ... w00t.gif

The costs here would be pretty high for that scenario in a Private Hospital too. I think you are only checking private hospitals in Australia. I really suggest checking with a public hospital telling them that she will not be medicare covered. I think you may find it can be cheaper than private in Thailand.

In a public hospital in Thailand that situation would be considered unfortunate and the ongoing treatment of the babies not possible if it involved the scenario you put.

Edited by harrry

I can tell you now David the costs would be bloody high. My wife didn't have Medicare at first and just 3 visits to a midwife for a few minutes each was 600 dollars. It cost us perhaps 2grand up until she got Medicare. It would be in the high thousands to have a baby without Medicare here. I'd rather go 5star treatment in Thailand hospital system.

So you are looking for two baby bonuses in one go.  Less work?

No ... Posted Image

Must admit ... I don't how I would handle one child ... let alone 2 at once ...  Posted Image

The costs here would be pretty high for that scenario in a Private Hospital too.  I think you are only checking private hospitals in Australia.  I really suggest checking with a public hospital telling them that she will not be medicare covered.  I think you may find it can be cheaper than private in Thailand.

In a public hospital in Thailand that situation would be considered unfortunate and the ongoing treatment of the babies not possible if it involved the scenario you put.

Hmm, nah if she doesn't have Medicare here, then bad luck. Something to consider when sponsoring somebody to go to your country.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You forget the humicrib would be covered. The minute they are born the babies are entitled to Medicare. The only costs would be for your wife.

That is if it is an Australian Public Hospital.

Edited by harrry

@ krisb ... I'm sure you had something great to say ... pity there are still issues with the quoting system.

@ harrry ... it certainly is an interesting thought. I have idea about the answer, but I'll have a poke around the internet a bit.

Harry could be onto something there. Still the main cost would be to the mother for all the pre birth visits, delivery and then the aftercare visits. They are very good here in oz but it's not cheap.

Harry could be onto something there. Still the main cost would be to the mother for all the pre birth visits, delivery and then the aftercare visits. They are very good here in oz but it's not cheap.

I've actually posed harrry's question to Medicare.

When/if they answer, I'll post the info here.

They say within 3 days ... I won't hold my breath though ... rolleyes.gif

I hope to happily surprised.

• Like 1

No

In fact her travel will be the hardest part.

qantas :

Flights 4 hours duration or greater

For routine pregnancies, you can travel up to the end of the 36th week for single pregnancies and the end of the 32nd week for multiple pregnancies (e.g. twins).

Medical clearance is required if you are having complications with your pregnancy (that is, if the pregnancy is not routine).

No

qantas :

For routine pregnancies, you can travel up to the end of the 36th week for single pregnancies and the end of the 32nd week for multiple pregnancies (e.g. twins).

Medical clearance is required if you are having complications with your pregnancy (that is, if the pregnancy is not routine).

Adding to that is that most likely you would want to be on a 6 month visit ... and that requires an X-Ray before travelling.

Plus ... there is no desire to 'bend the rules' ... some might ... I don't.

Just waiting for Medicare to come back to me.

No

qantas :

Adding to that is that most likely you would want to be on a 6 month visit ... and that requires an X-Ray before travelling.

Why the 6 months?

And where is the bending of the rules. The child is on birth an Australian citizen and hence entitled to treatment.

Edited by harrry

No

qantas :

Why the 6 months?

And where is the bending of the rules. The child is on birth an Australian citizen and hence entitled to treatment.

harrry ... where did you get the '36 week rule' for not flying from?

There is 4.33 weeks (on average) in each month.

From conception to birth is 9 months

36/4.33 = 8.31

Unless I've got everything wrong, there is an implication that a pregnant lady can fly up till 8 1/2 months pregnant ... blink.png

What I thought the general rule was no flying after 6 months.

6 x 4.33 = 25.98 ... say 26 weeks.

Did you get the '26' and the '36' mixed up?

No

qantas :

Why the 6 months?

harrry ... where did you get the '36 week rule' for not flying from?

There is 4.33 weeks (on average) in each month.

From conception to birth is 9 months

36/4.33 = 8.31

Unless I've got everything wrong, there is an implication that a pregnant lady can fly up till 8 1/2 months pregnant ... blink.png

What I thought the general rule was no flying after 6 months.

6 x 4.33 = 25.98 ... say 26 weeks.

Did you get the '26' and the '36' mixed up?

https://qantas.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/114

Question

What are the requirements for flying whilst pregnant?

Answer

You can travel up to the end of the 36th week for single pregnancies and the end of the 32nd week for multiple pregnancies (e.g. twins).

Flights less than 4 hours duration

You can travel up to the end of the 40th week for single pregnancies and the end of the 36th week for multiple pregnancies.

Medical clearance is required if you are having complications with your pregnancy.

Read more about medical requirements for travelling while pregnant on Qantas flights or see the relevant consulate or embassy.

• Like 1

No

qantas :

It only goes away if you've been away from oz for more that 5 years. If lost, it comes back the second you call oz home again.

Our doctor, family gp told my wife last week in September or in his words can fly no later than the afl grand final, knowing she was due end of December.

Forget what airlines say, they aren't doctors.

Our doctor, family gp told my wife last week in September or in his words can fly no later than the afl grand final, knowing she was due end of December.

Forget what airlines say, they aren't doctors.

Must admit, I agree with you.

After 6 months, I'd have concerns for my partners health ... certainly on a long haul flight.

No reply back from Medicare yet.

I agree with the sentiment of what you guys have written about above (though I don't about the negative gearing aspect if that just relates to housing) however ...

There was a positive case to be made in relation to the Baby Bonus also.

So the baby bonus was part of our plan to settle in Australia and to use that money as intended ... to defray the costs of setting up all those things that you need to start family life.

But our situation is but one of a thousand different stories.

Can anyone see the positive side of the (current version) Baby Bonus?

If you can't afford children, you shouldn't have them.

I agree with the sentiment of what you guys have written about above (though I don't about the negative gearing aspect if that just relates to housing) however ...

There was a positive case to be made in relation to the Baby Bonus also.

So the baby bonus was part of our plan to settle in Australia and to use that money as intended ... to defray the costs of setting up all those things that you need to start family life.

But our situation is but one of a thousand different stories.

Can anyone see the positive side of the (current version) Baby Bonus?

If you can't afford children, you shouldn't have them.

tell that to the hundreds of thousands on family support A & B. In anycase the baby bonus was not an act of generosity by government but driven by policy to encourage an increase in birth rate i.e. more future tax payers.

• Like 2

Seems you must have the whole Medicare department stumped David!

Thanks for reminding me ... it's been so long, I'd actually forgotten.

I'll go chase it up now.

EDIT:- They actually have 10 days to reply and I asked them late on Monday 27th, so they have a few more days to come back to me.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1