Indonesia: Dozens Of Freeport Miners Buried In Papua

<p>TIMIKA, INDONESIA (BNO NEW) -- Dozens of people were buried, but the number of casualties is unclear after a mine caved in in eastern Indonesia, local authorities said Tuesday.

</p>

<p>The incident occurred on Tuesday morning at around 7:45 a.m. local time at a gold and copper mine operated by PT Freeport Indonesia in Mimika, located in the eastern province of Papua.

</p>

<p>Indonesia's National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) chief Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said a roof collapsed at the Big Gossan underground tunnel, according to Antara news agency.

</p>

<p>While some reports have indicated the deaths of at least four people, local media said rescuers pulled out survivors. Daisy Primyanti, Freeport Indonesia corporate communication deputy chief, also confirmed the incident but did not confirm the number of casualties, as rescuers were having difficulties reaching the area.

</p>

<p>Although official numbers were not released, reports say at least 32 remain trapped.

</p>

<p>The mine is one of the world's largest in copper and gold, but human rights and environmental controversy has surrounded its operation in recent years. In October 2011, around seventy percent of Indonesian workers in Papua carried out a strike, blocking roads, cutting off pipelines and clashing with authorities. Unidentified gunmen shot and killed at least three people during the incident, but details have been sketchy.

</p> <p> (Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].) </p>