Laos Workers

Hi. Anyone know anything about hiring (legally) Laos workers? Difficult to find reliable help in my neck of the woods. I'd like to have a husband/wife team if I could find them and figure out how to get them legally.

Thai workers are emotional babies, lazy unreliable and can't take care of themselves. Laos workers any different?? I have heard that they are.

Thanks.

Well as hiring illegally, It can incur a fine of about 50,000 Baht. In our neck of the woods, we use Burmese, they need passports, and a work permit. As with us they have to do a 90 day report. Our family are Mon, and they're very good.

Well as hiring illegally, It can incur a fine of about 50,000 Baht. In our neck of the woods, we use Burmese, they need passports, and a work permit. As with us they have to do a 90 day report. Our family are Mon, and they're very good.

Sorry misread the legally It does involve some running around, labour department doctors etc. When they get the paperwork, take the original and give them a copy. In case they decide to look elsewhere.

My experience is with Cambodians. It can be done, here the cheapest way is without a passport, but they have to go back to the border every week for a new stamp, and they cant leave the area. If they go the passport route then they end up doing the 90 day reporting as Mosha says. The Cambodians are good workers compared to Thais but I feel most of the reason for this is that they know they can be booted out quick smart whereas the Thais, its no skin off their nose if they don't work. The only way they will work around here is for piece rates ie so much per tree or per rai and the rate is always high so they end up earning twice or more day labour rates. The other thing is I find the Thai male to be very inclined to ignore requests to do things a particular way, this is very annoying. Cambodians still require supervision though.

Thai companies near the Lao border reportedly prefer to pay Bt 300 a day for Lao workers than hire Thais because they are too lazy and quit at the drop of a hat, whereas the Lao workers need to hang on to the jobs. It's getting like the situation before the Second World War when businesses only wanted to hire Chinese immigrant workers because Thais were too lazy and would go back to the farm at harvest time. That's why we have the list of protected occupations which seems to be waived for Burmese, Lao and Cambodian workers.

On the illegal side Lao women are starting to show up in volume in bars and massage parlours in Bangkok. They blend in well because they pick up central Thai fast and look and sound just like Isaan people. The establishments pay the cops Bt 1,000 a head deducted from their salaries and perhaps the odd freebie.

A few times we hired Burmese workers from Bangkok. Their work ethic is certainly higher than Thai labour. The call of Bangkok proved a greater lure than my bonuses, blah, blah... Not one of them lasted more than a year, yet always left on friendly terms. Keeping their visas up to date is a must, as we had 2 visits from the provincial police. Pretty sure they were instigated by locals with out of joint noses.

Regards.

" When they get the paperwork, take the original and give them a copy. In case they decide to look elsewhere."

Or, alternatively, you can put them in chains......wai2.gif

Regards.

No it's so you can alert the labour department their reason to stay is no longer valid. They are registered to the Thai they work for. My wife sacked one who refused to renew his passport.

Edited by Mosha

A few times we hired Burmese workers from Bangkok. Their work ethic is certainly higher than Thai labour. The call of Bangkok proved a greater lure than my bonuses, blah, blah... Not one of them lasted more than a year, yet always left on friendly terms. Keeping their visas up to date is a must, as we had 2 visits from the provincial police. Pretty sure they were instigated by locals with out of joint noses.

Regards.

tbh around here The mom and shop people down the road, he's an ex police sergeant. They telephone up the road so the illegals are warned of a possible raid. Most folks use them for casual labour when their legal workers are busy with the rubber.

• Like 1

Sorry misread the legally It does involve some running around, labour department doctors etc. When they get the paperwork, take the original and give them a copy. In case they decide to look elsewhere.

In my corner of the world, the Burmese have no passports and certainly no work permit. As I gather, they work under local "official-protection". Those Burmese workers are in high-demand: They are actually still willing to do "Farm-Work". Very much opposed to the Thais. We live in a "boom-aerea" and the Thais prefer to work in "Resorts" and nothing less.

Interestingly enough, the road-checks by police (to generate Tea-Money) have practically vanished. I wonder why. Other sources of income ?

Cheers.

Your right gave up trying to employ Thais they are unreliable and cannot be trained

The word routine does not exist

I had a Phillipino man with me for 5/6 months

Talking no problem use initiative and good worker