Retired And Aging Ex-Immortal Expat Needs Insurance Advice.

AgentOkeyDokey

I am extremely aware of taking my life in my hands every time I take my scooter out. It is madness out there. I need accident insurance and emergancy health insurance and any related advice. (I am saving up to purchase a car.) Where should I go to get insurance? I heard about Bupa. Is that the way to go? Basically if I have an accident or emergency I don't want to be left to die or not seen promptly. Any advice is welcome as I know little next to nothing besides it seems pretty foolish to not to have these things in Thailand.

Don't know about the Siam Commercial Bank accident insurance policy, but the one from Bangkok Bank will allow you to purchase and be covered up to the age of 100. However, it doesn't cover accidents while driving or a passenger on motorbikes over the age of 50. It does cover if you're hit by a motorbike as a pedestrian, but not if you're on the motorbike.

Otherwise, it's an inexpensive policy and very easy to purchase.

Me dad is a couple of years older he can't get any insurance

For just accident insurance I get mine through the Siam Commercial bank. It is a 5 year policy and I got it at the age of 70.

Talk to the sponsors - AA Ins Brokers - they have PA for the oldies

• Like 1

BUPA is fine,their basic Sapphire package (within limitations) is what we have and have had no trouble with claims etc but if you are over 60 you cannot get cover.

If you start health care insurance before your 60th birthday then BUPA will cover for life.

• Like 1

Me dad is a couple of years older he can't get any insurance

For just accident insurance I get mine through the Siam Commercial bank. It is a 5 year policy and I got it at the age of 70.

They would not give me health insurance In fact they would not even send me for tests

At first they had me scheduled for them and then they said no way.

But they did give me accident insurance good for five years.

After that I don't know.

• Like 1

Agenet OD: I cant say I did a complete survey, but I was is a similar situation last year and ended up at the AA insurance office in Meechok Plaza. The guy there (named Kevin if I remember right) explained a number of coverage options for motorcycle accident coverage. I got a accident policy there for a bit over 5000 Bt (you can get cheaper than that but watch out for the coverage amounts). Again , AA in Meechok Plaza on the Maejo Road at the inner ring road.

re However, it doesn't cover accidents while driving or a passenger on motorbikes over the age of 50. It does cover if you're hit by a motorbike as a pedestrian, but not if you're on the motorbike. are yous sure about that .... it seems an odd get out clause can you quote in thai or english this clause from a policy ? dave2 . a bangkok bank accident insurance holder aged 64 : (

post-42592-0-27374500-1368934252_thumb.j

Edited by dave2

Its pretty standard. Statistically, most of the major accidents happen to people driving/riding on a motorbike. I have a additional accident policy through Kasikorn Bank/Muang Thai, that covers accidents on motorbike, but at a severely reduced rate (something like 300,000B for D&D on a bike)

re However, it doesn't cover accidents while driving or a passenger on motorbikes over the age of 50. It does cover if you're hit by a motorbike as a pedestrian, but not if you're on the motorbike. are yous sure about that .... it seems an odd get out clause can you quote in thai or english this clause from a policy ? dave2 . a bangkok bank accident insurance holder aged 64 : (

BUPA is fine,their basic Sapphire package (within limitations) is what we have and have had no trouble with claims etc but if you are over 60 you cannot get cover.

If you start health care insurance before your 60th birthday then BUPA will cover for life.

Correct,a good deal. And so far the premiums are not OTT for 2 of us.

I like www.imglobal.com I get 100 deductible, 500,000 max USD, coverage for about 2.30 per day.

I used them when I lived in Europe. After 2 years they wrote and said I was no longer a "traveler" but a resident of Europe. They cancelled my policy immediately. They are good while you are traveling and while getting settled in somewhere.

You didn't state your age. After a certain age in Thailand - I think it's 65 but not 100% sure, you become uninsurable at least for health insurance. Health insurance is the important one to have (it includes accident coverage). If you have a sudden coronary emergency, it could cost you 100-200K THB the first couple of days. Without insurance or immediate access to minimum 200K cash (or a credit card with minimum 200K available credit), the hospital won't touch you. You could look at Thai Health, AXA, Allianz, etc. if you are below the cutoff age.

Also I don't understand the "I am saving up to purchase a car." bit. Isn't that something you do when you are 17 years old? Why not just go out and buy one?

I like www.imglobal.com I get 100 deductible, 500,000 max USD, coverage for about 2.30 per day.

I used them when I lived in Europe. After 2 years they wrote and said I was no longer a "traveler" but a resident of Europe. They cancelled my policy immediately. They are good while you are traveling and while getting settled in somewhere.

It looks like they have policies for travelers and also policies for expats living abroad.

You didn't state your age. After a certain age in Thailand - I think it's 65 but not 100% sure, you become uninsurable at least for health insurance. Health insurance is the important one to have (it includes accident coverage.)

Also I don't understand the "I am saving up to purchase a car." bit. Isn't that something you do when you are 17 years old? Why not just go out and buy one?

I am older than 17 and less than 65. I don't have ready cash to buy outright or down payment to start an installment payment plan. So no it is not just what 17 years old do but also retired people on fixed incomes Edited by AgentOkeyDokey

You didn't state your age. After a certain age in Thailand - I think it's 65 but not 100% sure, you become uninsurable at least for health insurance. Health insurance is the important one to have (it includes accident coverage). If you have a sudden coronary emergency, it could cost you 100-200K THB the first couple of days. Without insurance or immediate access to minimum 200K cash (or a credit card with minimum 200K available credit), the hospital won't touch you. You could look at Thai Health, AXA, Allianz, etc. if you are below the cutoff age.

No! At 17 you con your dad into paying for a small car by threatenning to buy an $A80 000 V8 on finance.

It looks like they have policies for travelers and also policies for expats living abroad.

After the 1st year the company switched me to the ex-pat plan. After the 2nd year they wrote and said they were a company that offered "short-term solutions for the traveler and ex-pat" or something like that. I never once filed a claim with the company. Also I believe there is a qualification (there used to be) where you had to take out the 1st policy before you departed the USA. You had to provide a USA mailing address and provide details of your outbound flight. Maybe things have changed, I don't know.

You didn't state your age. After a certain age in Thailand - I think it's 65 but not 100% sure, you become uninsurable at least for health insurance. Health insurance is the important one to have (it includes accident coverage.)

I am older than 17 and less than 65. I don't have ready cash to buy outright or down payment to start an installment payment plan. So no it is not just what 17 years old do but also retired people on fixed incomes

You won't be able to purchase a car under an installment plan in Thailand unless you are Thai or have a job here, work permit, etc.

Any way back to the topic, since you are less than 65 you can get a health insurance plan which includes a good accident plan included in the price of the policy. As mentioned above you could try Thai, AXA and Allianz. My experience is that if you go to the English speaking agents that others recommended above, they will try and oversell you with an International policy that is overkill unless you make frequent trips abroad to the USA, Germany, etc. If you insist you want a cheaper policy for use in Thailand only, they will become less than helpful. All of the companies I mentioned have websites in English, just d/l the application, fill it in, transfer the money and wait for an answer.

Edited by elektrified

I am older than 17 and less than 65. I don't have ready cash to buy outright or down payment to start an installment payment plan. So no it is not just what 17 years old do but also retired people on fixed incomes
You won't be able to purchase a car under an installment plan in Thailand unless you are Thai or have a job here, work permit, etc.

Any way back to the topic, since you are less than 65 you can get a health insurance plan which includes a good accident plan included in the price of the policy. As mentioned above you could try Thai, AXA and Allianz. My experience is that if you go to the English speaking agents that others recommended above, they will try and oversell you with an International policy that is overkill unless you make frequent trips abroad to the USA, Germany, etc. If you insist you want a cheaper policy for use in Thailand only, they will become less than helpful. All of the companies I mentioned have websites in English, just d/l the application, fill it in, transfer the money and wait for an answer.

Really helpful. I hate being scammed. And I like saving money. I was going to go down to AA but i will check your suggestions online first. This is the kind of advice I was hoping for. I will check this out. Thanks.

About the car. I have already talked to the Honda dealer across from Big C on Super Highway. 15% down without a Thai Guarantor and with proof of income/pension and good credit and my retirement visa is all I need. I have a friend that has a great Hillux pickup this is what he did and suggested I check it out. I did. I know exactly how much I need to save/have for the 15%.

Edited by AgentOkeyDokey

You can get a health policy up to age 71 expensive.

I bought the highest level BUPA health insurance policy at age 64 for 62,000 Baht. The next year it was 67,000. Then I made a claim for 12,000, which they honored, but only after a lot of paperwork back and forth with Bangkok. Next year the rate went to 82,000, and I dropped out. I try to stay healthy, and can cover most normal things out of pocket at McCormick Hospital, a wonderful local institution. Imagine, a complete medical exam for 2500 baht! I am nervous about the future, though.

• Like 1

I bought the highest level BUPA health insurance policy at age 64 for 62,000 Baht. The next year it was 67,000. Then I made a claim for 12,000, which they honored, but only after a lot of paperwork back and forth with Bangkok. Next year the rate went to 82,000, and I dropped out. I try to stay healthy, and can cover most normal things out of pocket at McCormick Hospital, a wonderful local institution. Imagine, a complete medical exam for 2500 baht! I am nervous about the future, though.

You echo my thoughts exactly regarding being nervous about future health problems.Its no longer possible for me,and i would suggest many others, to pay 80,000 b plus for cover and my home country ,Australia ,has demoted me from our "free" health system as I have been out of the country for too long despite paying a lot of tax over 45 years. So all one can do is follow a healthy regime,get regular check ups, to prevent rather than cure and be thankful when we eventually fall of the perch that McCormick only charge 5,000 baht for cremation,or so I have been told biggrin.png

I started BUPA years ago and noticed that as long as I didn't let the policy lapse I could renew it each year regardless of age, but of course the premiums escalate pretty rapidly as you get older and I don't think they even publish quotes beyond a certain age, so it would seem they might make the premium so onerous at some point as to discourage renewal if they thought you were making too many claims.

Fortunately for me, my US based, pension-related medical insurance kicked in when I turned 65, so I dropped BUPA.