Looking For Reliable Curtain Maker In Chiang Mai

PoodMaiDai

There's an excellent curtain maker, with v. good English in Warawot market, in a fairly wide soi which is close to Thae Pae Rd. sorry cannot be more specific than that. Could be Kuang Men Rd. (see Google Earth)

She made all the curtains for the house I moved into (21 windows), and I'm sure she would be able to handle a sun blocking backing. Avoid the bigger stores in the city; about 5x the cost.

It took about 5 working days for the order to be ready for collection, complete with neat little matching straps to tie back the curtains.

We purchased curtains from the Indian shop at the rear of BIG C on the Super Highway.

Its a very large shop about one street back from BIG C

That maybe the place I used, IS Curtains, run by a Sikh gentleman, behind what used to be Carrefor, excellent service.

Correct..Could not remember the name etc

The guy came round to the house with various material books, measured and priced

Then a week or so later came and installed the cutains

We also fitted black out material (silver colour) in the bedrooms

We purchased curtains from the Indian shop at the rear of BIG C on the Super Highway.

Its a very large shop about one street back from BIG C

The name of this shop is I.S. Curtain, and the Sikh Thai who owns it has a three story penthouse above the multi-story building with parking. He use to work out of a little shop on the one way street downtown, but made a great sucess of his business and built his building the way he wanted.

I have been using him for 12 years and as recently as this week for repairs of hardware. He is excellent with a wide variety of fabrics and other window coverings. I found a heavy dark fabric to my liking that doesn't allow light to penetrate it so I was able to avoid a "blackout lining" at extra cost.

He uses the nickniame "Bob" and he and his four sons speak excellent English. You can't go wrong and I would follow any suggestion he makes if you are undecided. If you want him personally, you may have to make an apointment or ask that he come down from his mansion upstairs. His staff are helpful, but not at the level of Bob. In the old days he actually came out to my home to do the measurements and staff installed. I would let them measure if the fit is important as there are many unseen error opportunities that can be made by the non-expert.

He is located behind the Big C Extra and HomePro on the super highway and he also sells mattresses, childrens clothes and toys in his building.

Edited by ProThaiExpat
  • Like 1

We used the shop right next to Chiang Mai Klaymour Hospital "sorry for the spelling" on Hang Dong road . Black out curtains 3 rooms two sliding glass doors and blinds in the kitchen .

$25,000 baht installed . Very pleased with there service and the quality . We checked several places and they seemed to be the best price wise . Im not sure what percentage of UV blockage we have but in the brightest time of day I can close the curtins and have almost total darkness .....

• Like 1

Any idea how drapes/curtains compare to venetian blinds wrt practicality, durability, cost ,and ease in keeping them clean of the dust that seems to coat everything in the CMai valley. Cheers.

Personal taste contrils here, however, I have both narrow blinds in my entry way and roman fabrick shades thoughout the rest of the house and the shades win out with me. Perhaps the fact that I have a large Western exposure and am caused to lower and raise the shades every day keeps them from appearing dusty. They have been hanging for ten years and are still quite usable although a mark or two do appear. Maybe I will get them cleaned one of these days.They are light gold in color with white minor hash marks or dots.

Blinds gather dust like a magnet and are really not a viable option if you leave your windows open in CM to get airflow, in my view.

• 2 months later...

If you do use the shop near Klaimore Hospital, make sure that you double and triple check the measurements with them, or have them come out to do the measurements. I ordered curtains for 5 windows and 1 door for my house in the U.S. I brought the curtains back Tuesday and unpacked them Wednesday. I haven't tried to hang the curtains for the windows yet but they did manage to reverse the measurement for the window on the door, making the curtain 41 inches wide and 27 inches long (reversing my measurements). Rather than argue with them, I just asked how much it would cost to make a new curtain, which was 1,000 baht. I agreed to pay it and was going to use my credit card to pay for the curtain and to ship it to the U.S (they do take credit cards at the store). She refused to do this and wanted to be paid in cash and have someone else handle the shipping. All this while having my step daughter do the translation over the phone, as the lady doesn't speak English. I wouldn't use her services again if she had the only curtain shop in Thailand. I still have the list of curtains and the measurements in front of me and I gave her the measurements as they were written. The curtains for the windows look to be the right length and width but it will probably be 2 weeks before I get around to hanging the curtain rods for them, so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed until then.

That is the same curtain shop that I used. It is run by a husband and wife team, with the wife handling the customers. I originally called there and asked if they spoke English and she said she spoke a little and then handed the phone to an English customer there that spoke Thai and he translated for me and answered some questions. I went to the shop the next day, as I had 3 weeks to get the curtains and it took them two weeks to make, and had my 2 step daughters, who speak both thai and English, with me. I went by myself to pick up the curtains, as I only had to pay the 50% balance due and there were no questions. I've called twice from the U.S. and both times have been given the run around and asked to call back 3 hours later. With 12 hours difference, I was calling at 9:30 PM Central daylight time (9:30 AM Chiang Mai time), so I wasn't going to wait up until 12:30 AM to call them back. I next expect that they will use caller ID to avoid answering the phone and hope that I will go away. If that is excellent English and excellent customer service, then I stand corrected.

I forgot to add that I had taken pictures of every window and door that I wanted curtains on and showed them to her for suggestions on fabric and color, I'm not sure how the measurements got reversed on her order but as I gave them just after she saw the photo of the door (and being in the business for years), she should have caught the mistake then. But, like I said, I was willing to pay for her mistake but it is pretty obvious that she wants to wash her hands of the matter.

I needed new curtains for the two windows in my condo room.

I asked the Senior Maid in my condominium.

She speaks about the same amount of English as I speak Thai, Zero.

She understood, phoned and within one hour a Thai guy turned up with a Cloth Pattern book.

He measured up and I managed to explain I wanted a backing Sun blocker.

We agreed a price and he delivered a week later.

My Maid fitted them for me.

john

That is the same curtain shop that I used. It is run by a husband and wife team, with the wife handling the customers. I originally called there and asked if they spoke English and she said she spoke a little and then handed the phone to an English customer there that spoke Thai and he translated for me and answered some questions. I went to the shop the next day, as I had 3 weeks to get the curtains and it took them two weeks to make, and had my 2 step daughters, who speak both thai and English, with me. I went by myself to pick up the curtains, as I only had to pay the 50% balance due and there were no questions. I've called twice from the U.S. and both times have been given the run around and asked to call back 3 hours later. With 12 hours difference, I was calling at 9:30 PM Central daylight time (9:30 AM Chiang Mai time), so I wasn't going to wait up until 12:30 AM to call them back. I next expect that they will use caller ID to avoid answering the phone and hope that I will go away. If that is excellent English and excellent customer service, then I stand corrected.

My experience was completely opposite. The transaction was conducted in English with the woman. I didn't have anything passed along and translated by English customers or other third parties.

They came to my house right on time, measured meticulously, and delivered and hung the curtains right on time and for less than the agreed-upon price.

I can only guess what went on with your experience.

So it goes.

I can only suggest that you call the number that you listed and see if the person that answers understands English. Possibly, the person t Customer service is only worth hat you dealt with is no longer there. I dealt with them last month and as short a time as yesterday. Customer service is only as good as the people that stand behind their mistakes. It sounds like your experience went well. Part of my problem may be because I did the measurements in feet and they had to convert inches to meters. Like I said, paying an additional 1,000 baht for a small curtain isn't a big deal. By refusing to charge the amount over the phone and at least mail the curtain to my house in Bosang (and then asking me twice to call back in 3 hours), they showed me that customer service after the sale isn't a high priority for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. The last two days, I hung curtains from Muang Tong Decorations and no problems at all with the curtains (I did manage to fall off a ladder while hanging the largest curtains, 9 by 10 feet). I'm very happy with the material and the cost. I decided to call them and try to settle any differences. It turns out that my step daughter Mia understood them and they had made a new curtain for the door (reversing the measurements). Instead of costing 1,000 baht, they are charging 800 baht. They still didn't offer to charge the amount to my credit card, or to mail the small curtain to the U.S., but I can have the lady that is care taking at my house pick them up (I'll send the money by Moneygram) and I'll have the housesitter mail them to me. Any dispute with the store is over and I'm very happy with the product and the cost and, generally, with the service.

• Like 1