True, C T H Battle For T V Top Spot

webfact

I've just had a nosey at CTH' other channels, and it looks decent. Plenty of movie channels and importantly they have fox sports which should cater for most of the other sports I watch on true.

I'm beginning to like what I read and hear now, fortunately I am in a house so should be ok as far as cabling goes, but not gloating as I will sympathise for those in condos that may not be able to get it.

Has anyone heard about sub prices for CTH? I saw before around Bt 800 a month being muted.

Similar to last post - my question is, is CTH cable only?

It's a right mess. If you want True, GMM & CTH, that seems to imply that you need 3 different boxes. Adaptors for switching between the boxes will be needed (in my uninformed opinion).

There was an article in the BP speculating that True might come to some sort of arrangement with CTH over EPL broadcasting. If it's anything like the spat over the World Cup - forget that.

I'm like Ratcatcher. I just want the BBC, CNN, F1 & Motogp & the EPL (bonus Euro Champions league). How many bloody providers are needed to provide that lot?

Our local cable system in Bangkok is switching to CTH (using 30 current channels so leaving 60 without box) now and offer box deposit of 500 baht for one but 1,800 baht for additional. Price on paid contract remains same but monthly cost to increase 20 baht (still under 400 baht). This is mostly a new source of programming for local cable systems, which will remain independent operators it appears. It is getting converter box into homes so pay-per-view can be charged (as will the the case for EPL games (one free per month to basic viewers).

It's all here khunken, buckshee

http://www.time4tv.com/2012/03/sky-sports-f1.html

That's a very interesting site - thanks for the heads up.

However, I'm not yet ready to view TV programs on the internet. I use True Online and while their service is good (far better than Visions), the bandwidth comes & goes & is not good enough to watch a football match. I got very frustrated with trying to watch last year's World Cup on the internet - just no comparison with cable TV.

• Like 2

I subscribe to neither, but just glad to see more competition between different companies which is good for the paying consumer as it provides more choice.

Does that include your Satellite TV Systems Co., Jon?

TV has come a long way here in Thailand. I can remember when the only English language programs was a movie once or twice a week on one of the Thai Army channels. To listen to the English sound track you had to turn on a radio! However, If the Muay Thai boxing started at Lumphini Stadium during the movie they switched to boxing so that you could not watch the end of the movie!. In 1994 IBC were the first licenced Satellite TV operator and offered me a good range of TV programs however when UBC (now renamed True Visions) took over package prices went up and then programs like BBC, MTV, MGM, disappeared only to reappear later at extra cost! With the introduction of HD TV as separate packages, I noticed that the broadcast quality of the existing channels was reduced by what appeared deliberate fuzzing of the picture. If this was a ploy to get subscribers to pay extra for HD TV programs, which are already received from Europe and the US by True Visions in HD only, it does not seem to have worked well as they are now going to broadcast the previously "fuzzed" programs only in HD. At least with CTH as stiff competition the monopoly is broken. Let us hope we get some better programs in the future at no extra cost, as a result.

• Like 1

Good there is more competition however for those in the rural areas who cannot get cable then CTH is of no use.

I will miss the EPL.

Unfortunately not much choice for those like me who want to watch English programs so as I live in a rural village in Isaan so I am stuck with True.

Well, and not for the first time in Thailand I am confused.

Todays news gives the CTH details..all about cable.

Yesterday it was posted on another topic that CTH was broadcasting via sattelite with posters asking about the nessesary reciever dishes and boxes.

So I still dont know,or able to plan for next seasons EPL. I cant see any cable being available in where I live in Chiang Mai and I doubt that Internet will suffice

I live in Bang Saray just outside Pattaya and after the final game of EPL season tomorrow, will ditch True.

I have a local cable for my wife's TV.

What are my options for next season?

Will my local cable company get CTH?

Should I buy a big satellite dish? What will this get me?

Not tech savvy enough to connect my TV to my TOT internet connection & maybe the connection would be too slow?

Will subscribe to anyone who broadcasts MLB other than the Yankees.

MLB.TV via the Internet...right now... $95 flat fee for the rest of the regular season.

All games, all teams, live or subsequent on demand.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?&c_id=mlb&affiliateId=mlbMENU

You just need halfway decent Internet connection for the video streaming.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

CTH is delivery via cable so you will need to have such access and a cable company providing that service - I suspect most such systems will become delivery systems if they continue as advertised. The cable box is required for this system as too many channels for direct TV tuners and the idea is to provide pay-per-view system which requires a box for money to be charged (and credit of customers/ID card will be required).

In post #7 in this thread, I posted a link to the CTH webpage that shows all their current affiliate local cable operators. The list appears to be only in Thai, but it is divided up by geographic region.

If your home isn't served by one of those companies, then I'm not sure what happens....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639984-true-c-t-h-battle-for-t-v-top-spot/?p=6409105

What has happened to the content of the History Channel on Truevisions after the "update" to HD ? There are only a few real history programs a week and the rest is garbage about renovating houses or antiques, pawn shops, pickers of junk yards, duck breeders, etc...It is unbelievable they call this all "History"

• Like 1

In post #7 in this thread, I posted a link to the CTH webpage that shows all their current affiliate local cable operators. The list appears to be only in Thai, but it is divided up by geographic region.

If your home isn't served by one of those companies, then I'm not sure what happens....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639984-true-c-t-h-battle-for-t-v-top-spot/?p=6409105

You call your local cable operator and request they provide I suspect is the current answer to that question - that many have none is another matter. As long term plans seem to be as provider of cable to home (internet/iptv and such) suspect they will take over most such systems in time if all goes to plan.

CTH is delivery via cable so you will need to have such access and a cable company providing that service - I suspect most such systems will become delivery systems if they continue as advertised. The cable box is required for this system as too many channels for direct TV tuners and the idea is to provide pay-per-view system which requires a box for money to be charged (and credit of customers/ID card will be required).

So what does this apply too lop

Posted 2013-05-16 01:39:00

Hi guys, CTH has been launched on Vinasat 2 at 131.8°E

11510 V 30000

11548 V 30000
11588 V 30000
11628 V 30000
11669 V 30000
all most 100 channels including 9 HD channels, most of the channels are free to air at the moment. Cheers

I like the sound of the 34 HD channels with CTH smile.png

You need to buy a digital receiver though. Here in Phuket KPP Cable quoted 2,000 for the unit & then they reckon 350 a month for 150 channels including EPL.

KPP does not appear to be on the list of companies but they certainly buy content from CTH so let's wait and see.

NB for the poster that was happy about the number of movie channels may not be happy to know that they are nearly all dubbed into Thai.

What has happened to the content of the History Channel on Truevisions after the "update" to HD ? There are only a few real history programs a week and the rest is garbage about renovating houses or antiques, pawn shops, pickers of junk yards, duck breeders, etc...It is unbelievable they call this all "History"

Yeah. Turn on the TV just about anytime of the day & you will see one of those aforementioned programmes. None of them seem to bear any relation to history.

• Like 1

Good evening viewers.

For starters I am Australian, from Melbourne, I am an Australian Football fan so the Australia Network Channel is a must have for any Aussie Expat. I have a large black Dynasat Dish on my roof so as to receive PAS, or, Intel Sat 8 at 168E on the C Band, but during the rainy season, with heavy clouds I still sometimes lose signal. So I need BACKUP!

OK. Where to begin. Local Cable operators are all over Thailand. Often, many people, including Thais, don't even realise they have it available to them, and after 20 years of being spoilt by tapping into the UBC/True Cable Network using cheap IRDETO decoding boxes bought at Ban Mor and getting a large part of the UBC channel list for free. Of course we all know what happened to that lot when True finally caught up with the rest of the world and introduced Videoguard. This sent most thais I know into a flat spin as the now useless boxes ended up in the trash.

In my area of Bangkok, my Local Cable supplier is a mob called J Cable. This is the service you will often find being used in Guesthouses Etc. around the Kingdom. (CTH has obviously taken all these providers over). Originally, the Coax (Analogue) comes straight in off the street and into the back of your TV, then you just do a channel scan on your TV as you would with a normal FTA Service. You could also run as many points as you liked by using a standard garden variety splitter. But all that just changed this month too.

A few weeks ago I received in the mail, in Thai, 4 x A4 pages outlining the changes and the introduction of a new Digital Service Requiring a set top Box. Even though the old analogue system will still work for a lot of Channels such as Fox News, BBC, Al Jazeera, Universal, Syfy and others. For now at least.

But last night as I was watching the Australia Network, right before my eyes, they re-scanned their system and moved the Australia Network over to the Digital Service and put me off the air! No set top box. No Australia Network. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So today I went to J Cable's Office to get the scoop on what was going on. Why leave FOX, BBC, AJ etc., on the old analogue service and move the Aust Network to the Digital one requiring a box? Being paranoid, I took this personally. Like they did this just to piss me off. hehehehe.

I was paying 1000 Baht per QUARTER for the analogue cable service and was happy with that. Now I have the Set Top Box which they gave me for nothing today, but now I pay 1,125 Per Quarter. No big deal. It is HDMI, HD capable, EPL etc., and the signal and picture quality is quite good. But the problem I have now is that you can only have one box and ONE point in the house!

Anyway I am working on that. I will get another Box from somewhere.

I expect CTH will move more channels over to Digital as it forces more subscribers onto the System Requiring their own branded Set Top Box.

and to top it off the reception of the Australia Network from CTH's new, you beaut, 'sh*t hot',. Digital Set Top Box is crap! Intermittent, pixelated, stuttering.

I have sent them an email but won't expect much in reply

this is crap!!!!!

BEWARE, you should try before you buy/subscribe

NOT HAPPY!!!

Whatever happened to the old adage - If it aint broke........

Edited by cpofc

Since my viewing is limited to BBC, CNN, Star Sports (Formula 1) Fox Sports and EPLwhat are my options?

Satellite connection BTW in Pathumthani area.

I have gold for 2 channels mostly BBC and 109. Since the last change, I just can't be bothered to search around for them.

Now I am grumpy! Cloud cover in Bangkok has negated my Sat Dish Reception from Intel Sat 19 C Band, and since CTHs takeover of my local cable provider and has moved the Australia Network Channel over to their new Digital Service, from analogue, requiring extra money and a set top box, the piss poor reception is so bad as to make it unwatchable. I am trying to watch the AFL game from Melbourne at the moment and it's next to useless.

I only subscribe to this mob for this one channel and because of their GREED and incompetence I cannot watch it. If you read this, you morons, put the Aus network back to Analogue, for Buddhas sake!

Looks like I may have to invest in a bigger and better C Band Dish,

CTH you have a big thumbs down from me. I better not say anymore I would be banned if I could put into writing what I am thinking at the moment!