Questions About Long Term Stay , Housing, Motor Bike

Billpro785

Hello all,

Planning on staying in Chiang Rai 6 months, starting in June. Looking for a apartment or maybe even small house to rent. Nothing fancy, away from the city would be ok too. Only requirement would be decent internet. Second question, would it be better to buy a used motor bike, or rent for long-term ?

Plan on touring the golden triangle area , and would use Chiang Rai as base.

Thanks !!

there are many places for rent in Chiang Rai depending on your budgets and preferences....here is a listing of some cheapie places to at least give you an idea...if I were you I would stay at a guesthouse for the first week or so ...someplace like baan bua or orchids just off jed yod road....about 300-400 baht a night and right in middle of town where if you like you can meet some of the local expats and get their advice/ideas ......ride a motorbike around and decide which part of town or area you like and then find an apartment accordingly....lots of choices......best weather in CR is about mid sept to about mid feb.....nov, dec, jan almost perfect weather and lots of festivals etc going on then......jun/jul/aug hot and can be rainy but certainly better than mar/apr/may when it is hot as hell and you get smoke especially mar/april...

http://chiangrai.thaiapartments.net/

when I first came to CR I bought a nice used but almost new motorbike for 26,000 baht and suspect I could have sold it six months later for almost the same but just kept it as it is a good one...motorbike place I used was DH which is near the military nursery near den ha...but there are many many places selling new and used bikes all over the area.....I believe the DH guy even offered to make a deal to buy the bike back from me six months later for 20 k if I wanted...

anyway...welcome to CR ....I suspect that like many of us who have lived other places in Thailand that you may get hooked on the place....don't come expecting pattaya or Bangkok style nightlife and learn to enjoy nature and the scenic beauty of the area along with some very nice local thais who mostly still find farangs to be a bit amusing and a novelty....take advantage of travelling around the CR area as there is a lot of really exotic stuff to see and do.....if you do need a "big city fix" Bangkok is a short flight away or chiang mai is three hours on a bus.....

• Like 1

A post containing a link to another forum has been removed:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Thanks for the reply. Looked into getting a certificate of residence, seems easy to do. Have decidced , Chiang Rai is where I want to live for next 6 months. Looking forward to the it.

welcome to CR ...it really truly is a special place...

star_big.png

POPULAR

walking along chiang rai beach on a cool december mornin

watching the rice harvest in mid november from my deck

watching the morning "rush hour" with Thais bundled up on their motorcys like they are going to the artic

watching the afternoon market being set up

buying fruits and veggies at some of the lowest prices on earth from roadside pickup truck markets

watching the gem boat guys sifting through gravel in the mae kok

watching thai kids ride their bikes with their dog following along

watching the young monks doing their morning rounds

riding my motorbike along the mae kok with no traffic in sight

watching the total chaos of saturday shopping at big C

eating fantastic food at give away prices at many CR restaurants

attending the annual chiang rai flower festival

planting a variety of plants/trees in my yard and being amazed at how fast they grow

watching the neighbors get all excited about killing and cooking a snake

walking around downtown chiang rai on a cool clear december morning

having a cold beer in the garden area of peace bar

taking visitors for a tour of the Red Rose Hotel

watching the light show at the clock tower

watching the hustle and bustle of the night market and the mix of thais and tourists

riding the "refugee bus" from chiang rai to mae sai and seeing what kind of characters show up

buying exotic plants at nurseries that would cost a fortune in the west for a few baht

watching the thai high schools students hanging out and goofing around after classes

having a pretty thai girl give me a big smile for no particular reason

having thai kids practice their limited "i am fine" english out on me

practicing my limited thai with thai kids and having them stare wide eyed at the farang before breaking into giggles

watching the beautiful orange blossoms appear throughtout chiang rai
  • Like 2