5 Year Visit Visa U.k.

They are intended to those who can demonstrate they have a need to regularly travel to the UK, and whilst they are certainly obtainable I wouldn't call the process "easy peasy".

Certainly it negates the need for future applications and whilst it does protect you against price increases you really need to regularly visit During the term of the visa to make it cost effective.

Also bear in mind that if you pay the fee for a two, five or ten year visa and the ECO only decides to issue a six month visa then there is no refund.

If you've had two short ones and you've been married a while just go for the 10 year in that case!

How does the Thai MFA handle expired (5 year) Thai passports that still have a valid 10-year UK visit visa in it?

The amazingly clever, stunningly beautiful and incredibly talented Mrs NL has synchronized her current (third) 2-year UK visit visa with her Thai passport expiration. She could apply for a new 5-year UK visit visa on her new Thai passport next year or could try for a 10-year one. This thread indicates that getting a 10-year visit could be quite easy for her being married, frequent visitor and all. Just wondering how the Thai bureaucracy handles valid UK visas in expiring Thai passports... or how the UKBA treats them as well?

Edited by NanLaew

The visa remains valid even if the passport has expired, all you need to do is carry the expired passport containing the visa when you travel and present both at the border.

You can get the vignette transferred to the new passport but there is a fee, and it's really not necessary.

As far as the Thai passport is concerned, and I can only speak for my partners experience, the old passport was returned stamped "cancelled" on the first page.

They are intended to those who can demonstrate they have a need to regularly travel to the UK, and whilst they are certainly obtainable I wouldn't call the process "easy peasy".

Certainly it negates the need for future applications and whilst it does protect you against price increases you really need to regularly visit During the term of the visa to make it cost effective.

Also bear in mind that if you pay the fee for a two, five or ten year visa and the ECO only decides to issue a six month visa then there is no refund.

The process was easypeasy for me and required nothing more than filling out the same form as the 6 month visa and ticking a box. I said we wanted to visit the UK a couple of times a year as we lived in Thailand and granted both times.

Why do you think its is more difficult?

Take the price of a six monther and compare how many trips you would need to make over 10 yers to make it pay for itself. BUT try putting a price on the ball ache of reapplying over 10 years! The cost is minor.

I dont know anyone who had had a 5 and 10 refused and I know atleast 15 couples who applied.

There's a good FOA request for someone who can be arsed.....ask the embssy how many have been refused against how many granted.

The thing is with this forum, its all fear....hardly anyone every gets refused for visas.

If you've had two short ones and you've been married a while just go for the 10 year in that case!

How does the Thai MFA handle expired (5 year) Thai passports that still have a valid 10-year UK visit visa in it?

The amazingly clever, stunningly beautiful and incredibly talented Mrs NL has synchronized her current (third) 2-year UK visit visa with her Thai passport expiration. She could apply for a new 5-year UK visit visa on her new Thai passport next year or could try for a 10-year one. This thread indicates that getting a 10-year visit could be quite easy for her being married, frequent visitor and all. Just wondering how the Thai bureaucracy handles valid UK visas in expiring Thai passports... or how the UKBA treats them as well?

Jist attach the old to the new passport, no issue at all. YOu can pay to transfer it but the immigrtion officer told herindoors why waste the money!

The process was easypeasy for me and required nothing more than filling out the same form as the 6 month visa and ticking a box. I said we wanted to visit the UK a couple of times a year as we lived in Thailand and granted both times.

There's a good FOA request for someone who can be arsed.....ask the embssy how many have been refused against how many granted.

The thing is with this forum, its all fear....hardly anyone every gets refused for visas.

I didn't say it was difficult I just don't think is is generally "easy peasy", though gladly it was in your case.

The UKBA do consider the need for a long lerm visa when assessing the application:

We recommend that you limit your stay to the period stated on your visa application. If you spend long periods in the UK as a visitor, our officers may doubt your intentions.

If you breach the conditions of your entry to the UK, we may ban you from returning for up to 10 years.

If you apply for a long-term visit visa, we consider:

• whether you can show a frequent and sustained need to come to the UK (such as family links or an established business connection);
  • whether your personal circumstances are likely to change significantly while the visa is valid - so you should give us as much evidence as possible that your circumstances will remain the same;
  • whether you have shown that you can support yourself in the UK without public funds, and that you intend to leave the UK at the end of each visit; and
  • your previous travel history as shown in a current valid passport.

You should think carefully before applying for a long-term visit visa. We may refuse the visa or issue it for a shorter period than you have applied for (if, for example, the evidence that you provide does not support a long-term visit visa application, or does not meet the visa requirements). If we refuse the application or issue the visa for a shorter period, we will not refund your application fee.

When you say FOA, I'm assuming you mean a Freedom of Information, there's no need as the UKBA regularly publish the details of the number of applications and the percentage approved/refused. I will agree that a genuine and well prepared applcation will succeed and that the number of refusals are in the minority, but people do get refused for all categories of visa.

I certainly don't agree that this forum is based on fear, I don't know how long you have been posting on Thai Visa, but there are a number of knowledgeable people offering advice here, and many people have been successfully assisted through the visa application process.

a

I didn't say it was difficult I just don't think is is generally "easy peasy", though gladly it was in your case.

The UKBA do consider the need for a long lerm visa when assessing the application:

>>>We recommend that you limit your stay to the period stated on your visa application. If you spend long periods in the UK as a visitor, our officers may doubt your intentions.

If you breach the conditions of your entry to the UK, we may ban you from returning for up to 10 years.

If you apply for a long-term visit visa, we consider:

• whether you can show a frequent and sustained need to come to the UK (such as family links or an established business connection);
  • whether your personal circumstances are likely to change significantly while the visa is valid - so you should give us as much evidence as possible that your circumstances will remain the same;
  • whether you have shown that you can support yourself in the UK without public funds, and that you intend to leave the UK at the end of each visit; and
  • your previous travel history as shown in a current valid passport.

You should think carefully before applying for a long-term visit visa. We may refuse the visa or issue it for a shorter period than you have applied for (if, for example, the evidence that you provide does not support a long-term visit visa application, or does not meet the visa requirements). If we refuse the application or issue the visa for a shorter period, we will not refund your application fee.

When you say FOA, I'm assuming you mean a Freedom of Information, there's no need as the UKBA regularly publish the details of the number of applications and the percentage approved/refused. I will agree that a genuine and well prepared applcation will succeed and that the number of refusals are in the minority, but people do get refused for all categories of visa.

I certainly don't agree that this forum is based on fear, I don't know how long you have been posting on Thai Visa, but there are a number of knowledgeable people offering advice here, and many people have been successfully assisted through the visa application process.

Ok you have it placed somewhere between difficult and easy - can you convey your reasoning a little more clearly?

• whether you can show a frequent and sustained need to come to the UK (such as family links or an established business connection); HE HAS FAMILY - THATS EASY TO DEMONSTRATE
  • whether your personal circumstances are likely to change significantly while the visa is valid - so you should give us as much evidence as possible that your circumstances will remain the same; HE LIVES OVERSEAS WITH HIS WIFE AND HAS DONE FOR SOME TIME. EASY TO PROVE/
  • whether you have shown that you can support yourself in the UK without public funds, and that you intend to leave the UK at the end of each visit; and HECAN PRINT HSI BANK STATEMENT, EASILY DONE
  • your previous travel history as shown in a current valid passport. HIS MRS HAS BEEN THERE TWICE, EASILY PROVEN

Yes, a typo - well spotted. Do you know how many 5 and 10 year visas in BKK are refused?

There is a HUGE amout of fear and concern expressed on this forum. I have only been reading, to be fair very few posts.And I agree 100% many people have been assisted.

Fact remains there is an awful lot of bickering and custard pie fights on this forum, which the reader has to navigate through.

Edited by sjohnson1234

OK enough is enough, I'm going to draw a line under this now.

For the sake of the OP, yes you can apply for a longer term visitors visa if you can satisfy the ECO that you are a genuine and regular visitor to the UK and that your circumstances justify such a visa being issued.

The details are in the drop down box at the bottom of the page following this link. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/apply/

The question has been answered - Topic Closed/