Bbigman21

bbigman21

About a month ago I posted and asked for some ideas about moving to Thailind.

I stated that I was a Electrician I make about 45k in the States have very little retirement money and have about 30 more years of work to go and that is if the market stays like it is. But we all know it will not. I am married to a Thai lady who I love very much. Know she doesn't care where we stay but she would like to move back to Thailand. And I would love to move there also. But again it just doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere here I mean it just seems like I just make enough to get by with the necassary things. And I am not talking going out all the time or any of the normal bull that some might think is normal. We have been eating Thai at home if we buy anything it is secondhand. I drive about 30 miles to work every day and between that and other errands every three days I seem to go through 20 gal of gas which costs about 50 us dollars and between that and all the other bills including taking care of the family in Thailand we are just getting by. I know you are thinking well get a better job. Well yes it is on my mind but the market on building in the us is a little slow right now. And the jobe I have right now most would consider good. And I know someone mentioned working on Oilrigs. And upon closer inspection it sound great I have my resume out to quite a few companies in the states and abroad. I am not afraid of hard work so no problem right. Well I am just about to turn 40 I might be on the upper age of starting on a rig.

So I would really like some honest and sincer replies please. And yes I know the occasional joke at my expense is ok to.

So to sum it up because I know I have been going back and forth. I want to move to Thailand But I can't retire just yet I don't want to wait to long. I would really like to move there in Two years. I do not have a lot of asset here but about enough to buy a nice house over there. So I need job over there. I know about the usual teaching thing. 1 I am not the teaching kind of person you know the some college education thing. I wouldn't mind doing it to help out kind of thing but I just don't think it is going to be a money maker. So can anyone help?

Everyone have a good day! :o

If you're an electrician you could probably get a job over here in Iraq, Kuwait, Jordan or Afganistan. I can send you a personal message if you're interested. It's fairly safe and the pay is good. You'd also be able to go see your wife in Thailand every 4 months if you want to.

OT

How did you end up in such a position with no assets at 40? I wana be sure i have built up atleast one or mouse house by then

I know that when I was 23 I looked through a little bit differnt eyes I would have thought that I would have more money. But things happen but I wish you the best of luck :o

You say you're 40 years old and you have to work 30 more years until retirement. That would make you 70 at retirement. You really have to work that long?

Average salary in the U.S. is in the $30,000 range. At $45,000 per year, you are above average. So after taxes you're making roughly $700 per week or $2800 per month. Where do you live? In a lot of places $2800 per month will be a lot of money. If you live in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles or San Diego then it's not a lot of money. Where you live is a very big factor here. Being an electrician, you can get work anywhere because everyone needs electricians. I would suggest moving to a cheaper place in the U.S. before thinking about coming to Thailand. In Thailand you will not be able to make any real money, then you'll regret coming here. Check out living in places where costs are low. Pretty much the entire state of Texas has low cost of living. Also, an added bonus is they don't have a state tax you have to pay. Neither does Washington, Nevada and a couple others. I would look there first.

You say you're 40 years old and you have to work 30 more years until retirement. That would make you 70 at retirement. You really have to work that long?

Average salary in the U.S. is in the $30,000 range. At $45,000 per year, you are above average. So after taxes you're making roughly $700 per week or $2800 per month. Where do you live? In a lot of places $2800 per month will be a lot of money. If you live in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles or San Diego then it's not a lot of money. Where you live is a very big factor here. Being an electrician, you can get work anywhere because everyone needs electricians. I would suggest moving to a cheaper place in the U.S. before thinking about coming to Thailand. In Thailand you will not be able to make any real money, then you'll regret coming here. Check out living in places where costs are low. Pretty much the entire state of Texas has low cost of living. Also, an added bonus is they don't have a state tax you have to pay. Neither does Washington, Nevada and a couple others. I would look there first.

Yes I know I have a above average income. But when you become my age everything cost money my house my car utilities. I know I am looking for something that just might not be but someone told me once that I would be even more stupid if I did not ask. Social security says I can retire at the ripe old age of 73. But I know there is not going to be anything there. So I have to depend on myself for retirement.

If you're an electrician you could probably get a job over here in Iraq, Kuwait, Jordan or Afganistan. I can send you a personal message if you're interested. It's fairly safe and the pay is good. You'd also be able to go see your wife in Thailand every 4 months if you want to.

Honestly....This route sounds like your best bet. You appear to have a skill that is marketable in that venue and you would likely make more money and be able to invest it in a home in Thailand rather than wasting it on taxes and the general high cost of just getting by in the US. I dont know the details but it sounds like your personal food and lodging is included in some of these overseas jobs so you would be able to invest most of your income in your Thailand home. Bust your ass for 10 years or so and see if you can retire to a semi-comfortable life by the time you're 50.

Good luck to ya :o

Honestly....This route sounds like your best bet. You appear to have a skill that is marketable in that venue and you would likely make more money and be able to invest it in a home in Thailand rather than wasting it on taxes and the general high cost of just getting by in the US. I dont know the details but it sounds like your personal food and lodging is included in some of these overseas jobs so you would be able to invest most of your income in your Thailand home. Bust your ass for 10 years or so and see if you can retire to a semi-comfortable life by the time you're 50.

Good luck to ya :D

Thanks In two years I want to at least be living in Thailand parttime and by the time I am 55 I want to be retired except for the occasional teaching job but only if I am helping. I don't want to be one more farang that think they can do anything. :o

have you tried to obtained employment with international company? Many US based company looks for US citizen to work for them abroad. It seems to me you might be able to work as maintenace for any company. If not, try getting a job through international contract company as electrician/maintenace in Thailand. Just a though but I hope it works out for you.

Yes I know I have a above average income. But when you become my age everything cost money my house my car utilities. I know I am looking for something that just might not be but someone told me once that I would be even more stupid if I did not ask. Social security says I can retire at the ripe old age of 73. But I know there is not going to be anything there. So I have to depend on myself for retirement.

You still didn't answer my question. Where do you live now? Then you said, "But when you become my age everything cost money my house my car utilities." I fail to see how your age has anything to do with that. I am not yet 40 years old but just like you, my house, my car and my utilities also cost me money.

I'm afraid you're not being very clear. :o

You still didn't answer my question. Where do you live now? Then you said, "But when you become my age everything cost money my house my car utilities." I fail to see how your age has anything to do with that. I am not yet 40 years old but just like you, my house, my car and my utilities also cost me money.

One of the things I forget to mention was the ex-wife, and for that matter my new wife who is thai and I live in Michigan :D

Don't understand your comment about US social security saying you can't retire until age 73.

Under the current rules, you can begin recieiving social security retirment benefits at age 62.

To receive full benefits, you have to wait longer, currently age 65.

Of course, there is a lot of political pressure to tweak the system and raise those numbers a bit, and also reduce benefits.

However, I wouldn't believe the chicken littles who say the system is going away completely.

As far as your hopes of moving to Thailand much earlier, all I can think of is to take the money you were going to buy a house with, and try to come up with a business plan to do in Thailand instead. You are going to have to work longer, you want to be in Thailand, English teaching is out ... so this seems the only way to me. And incredibly risky too. But there you have it, at least my two satangs.

One of the things I forget to mention was the ex-wife, and for that matter my new wife who is thai and I live in Michigan :D

Ex-wife huh? Ok then, now we're getting somewhere. The plot has thickened. No matter what you will not be able to escape the woe of having to deal with and pay alimony to an ex-wife. Were you planning to go to Thailand and just avoid paying her because no one will be able to find you? Might work and it might not. Sounds to me like that is your biggest problem. Unless you are going to just try and hide from her, there is nothing else I can suggest. Going over to the Middle East, while it can be very lucrative, it is also very dangerous and usually temporary. If companies are offering permanent positions there then that is news to me. From what I know, positions are offered on a 1-2 year basis. So you make good money for 2 years and then what? You are back in the same spot as right now, albeit with a little more money. That money won't last a lifetime.

I don't see 2 years as an option for you at all unless you can come up with enough hard currency and a good biz plan to get a Biz started here ... and then you are at extreme risk of it failing.

I'd be thinking 10 year plan .... start with buying houses that need some real work ... ideally one's that need more in the way of electrical ... and rolling them or renting them out.

Create assets, save, create assets, save ....

Don't understand your comment about US social security saying you can't retire until age 73.

Under the current rules, you can begin recieiving social security retirment benefits at age 62.

To receive full benefits, you have to wait longer, currently age 65.

Of course, there is a lot of political pressure to tweak the system and raise those numbers a bit, and also reduce benefits.

However, I wouldn't believe the chicken littles who say the system is going away completely.

As far as your hopes of moving to Thailand much earlier, all I can think of is to take the money you were going to buy a house with, and try to come up with a business plan to do in Thailand instead. You are going to have to work longer, you want to be in Thailand, English teaching is out ... so this seems the only way to me. And incredibly risky too. But there you have it, at least my two satangs.

How old are you? I don't know if you know this but right now it is differnt strokes for differn't folks. And they are talking about upping that. But if I continue to work as I do now I am elgible to retire with full benifits when I am 73. And I have been under constant employment since the age of 16.

As far as the chicken littles, I don't know but I cannot depend on it. Even then. But thanks all the same. :o

Ex-wife huh? Ok then, now we're getting somewhere. The plot has thickened. No matter what you will not be able to escape the woe of having to deal with and pay alimony to an ex-wife. Were you planning to go to Thailand and just avoid paying her because no one will be able to find you? Might work and it might not. Sounds to me like that is your biggest problem. Unless you are going to just try and hide from her, there is nothing else I can suggest. Going over to the Middle East, while it can be very lucrative, it is also very dangerous and usually temporary. If companies are offering permanent positions there then that is news to me. From what I know, positions are offered on a 1-2 year basis. So you make good money for 2 years and then what? You are back in the same spot as right now, albeit with a little more money. That money won't last a lifetime.

No I do not plan to hide from the ex. And the middle east is an option but maybe not to solve the whole riddle. But possibly the first step. But I am waying the options taking as much advice as I can before I leap but oh boy do I want to leap. So right now just advice and checking out that advice.

I stated that I was a Electrician I make about 45k in the States have very little retirement money and h.................................

So I would really like some honest and sincer replies please. And yes I know the occasional joke at my expense is ok to.

So to sum it up because I know I have been going back and forth. I want to move to Thailand But I .............out kind of thing but I just don't think it is going to be a money maker. So can anyone help?

Everyone have a good day! :D

Hi Bigman21,

Okay, I´ll get the obvious (poor taste) joke out of the way, only cos AI´m the class clown.

I hear there are jobs going for elctricians in downtown manhatten... Some big contstruction project I heard mentioned...

Drumroll..

Okay.

In the middle east (dubai) they are currently constructing whole townships on small islands that they have manufactured. Get a job with any of the multi national contractors (dutch-english-american- among many others, get thousands of dolalrs, expenses paid, work in an artificial paradise.

I´m talking about island projects like the Globe, The Palm, etc..

Dubai is only four hour flight (direct) to Bangkok.

:o

Maybe not a solution, but mayhap inspiration...

I don't see 2 years as an option for you at all unless you can come up with enough hard currency and a good biz plan to get a Biz started here ... and then you are at extreme risk of it failing.

I'd be thinking 10 year plan .... start with buying houses that need some real work ... ideally one's that need more in the way of electrical ... and rolling them or renting them out.

Create assets, save, create assets, save ....

What I want is to be out of the states in two years :o Everything is subject to change. But the tentative plan is this. Right now I will continue to work and just get by and look, and I mean actively look for a better job. But my real hopes are to get on a oil rig and I mean anywhere doing anything. So that I can get my foot in the door. Yes I am a electrician but I am willing to start at anything. 1 begining wage is the same as I make now 2 no taxes international waters 3 I can start to learn some of things I need to know to become a rig electrcian( that coupled with past experience)

So hoping with in the first couple of years I could land a better job on a rig. And then hopefully ten years pulling down 80 to 100k us. And living half the time in Thailand, But who knows this may be the biggest pipe dream in world. But I am not going to jump off a cliff so to speak. I am just checking the ground before I step, but again thank you for your input. :D

I stated that I was a Electrician I make about 45k in the States have very little retirement money and h.................................

So to sum it up because I know I have been going back and forth. I want to move to Thailand But I .............out kind of thing but I just don't think it is going to be a money maker. So can anyone help?

Everyone have a good day! :D

Hi Bigman21,

Okay, I´ll get the obvious (poor taste) joke out of the way, only cos AI´m the class clown.

I hear there are jobs going for elctricians in downtown manhatten... Some big contstruction project I heard mentioned...

Drumroll..

Okay.

In the middle east (dubai) they are currently constructing whole townships on small islands that they have manufactured. Get a job with any of the multi national contractors (dutch-english-american- among many others, get thousands of dolalrs, expenses paid, work in an artificial paradise.

I´m talking about island projects like the Globe, The Palm, etc..

Dubai is only four hour flight (direct) to Bangkok.

:o

Maybe not a solution, but mayhap inspiration...

All advice welcome. Something I will check into. I now some of this stuff is common knowledge to you folks But I did not know anything about that. So thank you :D

I don't want to piss on your dream but working over 14 yrs in the Middle-East I have yet to meet an American (or European) electrician. It seems that the majority of electricians over here are asians from Filipines, India etc.

Sure there's white guys working as "electrician" but then you're talking about graduated electrical engineers with loads of experience in their field. As soic mentioned you could try out with KBR in Iraq cause that's about the only company that will hire an american tradesman due to security clearance issues etc.

I agree that your best bet would be to try out with one of the drilling companies in any position available.

I don't want to piss on your dream but working over 14 yrs in the Middle-East I have yet to meet an American (or European) electrician. It seems that the majority of electricians over here are asians from Filipines, India etc.

Sure there's white guys working as "electrician" but then you're talking about graduated electrical engineers with loads of experience in their field. As soic mentioned you could try out with KBR in Iraq cause that's about the only company that will hire an american tradesman due to security clearance issues etc.

I agree that your best bet would be to try out with one of the drilling companies in any position available.

I am currently checking in with kbr and I probably stand a good chance with my military background. But I am really trying to get on the rigs. Thanks :o

I am currently checking in with kbr and I probably stand a good chance with my military background. But I am really trying to get on the rigs. Thanks :o

I sympathise with you I worked for years off shore and built up a nest egg to retire early then at 45 my ex wife showed her true colours and to cut a long story short I lost all the nest egg and assets and walked away to start again . Luckily no on going monthly commitments a clean if not tramatic break ,but now I have a great life with a new family started from scratch actually with debts less than scratch . It takes 5 years to get level again then build up from there ...as for retiring early I have forgotten it and wish to work as long as possible ...that can be achieved in Thailand ... if that is what you want . Do not give up hope you can climb back and I have learnt like many others on the forum a measure of ones worth or of ones life or achievements is not only cash ...my values were always cash! cash! cashand cash! ...now I only put 1 cash in the success measure..

I sympathise with you I worked for years off shore and built up a nest egg to retire early then at 45 my ex wife showed her true colours and to cut a long story short I lost all the nest egg and assets and walked away to start again . Luckily no on going monthly commitments a clean if not tramatic break ,but now I have a great life with a new family started from scratch actually with debts less than scratch . It takes 5 years to get level again then build up from there ...as for retiring early I have forgotten it and wish to work as long as possible ...that can be achieved in Thailand ... if that is what you want . Do not give up hope you can climb back and I have learnt like many others on the forum a measure of ones worth or of ones life or achievements is not only cash ...my values were always cash! cash! cashand cash! ...now I only put 1 cash in the success measure..

Thank you , :D you sound like a wise man. So how do you get by in Thailand?

Check out www.rigzone.com, probably one of the best sites regarding drilling etc.

They've got a career center as well where you upload your cv and it'll give you an idea what's on offer.

Check out www.rigzone.com, probably one of the best sites regarding drilling etc.

They've got a career center as well where you upload your cv and it'll give you an idea what's on offer.

Thanks I am on rigzone and quite a few others. I do not have very much experience with DC Motors so is hard to get a job as rig electrician. But I am willing to take lesser job to get a start. From what I hear you have to know someone. At my age anyway. I know I am not to old but I am on the high end of what they are looking for. And on top of that no exp. On rigs. :D