Red Shirts Gather At Ratchaprasong; Mark 3Rd Anniversary Of May 19 Crackdown

Lite Beer

Right now they are selling weapons at the red demonstration! Here is a picture I took at 3 pm

I am glad the police were searching them all for weapons on the way into the 'gathering' ! whistling.gif

Apart from the knives i am glad the cross bow isnt a lethal weapon on sale at a protest. rolleyes.gif

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just so want the yellows to arrange a similarly disruptive 'gathering', absolutely identical mind, same place, same numbers, say maybe next week, blocking off main roads and costing Central 1/2 a days business and see how far it gets. See if the police even let them set up camp and take a seat.

I agree, they should not be allowed to block the road. I think they should hold the protest at the airport.

Actually, why is it legal for people to hold these protests wherever they want? Aren't there any laws regulating this sort of thing?

Give it time and maybe all protests of any kind will be illegal. sad.png

Right now they are selling weapons at the red demonstration! Here is a picture I took at 3 pm

Nothing unusual here, just a few small knives whistling.gif (everyone should have at least one), binoculars, wallets and a few BB guns.

The guy will probably do quite well tonight and hopefully this will not encourage anyone to go Rambo.

All you need for a peaceful demo.

Edited by ratcatcher

I wonder if this year they sell red shirts with nice, new images, or the old ones with the real and fake Shinawatra PM in majestic attire like on this photo from last year rolleyes.gif

post-58-0-80225500-1368962881_thumb.jpg

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

I just so want the yellows to arrange a similarly disruptive 'gathering', absolutely identical mind, same place, same numbers, say maybe next week, blocking off main roads and costing Central 1/2 a days business and see how far it gets. See if the police even let them set up camp and take a seat.

I agree, they should not be allowed to block the road. I think they should hold the protest at the airport.

Actually, why is it legal for people to hold these protests wherever they want? Aren't there any laws regulating this sort of thing?

Indeed. Go sit on lumpini, but you see the others did it, so we can.

I wonder if this year they sell red shirts with nice, new images, or the old ones with the real and fake Shinawatra PM in majestic attire like on this photo from last year rolleyes.gif

attachicon.gif2012-05-19 new red Tshirt.jpg

This year's shirts shown today are very similar.

The re-building of the spiked bamboo and tires barricades is a bit disconcerting. Hopefully they won't set them ablaze again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgc7owWPtos

Thousands of Thai Red Shirts mark deadly crackdown

BANGKOK, May 19, 2013 (AFP) - Around 20,000 Red Shirt protesters rallied in Bangkok Sunday to mark the third anniversary of a bloody crackdown on anti-government protests which exposed Thailand's deep divisions, police said.

About 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 wounded in a series of street clashes in May 2010 between demonstrators and security forces, which culminated in the military crackdown.

On Sunday roads were blocked as Red Shirts, loyal to ousted self-exiled former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, massed at an intersection in Bangkok's glitzy shopping district.

Central World, Thailand's largest shopping mall which was torched in the final days of the 2010 protest, was also closed while the colourful rally took place.

Thai special branch estimated that 20,000 people had joined the gathering by early evening.

"The protest is peaceful," said Police Major General Chantavit Ramasut earlier, adding that around 750 policemen were keeping watch.

Thailand has been racked by sometimes explosive political divisions since Thaksin was ousted by the army in a 2006 coup.

Rights groups have called for the perpetrators of the 2010 violence to be prosecuted. They condemn moves by the current government of Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's sister, to push through an amnesty for the political violence.

Analysts say an amnesty would both appease the royalist army and pave the way for Thaksin's bid to return to the kingdom.

"Three years ago, the world saw soldiers shooting protesters and parts of Bangkok going up in flames," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.

"But instead of investigating and prosecuting those responsible, successive Thai governments and the army have politicised efforts for justice and are now backing an amnesty bill that would let everyone off the hook."

The crackdown followed weeks of rallies by the Red Shirts which brought parts of central Bangkok to a standstill.

Then-prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who oversaw the military crackdown, has blamed protest leaders for the violent denouement and said his government had no choice but to take tough action.

Courts have ruled that some protesters were killed by security forces, leading to charges of murder being laid against Abhisit -- accusations he strenuously denies.

A trial of 24 Red Shirt leaders on terrorism charges began in December but five of them enjoy immunity as they are now lawmakers, so the case is expected to take years to complete during breaks in the parliamentary session.

The Red Shirts were demanding immediate elections, accusing Abhisit's government of coming to power unfairly in 2008 through a parliamentary vote after a court stripped Thaksin's allies of power.

On Sunday the memory of the dead was still raw.

"I come every year and I have to come every year, I miss the people who sacrificed themselves, I will come until there is real democracy," said Thanadej Nonprocha, 45, from the Red Shirt heartland of northeastern Thailand.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-05-19

Once again, lawlessness prevails and only red shirt law dominates the city.

"Red-shirt guards used barriers and trucked to block the both inbound and outbound Rajdamri Road for setting up a stage."

http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Red-shirts-rally-at-Rajprasong-Rajdamri-Road-close-30206465.html

Might as well tell the police to go home and let the red guard police the rally.

2013-05-19

Around 20,000 Red Shirt protesters rallied in Bangkok Sunday to mark the third anniversary

Nearly reached her estimate.

2013-05-15

Thida Tojirakarn, Chairwoman of the UDD, estimated that over 100,000 Redshirts will show up.

Thaksin To Skype With Redshirts Rally On 19 May

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639466-thaksin-to-skype-with-redshirts-rally-on-19-may/#entry6401753

attachicon.gif2012-05-19 new red Tshirt.jpg

Why on earth would you 'wonder' that Rubl.....thinking of buying one!

Buying one, to complement my collection you mean? Not really. Just trying to stay up-to-date, in tune with the normal people, use my internet connection to broaden my view, etc., etc.

When going to work I can wear a nice shirt, but political slogans or images are not recommended. Furthermore some of the banks I work see 'red' when wearing the wrong colour wink.png

This footage is of the Sathorn Narathiwas intersection, not Ratchaprasong.

That is not Sathorn Narathiwas, looks like Henri Dunant St at Siam Paragon.

You see the Standard Chartered Bank in the footage. That's on that intersection. It was taken in 2010, before the new bridge connecting the BTS Chongnonsi and the Bus station on the Narathiwas road.

• Like 1

"Aren't there any laws regulating this sort of thing?"

Yes! in North Korea!

20:35 (aka 08:35 PM). Did our most popular criminal fugitive already skype-in?

Delayed as has to you the international connection in the Thai Intranet. giggle.gif Maybe they are using Thai 3G at the site cheesy.gif

Interesting. I synchronized with time.windows.com before posting, maybe the TV server is off a wee bit?wink.png

You see the Standard Chartered Bank in the footage. That's on that intersection. It was taken in 2010, before the new bridge connecting the BTS Chongnonsi and the Bus station on the Narathiwas road.

My bad, jut watched it again. Didn't notice Standard Charted the first time.

Eighteen companies of police officers have been deployed in the protest site and screen for weapons at the venue.

Why didn't they do their jobs 3 years ago? The government of the day had nowhere to turn but the army who responded to force exactly like you would expect an army to.

Military and judiciary installed government, obviously lacked a little 'on the ground' support, that is what comes of ignoring the electorate I guess. Also note no military no problem.

Ignoring the electorate ... who's representatives elected Abhisit PM?

Robby nz, on 19 May 2013 - 15:23, said:snapback.png

Those of you who do facebook have a look at the video on there of the reds being chased out by the local people who it seems are not too happy about them being there.

Do you have a link or other way of going directly to the video? Thanks.

Try

Havent tried it yet but will now.

The people are yelling, "Get out".

The picture in post #4 is clearly taken in front of MBK.

They're talking about the video in #16.

They're talking about the video in #16.

Shame, video's are of limits for me since I rely on the Thai 3G for my internet connection.

post-9891-0-09075200-1368972286_thumb.jp

This is the shot from post #4 and I think you will find it is taken outside Central World looking towards the Ratchaprasong intersection with the BTS Silom line curving off down towards Silom area.

The Sukumvit line passes above the stage. The Royal Thai Police General Hospital on the right behind the BTS tracks.