Bill Gates Reclaims Title Of Richest Person In The World

webfact

"Gates has donated 28 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charity working largely in poor countries to improve health and education."

I have a lot of respect for Bill Gates due to the above line. Most rich people don't give too sh_t's about the poor.

What I find even more remarkable is the "Giving Pledge" that Bill and Melinda Gates organized with Warren Buffett: they have started an effort to get the super rich to commit at least 50% of their wealth to philanthropy and are reportedly working to expand the list of people who have made the pledge to the mega wealthy all over the world. Even if one wants to argue - not unreasonably - that it's easy to be generous when you still have remaining far more money than you'll ever need, it's still a really fine thing to do that they simply didn't have to and it could make a real difference...

So far the following folks have signed on:

*Snipped*

That's worth a minimum of something like $125 billion if they come through.

Crikey, that's a lot of letter writing for me.

Yeah, I figure they could each give me $50,000 grand and it wouldn't make the tiniest bit of difference in their life - they wouldn't even know it if it fell out of their pocket - but I'd never have to work again. And they'd still have plenty left over for somewhat less important stuff like feeding starving children and such.

For a PP Pedant, I'm assuming you meant $50,000 or $50 grand, since $50,000 grand would be $50Million...and I think even they would notice that falling out of their pockets. ;-) Have you been out-pedanted?? ;-)

"Gates has donated 28 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charity working largely in poor countries to improve health and education."

I have a lot of respect for Bill Gates due to the above line. Most rich people don't give too sh_t's about the poor.

What I find even more remarkable is the "Giving Pledge" that Bill and Melinda Gates organized with Warren Buffett: they have started an effort to get the super rich to commit at least 50% of their wealth to philanthropy and are reportedly working to expand the list of people who have made the pledge to the mega wealthy all over the world. Even if one wants to argue - not unreasonably - that it's easy to be generous when you still have remaining far more money than you'll ever need, it's still a really fine thing to do that they simply didn't have to and it could make a real difference...

So far the following folks have signed on:

*Snipped*

That's worth a minimum of something like $125 billion if they come through.

Crikey, that's a lot of letter writing for me.

Yeah, I figure they could each give me $50,000 grand and it wouldn't make the tiniest bit of difference in their life - they wouldn't even know it if it fell out of their pocket - but I'd never have to work again. And they'd still have plenty left over for somewhat less important stuff like feeding starving children and such.

For a PP Pedant, I'm assuming you meant $50,000 or $50 grand, since $50,000 grand would be $50Million...and I think even they would notice that falling out of their pockets. ;-) Have you been out-pedanted?? ;-)

Well, it was an oversight that I noticed right away but the iPad app isn't allowing me to edit properly - I actually tried to change it and wound up with a duplicate post...

So if I have been outpedantilized it's only due to a technical malfunction.

• Like 1

I see the tin foil hats are having a revival clap2.gifcoffee1.gif

oooh goody, where are they?

Towards the top of the page...

Nah! F430murci is entirely entitled to his opinion and even if it is different to the truth he does not deserve to be labeled with a tin foil hat as that would be in direct contravention of his rights under the First Amendment . He is entitled to speak without such labeling! ;)