Moving To Samui With 2 Kids, Need Advices

Hi everybody,

I ve been willing to move to Thailand for the last years,and then always changed my mind at the last moment,with people telling me it was madness (which might be true in a way, but now decided to live what I want to live.) I need advices from people who did it already before me...

My situation is that I have 2 kids (aged 7.5 and 9), both french speaking (but just started english courses and smart!), Im by myself with them, but basically get a pension so wouldn t really need to work there (although I d rather do something). I ve been looking on the net about any school possibilities in Samui, and that s not very easy.

I ll be going to Mae Nam I reckon (if I can find a 3 bedroom house there)in september or october this year.I plan to employ somebody to help me in the house, does anybody know if it s easy to find somebody reliable, speakin english, and maybe with a driving license for that (or is it really a pipe dream?!)

Also, what kind of visa do we need? (we plan to stay between 6-8 months, for a start, and then we ll see what happens).

Any constructive advises?! :-) Thanks anyway to those who can help me on that one!

Hi Amila, and welcome to TV,

For practical advice on Thailand with children take a look at Thailand4Kids . It is written for families going on holiday but has a lot of basic information you will find useful.

With regards to visas, there are a number of requirements that need to be met, firstly as you are a single parent emmigrating with children you need to address parental permission to travel (Thailand4Kids has a chapter on that) secondly there is the visa itself.

Your children, as your dependents, will be given automatic visas, so long as you meet the visa requirements. There are a number of options, depending upon your age, nationality and how you want to stay in Thailand. I therefore think the question on visas should probably be best posted in the Visa Section. If you state more personal details there, you will get a more accurate answer.

Edited by GuestHouse

Hi Amila & welcome.

Re house situation,when you get here,you are better off staying in a hotel or seviced accomodation for a week or 2,whilst you can have a look at the accomodation available & it's suitability for your needs.

Re help,there is a couple of placement agencies which might be of assistance to you.

Re Visa, I strongly advise you to check with your local Thai Consulate.They will be able to give you the best advise.Remember you are talking about 3 visas not just one.With the case of the children attending school here, there could be some educational allowance in regards to their stay here(might be able to get one year visa for them).Again please check.

All the best & I hope it works out for you.

Another good site to check and ask about the school situation, (that is the most imprtant right?) is www.ajarnforum.net.

Do a search and you will find lots of information.

A good search term on Samui is:

school Samui -diving -cooking -kiteboarding -"thai boxing" -hotel -Phuket -properties -tourism -monkey -religion -buddhism -buddha -management -hospital

..Are you all living there?

Yes, as my Nick states I do live and work on Samui - Mae Nam Area, for quite some time now.

Try and get a multiple-one Years Visa, state that you have an Income/Pension, that should help.

There is a (Catholic) School (St.Johns) on Samui, a Dulwich College is in the making.

The house/rental/maid question shouldn't prove a big problem either. One bedroom houses are available from 7500.- to 12/3000 .p. Mth. most Thais can drive a motorcycle, some can drive a car, but a licence is something else...

There are for (private) Hospitals, there is a Tesco/Lotus, Pizza Company (Home Delivery Service), Pizza Hut, Mc Burger, Starbucks, Name it - the lot.

There is a (small) french Community (Bophut) on Samui.

Best is, if you want to stay here, come here and have a look for yourself!

Samui Forum:

Any further Questions?

Related question:

I'm currently looking for someone to help out with my little 14 month old terror. My wife will be spending the lionshare of her time in BKK attending school and it seems that living in with a farang male is scaring most people off. (everyone, it seems) As you might have figured out, I work nights, someone to take care of him late is essential, and I have work in the afternoons as well, making it a rather difficult sell for anyone but a live-in.

What should I expect to pay in Samui? (Choeng Mon) Thanks

Related question:

I'm currently looking for someone to help out with my little 14 month old terror. My wife will be spending the lionshare of her time in BKK attending school and it seems that living in with a farang male is scaring most people off. (everyone, it seems) As you might have figured out, I work nights, someone to take care of him late is essential, and I have work in the afternoons as well, making it a rather difficult sell for anyone but a live-in.

What should I expect to pay in Samui? (Choeng Mon) Thanks

There is a placement agency in Chaweng on the ring road, opposite the PTT service station.It is located next to budget & in the same office as Network Samui.

Another alternative is to look for an older live in maid/nanny.In some cases the village elder /chief can recommend someone.

Dulwich Shool is in the making for a few years. Will it ever be finsihed? Will it be better than the one on Phuket that got a lot of criticism, and was forced to drop the name because the low quality was a disgrace to the original Dulwich schools.. They had a lot of teachers with credentials from KSR. St.John isn't much better. At least if i can believe the few parents i spoke with, who withdraw there children and put them in a Thai government school in Nathon. Which was of a better quality. (That should be a big enough hint, unless you think root learning is superior). They had different reasons. Backpacker teachers, old teachers with something else in mind than teaching, etc. Main readon was the lower than normal education, and that for a relative high price.

Please research very good before making this decision.

At least try it for some time, not making the big plunge in one time. Don't burn bridges!

Edited by Khun Jean

I m very thankfull for all the advices here, really cool!I ll give a call to the thai consulate here tomorrow to know what the story is about visas, and if I got it well, the thai school in Nathon will be just good! ;-) I ll let you know anyway about the visa thing, I cross my fingers, hopefully get one which I can work with. Ye, that s another thing I wanted to ask you about. Although I could stay there with no real need to work, well, would rather do something in fact.do you think I have any chance to get a work there, having in my " luggage" 4 languages (french, english, german and italian)? Something like working in a shop maybe, or I don t know? My job here is body piercer :-) so I won t really need that there (saw too myny of my collegues there!) Well, if anyone of you wants one, I ll do it for free for all the good advices given here :o

Amila,

I don't want to bust any bubbles, but working here in Thailand is very difficult. Even for 'free' work you need a work permit. And many 'jobs' are restricted to Thai Nationals.

It is not impossible, but i think if you not really need it, then just find a hobby instead. (One that does not look like work, and keeps you from getting bored quickly.

If i understand correctly you want to go to Thailand on retirement. Are your 50 years or older?

I don't know if your children can come with you on such a visa. (non immigrant type 'o' visa)

If you don't want to do a border run every 90 days you need 800.000 baht in the bank, or the same amout in monthly income measured over 1 year. I heared the 800.000 in the bank is the smoothest way to apply for a visa and need the least amount of paperwork.

On this same website you can find a lot of visa information. I would research it very thoroughly before making any further plans. It might be different than you initially thought.

Good luck.

Amila,

I don't want to bust any bubbles, but working here in Thailand is very difficult. Even for 'free' work you need a work permit. And many 'jobs' are restricted to Thai Nationals.

It is not impossible, but i think if you not really need it, then just find a hobby instead. (One that does not look like work, and keeps you from getting bored quickly.

If i understand correctly you want to go to Thailand on retirement. Are your 50 years or older?

I don't know if your children can come with you on such a visa. (non immigrant type 'o' visa)

If you don't want to do a border run every 90 days you need 800.000 baht in the bank, or the same amout in monthly income measured over 1 year. I heared the 800.000 in the bank is the smoothest way to apply for a visa and need the least amount of paperwork.

On this same website you can find a lot of visa information. I would research it very thoroughly before making any further plans. It might be different than you initially thought.

Good luck.

I don t mind people bustin my bubbles, Khun Jean! That s why I m here for, actually, to get informations that are right, as I have no clue! Only thing I know is that whenever I come back from the place, I miss it deeply, because I like the people there, I like the food, I like the heat, and well, I just feel I got to do it once in my life, go there for a while, because it s been said everytime I come back and then I ve let people telling me I could never do anything like that, having two kids, that it s just a pipe dream and stuff. My mother says a saying that I actually like a lot "better to die with sorrows having done something wrong than die with regrets not having lived what you wanted to". So this time, I ll do it as I feel I could do it in a sensitive way (that pension I get will stop maybe soon, basically, in a year and a half or so), it s the last year I can do it "easily".)

I m 32 years old, not 50 yet!

I read a good bit what has been written here on the forum last night, seems you re saying things that might disturb people!!! :o Personnally, I like people saying those stuff too, coz it s reality, can t be all good, and if you actually get those infos, it might actually keep you out of trouble!

I m a big dreamer, I know that (all the people knowing me know that!), naive and sometimes to the extent "dizziness" (Queen Dizzy is my nick name!), wich is no danger here in my country (Switzerland), as the place is pretty safe, and well, you re not alone in your country. Stil, after a few.... "funny" experiences in Thailand (that were all my fault, like leaving 2000 euros in cash, in my bag in the bungalow, and then realising they got robbed!!! I spent 2 days in the bungalow resort s dump looking for my bin, coz I thought I could have thrown them in it! Imagine the pic, Queen Dizzy Farang with her flip flops on a bin hill, litterally, with a shocked face,freaked out looking for all her money. When people wud ask me what the f... i was doing, I didn t dare I was looking for so much money (was afraid that others would start looking too), so was just answering "oh, nooo... nothing special, just lost something insignificant... Do you know where they bring all the Samui s bin, BIG DUMP, I d like to give a look!!!!!!" (and no, I don t drink, don t do drugs, it s all natural!!! :D

The next day, coming back from the beach, I found the cleaning ladies looking in my stuff, in the room, so I stopped opening all the bins and understood I can t be there the way I am home, have to be carefull.

I got friends put in jail, friend swho got ripped off, others who got involved in big fights, and 2 years ago we ended up the fullmoon party with a guy crying on our shoulder, coz he had been raped...

So ye, being so naive, and though knowing that you have to be responsible, carefull, doesn t scare me but pushes me to come on forums like this one so I can really do what has to be done and stuff (especially with 2 kids, I can t let any big trouble happen. What could be seen as a shit experience but funny souvenirs after a few days when you re by yourself, could be a freaking disaster for kids.

Ok, so for the work it doesn t look easy then... well, I suppose I ll check it when there as well. For the visa, I ll call the consulate, but I do have the "required" amount monthly, so hopefully will work! Will let you know! And once again, thanks to you, Khun Jean, good to meet people like you to keep my eyes open a bit, I actually feel more safe! :D You re in Bangkok, now? What are you doing there?

I got friends

No problems reading your post. :o

Your age in this case, is not helping you for the visa.

Thailand does not really allow people to stay, unless you have a job with a workpermit, you're retired or have a Thai spouse. (I am in the last category).

Finding a job would be difficult, if not impossible. Teaching English is the most obvious one, but for that English must be your first language.

Starting a business, would be another option. Enough has been said about that.

Better start asking questions in the visa forum, knowledge can be found there.

No problems reading your post. :o

Your age in this case, is not helping you for the visa.

Thailand does not really allow people to stay, unless you have a job with a workpermit, you're retired or have a Thai spouse. (I am in the last category).

Finding a job would be difficult, if not impossible. Teaching English is the most obvious one, but for that English must be your first language.

Starting a business, would be another option. Enough has been said about that.

Better start asking questions in the visa forum, knowledge can be found there.

Just had the thai consulate on the phone, she said she will give me a one year multiple entries visa, for me and my kids, without any problem, just have to go there 15 days before leaving, basically. Cool...

yeah - tht involves regular border runs where you have to go to Myanmar or Malaysia regularly - works out to about $50 or so a trip, if you do it cheaply. The trips'll be every 3 months. It doesn't get any better than the 1 year multiple entry, unless you are around enough for residency....

yeah - tht involves regular border runs where you have to go to Myanmar or Malaysia regularly - works out to about $50 or so a trip, if you do it cheaply. The trips'll be every 3 months. It doesn't get any better than the 1 year multiple entry, unless you are around enough for residency....

Depending on your situation financially, the visa trips can be really enjoyable. I know some people look upon them as a chore, but my wife (Malay) and I used to find the trips a nice change from the norm. After all you're getting to do a visit to another country.

I think too that it can be very nice "having" to move! I mean, wait... here I am in Switzerland, and you know the way it feels when you re kind of "trapped" in your country, when you go to Asia once evry 2 years (because it s not possible to do it more often), and that you dream litteraly about Asia one night out of two (well now, it s every night!), is that really a nightmare imagining that you ll have to travel and discover more places on that planet, whether it s to get a visa or not? :o Have a guess!

I know that when my "house" will be there, I won t be idealising that much anymore, but stil, love to travel, so shouldn t be a hassle really! (if it got a hassle within eight months, please somebody kick my *** !!!!)

I ll see, but have to say I m really looking forward, as well because I feel the system here is like a big powerfull machine, that kind of washes your brain, makes you believe you cant leave, you need to buy stuff and even more stuff (esp when bein a girl), that you are nicely (coz it is a nice country, Switzerland)stucked in it. Whenever I travel, I feel I kind of wake up, feelin free, don t need to buy all the crap anymore, feelin a way I never do here. And when I come back, I know it lasts for a while, that feeling of freedom, when you feel you can do whatever you want (kind of) in your life, but after a while it blurs away and I turn into that kind of serious person again (and God knows swiss people are serious).

Hi amilia,

Well I should not be too negative but why moving to Koh Samui?

I have been living there for 1 and a half year and I have never had so much problem as you have in Samui! I am refering then to 4 years ago since I moved away from there then. If something have change let me know but this was like it was in year 2000-2002.

Everyone charge you more since you are a falang.

You gonna build/make something they charge you for sure much more.

People (thai) in Samui think they are the "biggest" on the island.

You open business and its going good, you WILL get a visit from the mafia. No cooperate we read about you in the paper.

Example, falang import carterpillars and other equipment and it is going good. The mafia whant their share and falang refuses. Falang found 3 days later with a hole in his head.

The following also happened , man start argue with "boss" and punch him one time. Man takes inside a house, police show up, "boss" speak with them and off they go. 20 min After "something" is put inside a car and driven off, and it is not moving. Police investigate a couple of days later nothing happened.

Land "for sale" in Samui is a good way to "laundry" your money, which of course many people do (falangs).

Everything is really expensive both land and house.

Sound negative, well this is what happened during my time there.

Sure I was then living in the "ruffest" areas in Samui but still.

But like Khun Jean said it is hard/difficult to have business. I recommend not to have business in Thailand and if you should -you should have something that focus on thai-people not for falang!

One more thing, if you hired someone to do something, house business or whatever ALWAYS use a cassette recorder -they say this and this but when you standing there later they "never" said anything like that -beware, always tape your conversations when doing business.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by MichaelShort

Hi amilia,

Well I should not be too negative but why moving to Koh Samui?

I have been living there for 1 and a half year and I have never had so much problem as you have in Samui! I am refering then to 4 years ago since I moved away from there then. If something have change let me know but this was like it was in year 2000-2002.

Everyone charge you more since you are a falang.

You gonna build/make something they charge you for sure much more.

People (thai) in Samui think they are the "biggest" on the island.

You open business and its going good, you WILL get a visit from the mafia. No cooperate we read about you in the paper.

Example, falang import carterpillars and other equipment and it is going good. The mafia whant their share and falang refuses. Falang found 3 days later with a hole in his head.

The following also happened , man start argue with "boss" and punch him one time. Man takes inside a house, police show up, "boss" speak with them and off they go. 20 min After "something" is put inside a car and driven off, and it is not moving. Police investigate a couple of days later nothing happened.

Land "for sale" in Samui is a good way to "laundry" your money, which of course many people do (falangs).

Everything is really expensive both land and house.

Sound negative, well this is what happened during my time there.

Sure I was then living in the "ruffest" areas in Samui but still.

But like Khun Jean said it is hard/difficult to have business. I recommend not to have business in Thailand and if you should -you should have something that focus on thai-people not for falang!

One more thing, if you hired someone to do something, house business or whatever ALWAYS use a cassette recorder -they say this and this but when you standing there later they "never" said anything like that -beware, always tape your conversations when doing business.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael!

Ye, seems you had a nice time there!!! :-) I cant really tell you if it has changed or not, as whenever I go there, I try my best to stay out of trouble, kind of live my life, quiet, reason why I didn t stay in Chaweng, last time. 2 days there and I went to Mae Nam. I know what you mean, though, and I reckon some things never change. I surely paid more than the thais, but at the same time, not that much (for me, there are the thai s prices, the prices for the farangs that are reasonnable, and the prices for the farangs that are a joke. I try to get the second option! I kind of understand that as foreigners, we get charged a bit more though when it comes to holidays times, it s annoyin in a way, but if I was thai, I d do the same... )

What is the (rough) place you were stayin in?

I chosed to get there, because... as I said before, I feel home kind of when there, difficult to describe why, but I love the thailand s heat, food, culture (the little bit that I know anyway), I like the way I feel when Im there. But of course, I might be all wrong, and regret getting there (who knows?) The thing is that for some things, you have to experience them to get them out of your head. "better live n die with regrets having done something, than sorrows not having done them" sounds pretty true to me. As long as I don t get involved in really big troubles, especially with two kids there. But I think, as well, that if you travel with kids and "stay on the right tracks", you don t get in troubles? (beside getting ripped off a bit maybe, which in my country, happens everyday when you see the prices and the taxes for everything somehow).

I am freaked out a bit, to be honest. But maybe that s what will keep me out of trouble til I understand what the story is there?

Where are you living now? Chiang Mai?

Well, problems do occur everywhere on the planet! wherever and whatever one is doing.

And then not everybody is fit for digging diamonds in angola, gold in the amazon, rubies in paillin or opals in coober pedy.

I on my behalf live and work for many years on samui and have yet not encountered any of such problems, sure diferent place, different people, different solutions are to be mastered.

I have always stuck to "the book", give people a smile, bee friendly, be open, be honest and respect the folks and their traditions, will always be the right attitude.

Next I tried to avoid confrontations wherever I could. Stay out of trouble is very important - samui belongs to the samuians - thailand to the thais - that's never to be forgotten!

There are certainly problem-areas such as the bar & entertainment scene, there where "the quick buck" is made - stay out of it and you live trouble free!

Next is the appropriate visa, and if working a work permit, if you run your own business make sure all the licenses are there! there is no other country on the planet where one can work with out the proper licenses, permits and visa.

not to mention anything illegal is an absolute no, no!

many people do hold jobs in the building, supervising, catering, teaching and tourismrelated industries and have - accept normal "problems", no complaints.

a few business people i know here on samui are doing very well and live without a gunbarrel next to their temple.

It is certainly possible, but anything stupid, ignorance, being misinformed or not at all, or an "I can do what I want" attitude - will surely bring trouble....

Alright, this of course don't happened to all falangs there. I just mean you have a lot of mafia influence and the police ain't helping you to much since they pay them off. You crash or whatever you pay. It's an island and they all know eachother. Mafia is involved in the construction business, or own the companies that do it.

And Amila, dont worry, probably nothing will happen to you, I had just give example of what can happen. Mae Nam is a quiet place (or was 4 years ago).

You open business it is like "Samuian" wrote. Dont open "illegally" also read his other tips.

" samui belongs to the samuians - thailand to the thais - that's never to be forgotten!" Sit back and accept everything and nothing happens.

Why should I pay 40 bath when thais pay 20? I live there, not a tourist. How can a "Samui" coconut be cheaper when I buy it in Bangkok or Chiang Mai than in Samui?

""I can do what I want" attitude" -I dont know , but I have never heard people say so much "falang think they king" as I heard in Samui, and that was to everyone. As I said before, for some reason almost every thai think they are the biggest there... There are exceptions of course and I also meet many decent people there to.

For sure you have this on places also i.e.Phuket it is not only Samui.

Samui is a beautiful island. Its to bad that the people there only whants money.

I heard that Samui had change a lot since I was there so all this maybe aint happening now, remember I talk about year 2000-2002.

I'm sure you will enjoy it there, better to do something with your life than just stay "home". Whatever happend you will not regret what you've done.

Now I live in CM and I had never had any problem with anything. Same prices at the market, friendly people. I had never had one who tried to ripp me off, and I have never regret my decision to move up here.

No beach -well I didnt went to the beach the last 6 month when I was living in Samui.

Cheers

Michael

Good on you Michael fair post.

Well, I must have lived on the moon , during my months in Samui.

I don't know what is with this trend on Samui forum, but I think lot's of people here post just the negative they found and rarely post the positive.

Is it because posting good things is considered "gay"? (j/k)

Yeah surely u happen to see those so called "mafia guys" on Samui, I ask you where on hearth you don't find them?

It looks like in Samui you are constantly harassed by a bunch of criminals knocking at your door for money. Rofl , watched too much movies lately or the last bag of ganja was too strong to handle? :o

I know at least 10 individuals who opened a business there and they never saw a "picciotto" (mafia guy) around their shops. some of them have been there more than 10 years, so , or they are stupid or they are masochist.

I' m sure on a "higher level" you'll have to compromise with the "local families", but, gees, is this lady going to open a new Tesco there or what?

Yeah , Samui people is a tough bunch, it doesn't take a genius to understand what the limit is and when to back off though. It's just common sense

They rip you off here, they rip you off there... well I was able to find a big hotel room with tv,a/c,new furniture, clean and well managed for a whopping 5000 baht a month...IN CHAWENG, IN SAMUI, ONE OF THE MOST BEATIFUL AND KNOWN TOURIST DESTINATION OF THE WORLD!!

Oh yes on the beach the corn is 30 baht instead of 10 baht..they grill their @ss on that beach the whole freaking day , up and down to bring you that slice of pineapple for CS.

At the end of the day it all depends on how fast you meet and connect with the right people on the island and how street smart you are.

The reason I left the island is that it was a bit boring for my taste...go figure.

Well Khun Marco, I go more with Samuian's view.Michael has another point of view as seen from the other side.As he said in previous post he lived in rough area & that is the impression he got.But he still didn't say don't go there.

AS realists,we must accept that there are people here only to make money & exploit the situation.As you said , be street smart, it can happen anywhere.

If one chooses to keeep their nose clean, abide by the rules & be fair,they will go a long way in living a more fullfilling life.There is good & bad in every society,town or city,it is how you learn & choose how to live your life.

As the old saying goes ( you make your bed you lie in it).

Edited by Rooo

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everybody,

I ve been willing to move to Thailand for the last years,and then always changed my mind at the last moment,with people telling me it was madness (which might be true in a way, but now decided to live what I want to live.) I need advices from people who did it already before me...

My situation is that I have 2 kids (aged 7.5 and 9), both french speaking (but just started english courses and smart!), Im by myself with them, but basically get a pension so wouldn t really need to work there (although I d rather do something). I ve been looking on the net about any school possibilities in Samui, and that s not very easy.

I ll be going to Mae Nam I reckon (if I can find a 3 bedroom house there)in september or october this year.I plan to employ somebody to help me in the house, does anybody know if it s easy to find somebody reliable, speakin english, and maybe with a driving license for that (or is it really a pipe dream?!)

Also, what kind of visa do we need? (we plan to stay between 6-8 months, for a start, and then we ll see what happens).

Any constructive advises?! :-) Thanks anyway to those who can help me on that one!

Hi Amila .. Check out http://www.samuischool.com. Supposed to be the best farang school on Samui .. if you can get in. Cheers

I have to disagree with michaels perception that he gets charged more because he is a farang. I speak the local dialect, have lived on koh phangan for years and always pay the thai price.

In fact, I pay the thai price for the taxi the few times a year that I make it to Samui.

Why is this so different from michael's experience? Perhaps because I do speak the local dialect making it obvious that I am not just a tourist but have lived here for a long time. Perhaps it is because I always dress politely and behave in a polite manner. Maybe its because I am a woman. I don't know but my experience is quite different from his.