Plodprasop Refuses To Apologise For Calling Protesters At Water Summit "garbage"

webfact

Plodprasop refuses to apologise over 'garbage' comment
WARATTAYA CHAILANGKA,
JANJIRA JARUSUPAWAT
THE NATION

30206242-01_big.jpg
Plodprasop

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi yesterday shrugged off a demand for him to apologise for calling protesters at the second Asia-Pacific Water Summit "garbage".

"The word is not rude. I mean, these people are useless," Plodprasop said.

The event, which started on Tuesday in Chiang Mai, runs until next Monday.

Plodprasop's comments have sparked an outcry, with the Campaign for Popular Democracy (CPD) calling for him to issue an apology.

PUBLIC REPRIMAND DEMANDED

Accusing Plodprasop of violating human dignity and threatening people who exercise their right to assemble, the CPD also pressed for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to publicly reprimand Plodprasop.

"If she does not do that, she can be considered his accomplice," the CPD said in a statement.

Plodprasop was quoted as saying last Sunday that, "If they [protesters] come, they will get arrested. What will you protest against? Don't come. If you violate laws, I will order your arrest. Chiang Mai people should not allow such garbage [protesters] to be around."

According to the CPD, Plodprasop's words reflect his prejudices against people's right to assemble. The CPD also described Plodprasop as, "dictatorial, power-crazed and paying no attention to people".

Responding to the CPD's statements, Plodprasop hit back, saying many protesters used rude words against him and had never apologised.

"You have thrown verbal abuses at others. But when someone throws some at you, you can't bear it," he said.

An informed source said the Living River Network, the Foundation for Ecological Recovery and people adversely affected by the government's policies on water management would hold a press conference in Chiang Mai this Sunday.

A number of NGOs who are against the government's water-management plans are expected to show up.

Plodprasop is the chairman of the Water and Flood Management Commission, which is overseeing the bidding by four private firms on the massive Bt350-million water-management and flood-prevention scheme.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-16

"The word is not rude. I mean, these people are useless," Plodprasop said.

Plodprasop denies abusing anyone verbally.

"You have thrown verbal abuses at others. But when someone throws some at you, you can't bear it," he said.

Plodprasop admits abusing people verbally.

With this guy as Deputy PM, don't look for things to change for the better in a hurry. At least they took the Science & Technology portfolio away from him.

• Like 2

Rather than the protestors being an embarrassment to Thailand and adversely affecting it's image in front of foreign officials at the Water planning symposium(as the Government seem concerned), I would consider a Deputy PM saying such things about people, or rather Thai citizens, exercising their democratic right as much more of an embarrassment to the image of the nation. rolleyes.gif Then again, how much more of an image buster can you get of a nation when the senior scientific Minister implements a plan to have a 1000 boats trying to dispell flood waters from a large river in full flow whistling.gif

"Chiang Mai people should not allow such garbage [protesters] to be around"

Is this a call for the reds to come out in force against the protesters?

Rak Chiang Mai 51, the infamous* Red Shirt group are planning a counter "protest".

*And by infamous here are some of their antics:

- "...the group’s red-shirted mob forcibly broke up the Gay Pride parade staged to promote awareness about Aids."

- "200 red-shirts raided a branch of the Santi Asoke sect in Chiang Mai on a false pretext that some illegal activities were going on there. Nothing illegal was found, only a group of stunned women, children and elderly people residing in the monastery."

- "The red-shirted mob also raided the Regent Lodge hotel in Lampang in search of Chaiwat Sinsuwong, a member of the People’s Alliance for Democracy"

- "One red-shirted protester slapped the face of a woman lecturer when she tried to stop the mob entering the party to search for one of the alumni, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban of the Democrat party.”

- "Chiang Mai Court has sentenced five men to 20 years in jail for the murder of the father of a key member of the yellow shirt People’s Alliance for Democracy."

- "Red shirt supporters burned down the home of Surachai Chongrak, the permanent secretary of the Chiang Mai Provincial Authority who serves as the Assistant Governor, as well as the entrance gate, security booth and other structures in residence of Governor Amornphan Nimanant. Damages are estimated at more than 3 million baht.”

etc, etc...

Excellent post thank you. It shows that the Shiniwatra's are on plan for recreating the same environment that proved so successful for Thaksin's role model in Cambodia.

Democracy? Freedom of speech? The right to protest? Here we go ........ slowly their true colours are showing.

Yes - and good old Plod can't be bothered with pretending otherwise.

Violate any law, and you'll be arrested. If you somehow manage to escape the myriad of laws and police "discretion" then the "people" will come out and stop this blot on the landscape.

And this is the tip of the iceberg!

With all the fluff and circumstance brewing, isn't it refreshing to see real people acting the way they think? Rather that taunt this guy for being blunt, brash, dictatorial its better to let him be real. He and those with hot headed tendencies are showing you what they think, a far cry better that kittirat who I wouldn't bother to describe here.

With all the fluff and circumstance brewing, isn't it refreshing to see real people acting the way they think? Rather that taunt this guy for being blunt, brash, dictatorial its better to let him be real. He and those with hot headed tendencies are showing you what they think, a far cry better that kittirat who I wouldn't bother to describe here.

People, like the character in question, might be referred to as "boors, bozos or buffoons."

Subtlety and diplomacy are not on the list of their talents.

But let's let him be real, it's far more entertaining.

This group of Politicians seem to spend most oftheir time bickering with other/opposing groups, trying to justify what they have said, or giving excuses for their failures.

This man seems to get into "hot water" no matter what fanciful idea he is plotting. If there was ever a need for an 'inactive post', this individual as well as several other cabinet members have brought it to the fore front of public attention.

This man in any post qualifies it as an Inactive Post.

Dr. No... more,

Dr. I Don't Know.

I know just where to stick that post too, ever since he had an

" Endangered Species Dinner Party," at the Chaing Mai Zoo.

Pay enough to his political goals and you can eat a rare species before it dies!!

What a humanitarian at work.

The guy is a menace, which is worse than garbage.

Garbage can be recycled in many cases.

This guy just seems to fail up...

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the day when the Thai man in the street grows a pair and decides to oust these rotten hi-so wannabees. I will take a trip to Singapore for a week or 2 while they clean up

.....the same people that want to sue when truth shows them in a bad light....

.such hypocrites......

...I guess they figure they don't need any more votes to ransack the country.....

....billions and trillions....

(..at least people in other professions tell you how much it is going to cost you....)

Everyone is always so concerned about the "Image of Thailand". Well, they could start cleaning it up a number of ways, and one of the best would be to boot out every elitist thinking, hi-so, ignorant, rude, crude, and socially unacceptable bozo like this one.

To disparage the people reflects a jejune character and lack of compassion ,tolerance and sagacity often stemming from impotence in private life.

With hindsight Hitelr Stalin,Pol plot,Mao et al should have been prematurely evacuated

He should make a public apology to the people of Thailand, the people that is woks for as a public servant,

reprimanded and demoted,

unfortunately to many government workers, politicians, police, and all government employees have forgotten that they are here to work for us that they are public servants, we have all remind them.

I'm looking forward to the day when the Thai man in the street grows a pair and decides to oust these rotten hi-so wannabees. I will take a trip to Singapore for a week or 2 while they clean up

Me, too. Unfortunately the 'Thai man in the street' does not read newspapers or listen to (non-propaganda) radio and has no knowledge of what K. Plodprasob said not what the P.M. said in Mongolia, and so on. Seriously low-information voters here. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

Me, too. Unfortunately the 'Thai man in the street' does not read newspapers or listen to (non-propaganda) radio and has no knowledge of what K. Plodprasob said not what the P.M. said in Mongolia, and so on. Seriously low-information voters here. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Word of mouth spreads faster than media