Iran's Ahmadinejad To Join Thai ' Water Summit'

webfact

Iran's Ahmadinejad to join Thai 'water summit'

549px-Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad_%28Brazil_2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad 2009

File photo, source: Wikipedia.org

BANGKOK, May 17, 2013 (AFP) - Iran's firebrand President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will address a forum on water security in Thailand next week, an embassy official said on Friday, just weeks before he stands down from the post.

His scheduled appearance in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai from Sunday comes as Iran gears up for elections and as world powers press the Islamic republic over its suspected nuclear program and support for the Syrian regime.

Ahmadinejad, who is constitutionally barred from seeking a third straight term in next month's polls, is set to join regional leaders at the Asia-Pacific Water Summit, which will focus on water security and climate change.

"He will arrive on Sunday (May 19) in Chiang Mai," an Iranian embassy official in Bangkok told AFP, requesting anonymity.

Ahmadinejad -- who has irked the West since taking office in 2005 with his defiance of nuclear inspectors, fierce criticism of the US and Israel and tough response to opposition protests -- is set to address the summit on Monday.

The race for Iran's highest elected office has intensified since former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani and top nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili officially registered for the June 14 election.

Ahmadinejad has endorsed his controversial aide and ex-chief of staff Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei.

Nuclear talks between Iran and the UN atomic agency failed to reach a breakthrough yet again Wednesday, as the top US diplomat in separate six-party negotiations warned Washington's patience was wearing thin.

Iran has also come under pressure over the conflict tearing apart its close-ally Syria and has repeatedly rejected calls for foreign intervention in the increasingly brutal war.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-05-17

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing I like about him is he sticks by his prinsables (no matter how low, non existent or wrong people may think/know them to be) that is more than many politisions, business people and alround individuals do, offer most a brown bag and they forget what there original goal was/is.

• Like 1

They hand out Visas to anyone now

You got one, so why not to a democratically elected leader of a country??:coffee1:

"democratically elected" - that's a good one.

Fact is that the "Guardian Council", an ultra-orthodox islamic committee comprised of 6 mullahs (or similar) and 6 lawyers/judges decides which handful of candidates is admitted to run for president. Usually less than 1% of those who hand in their "application" survive this "screening". In the 2009 election campaign it was a measly 4 of almost 500 candidates. Ah, the fresh air of democracy.

By the way, Iran is an "Islamic Republic" not a democracy.

If you want to split hairs, the USA is also a republic, not a democracy. In fact, I can't think of a true democracy in the last 1000 years, unless you count the Knights of the Round Table.
Very well said. I very rarely see/ hear people come out with how it really is . There are others who aren't blind after all.
  • Like 2

They hand out Visas to anyone now

You got one, so why not to a democratically elected leader of a country??coffee1.gif

"democratically elected" - that's a good one.

Fact is that the "Guardian Council", an ultra-orthodox islamic committee comprised of 6 mullahs (or similar) and 6 lawyers/judges decides which handful of candidates is admitted to run for president. Usually less than 1% of those who hand in their "application" survive this "screening". In the 2009 election campaign it was a measly 4 of almost 500 candidates. Ah, the fresh air of democracy.

By the way, Iran is an "Islamic Republic" not a democracy.

If you want to split hairs, the USA is also a republic, not a democracy. In fact, I can't think of a true democracy in the last 1000 years, unless you count the Knights of the Round Table.

You took the time to alter my post yet you did not find the time to read it. I said "islamic republic". I don't think that the USA qualify for that label.

Wow, that's interesting... Thailand such a country where US has influence, and now Iranian president visiting Thailand?

I believe that next decades wars will be about Water instead of Oil.

It has already started in fact: Libya.

Libya was about to finish one of the worlds greatest man made water projects in the middle of the desert. now it's all destroyed and many libyan small towns are struggling to get fresh water.

Water is a resource that the middle east is working hard to secure and western main corporations to monopolize.

The things you don't see on the main-stream news media...

He has twice visited the USA, so why not Thailand?

"His scheduled appearance in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai from Sunday comes as Iran gears up for elections and as world powers press the Islamic republic over its suspected nuclear program and support for the Syrian regime."

'Suspected' nuclear program?? Really?

I am amazed he's coming. God forbid he has a bad fall down some stairs or something.

Watch this space. You think the Thais can provide proper security? Also aren't there meant to 50k protesters in Bangkok?

50k protesters in Bangkok - will they be travelling to Chiang Mai? Thailand has been pretty good at providing security for most of the top of the heap characters, except perhaps Seh Daeng.

Edited by aguy30

Wow, that's interesting... Thailand such a country where US has influence, and now Iranian president visiting Thailand?

I believe that next decades wars will be about Water instead of Oil.

It has already started in fact: Libya.

Libya was about to finish one of the worlds greatest man made water projects in the middle of the desert. now it's all destroyed and many libyan small towns are struggling to get fresh water.

Water is a resource that the middle east is working hard to secure and western main corporations to monopolize.

The things you don't see on the main-stream news media...

He has twice visited the USA, so why not Thailand?

Don't tell them that, you'll leave them with nothing else to find wrong with the country!