Jellyfish Warning For Phuket Waters

webfact

Jellyfish warning for Phuket waters
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1368784864_1.jpg
Box jellies - potentially deadly

PHUKET: -- The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) has warned that the onset of the southwest monsoon weather is likely to drive jellyfish into Phuket’s waters, including several types known to be poisonous.

The DMCR announced, “Our records show no sightings or encounters this year of these jellyfish in the waters around Phuket, but just in case we have erected warning signs at 11 beaches along the west coast of the island that are most likely to be affected.

“These are Nai Yang, Patong (two places), Racha Yai, Naithon, Bangtao, Surin, Kamala, Kata, Karon and Nai Harn.

“It should be noted that the jellyfish might appear at other beaches.”

The DMCR believes that seven species of jellyfish could pose a danger to swimmers.

Of these, Tripedalia cystophora and Chiropsella are venomous but not likely to cause death.

The others are four types of box jelly – Chiropsoides buitendijki, Carybdea sivickisi, Chironex sp. A and Chironex sp. B – and Morbakka fenneri, first identified five years ago, and highly venomous.

“We have briefed life guards and local people on first aid for jelly fish poisoning.”

The DMCR has also issued an information sheet (download here) giving first aid advice, primarily to use vinegar to neutralise the venom. Lacking vinegar, any mildly acidic liquid (lime juice, perhaps or, in extremis, urine) can be used.

The DMCR is to hold public briefings on jellyfish (Thai language only) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (May 20-23) from 9am to midday, at the Public Health Office on Narison Rd in Phuket Town.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/jellyfish-warning-for-phuket-waters-39452.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-17

I get stung every year about this time and they are tiny buggers! I call them no see um's! I certainly hope I don't run in to a real box jelly. I have seen some other larger jellies over the years that I know I wouldn't want to run into either!

Edited by Jimi007

I get stung every year about this time and they are tiny buggers! I call them no see um's! I certainly hope I don't run in to a real box jelly. I have seen some other larger jellies over the years that I know I wouldn't want to run into either!

The DMCR information sheet fails to say it is vital to identify the creature involved as if it is a Portuguese Man-O-War then the first aid procedure given will not help it will make things worse.

the man o war will sting ...quite painfully......but if this concerns you then I suggest you do some research before putting you big toe in to the water again. The box jellyfish Chironex fleckeri will kill you..rapidly. (I copped one on the ankle...not much fun ) Thankfully this particular stinger wasn't mentioned in the article but its relatives were...only a matter of time maybe. The tiny Irukandji can also be lethal...though not in my daughters case thank god.. This was in an area patrolled by lifeguards AND regularly dragged with the net.

Please be aware that you are in a tropical environment and things maybe quite different to what you are used to.

I attended a first aid training yesterday run by a respected local private hospital. When we came to the subject of jellyfish stings the comment was that human urine was not proven to be of any use on such stings. I am sure that I had seen advice that it does work. Can anyone direct me to some empirical evidence either way?

Nasty as no doubt these things are, it needs to be kept in perspective. Australia, which has loads of these buggers has reported around 63 deaths since 1884!!! That is less than one person a year.

Whereas, if you look at the USA, 50 people or more die every year from allergic reactions to insect bites/stings.

Edited by Briandajew